Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Yes I agree. Alaska is not for everyone and I think they are being honest as they see it.
Even if you love Alaska, the day to day struggle can be really hard when you don't know anyone. It can be hard to find new friends no matter where you live if you are new to the area. People get caught up in just surviving and sometimes can't make time for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I prefer the isolation, the lack of nightclubs, nearly out of date food (stuff don't sit for long in my frig anyway), moose, long dark winter nights (and days), the lack of highdollar shopping, the lack of highdollar restraunts, and most of all...the lack of people.

It's perfect in every way!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM

432 posts, read 760,449 times
///
reconsider moving here...have you visited in the winter and the summer???? If not do it before moving...and meet people...and look around....i didn't and i regret it big time...selling all my brand new furniture and leaving as soon as i can clear the al can!! Never returning...winter sucks and so do the people i work with...don't have children here...no good daycare at all! Feeling of isolation is big ....not much shopping...expensive in the winter...gas and food...omg....only one way in and out of anchorage is stupid! And takes forever to get to work in the mornings...schools for kids are crap....i hate everything about this state except it's beauty....i am heading home..
///

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think we may be taking this wrong, sounds like maybe a young person in a bad spot.
Perhaps, but I don't wonder that she's having trouble meeting people.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 PM

128 posts, read 295,119 times
Default you got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I prefer the isolation, the lack of nightclubs, nearly out of date food (stuff don't sit for long in my frig anyway), moose, long dark winter nights (and days), the lack of highdollar shopping, the lack of highdollar restraunts, and most of all...the lack of people.

It's perfect in every way!
Isolation! I love where i live, in a little cabin. I only go to town to work and when I feel like being around people. and no high dollar shopping? Well that's even better, I only spend money on things I need. LEVIS' and good hiking boots, that's where I spend my money. The only thing a good hike up a mountain costs, is a few thousand calories and a little rubber off those expensive feet gear.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 PM

31 posts, read 85,157 times
Default Not a snob

First..I put a smile on my face every day and try to make friends..Where do you live because I am telling you the people in my neighborhood haven't said one word..heck I never have even seen any of them outside. Restaurants..hmm Chili's in Wasilla used to be filthy and service bad, they must have gotten a new manager on board because it's changed for the better. Outback in Anchorage, one night awesome everything and the next week they were out of 3 kinds of steaks, ribs and the waiter never came back after we finally got our food. Salons..I found one in Palmer..she was awesome..as for friends...nope none yet..sitters?? Oh haven't found good quality care yet..oh I did just find a friend of mine that I knew as a teenager living in the area, he's moving in June..pretty much has the same opinion of this place..we finally went out and had a blast. I am not a snob, nor do I frown all the time. I am not materialistic by any means! if you knew me you could see that. I don't look at what someone is wearing, driving or the house they live in..I judge people for who they are inside..I have had some say to me oh excuse the house it's so dirty..I came to see them not their house..If you are a good person at heart that's all I care about..believe me! I open doors for people..I even cleaned off all the mud off my coworkers head lights and have cleared snow off their cars before, without them knowing..but not once did someone even notice enough to ask around or say hey someone did this for me that was nice..I would have never told them it was me..i smile and say hi to all..believe me, I am not sure where you live or your age or if you work or not..but where I work it's a clique...and i have been told nobody new or old is invited into the clique..everyone else doesn't want to know anything about anyone here, I have tried to start conversations with people and they say they don't have time and don't want to know anything personal about anyone at work..keep it all work related. Kids have spit in my kids face on the bus..made nasty comments to my kids..because they want to have fun and act a little silly..they bully him and call him names..Then I post it here...and all of you do the same..you ASSUME..IT'S ME..believe me I am the most honest, care free fun loving person..and love to have many many friends!! love to keep busy and do things..yet,, for some reason have not found one friend here yet. you people can point fingers call me names but it doesn't bother me because I know I have given it everything I have and been nice..but enough is enough..when I came here last summer it was so different..so nice..boy does it change with the seasons? not sure..frankly not concerned anymore,,I have my high school buddy and we are having fun until we both move, this state if gorgeous..just wish I had a different experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
WOW! Are you sure its not your attitude?? I just moved here a month ago and absolutely love it! I have so many friends and someone is always wanting to do something so we are never bored! I've found numerous restaurants who are excellent and there's plenty of shopping unless you're high maintenance, I found a wonderful hair salon that is right up there with the best salon in any big city. I know my neighbors and they are very welcoming and everyone I work with is great and have become my friends. I think its all in the attitude, put a smile on your face and be friendly to those around you and you'll notice a big difference. The only negative here is the lack of attractive single men, but I can always import one....LOL.....
But then again my opinion of anyone from Florida isn't very high....I think its a state full of snobs and maybe you're one of them.....

Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Yes you are absolutely right...I am a young person..in a bad spot..no family support..spouse is overseas (not military, but a contractor). I work long hours yes I am in a bad spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think we may be taking this wrong, sounds like maybe a young person in a bad spot.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I cannot even totally read it's blip(masterhulu...)....hurts my eyes, and glad to see what I figured is true

What is it you figure...please pipe in with your opinion of me it's so funny to hear..since I am totally the opposite of what I have read so far...

Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
master of nothing...obviously

Captain of Nothing...obviously

Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM

Default Thank You!

Thank You for showing some kindness. You also sound like a very well rounded person who understands. I love the beauty of this state, I love the summers. I have yet to make a friend here, I work long hours in the medical profession and with no family around it's very very difficult. I have traveled to many parts of this state with my job and only one little village offered the friendliest people by far.

I agree, there are ups and downs to every place in this world. I love the beauty of the mountains here..the wildlife..it's breathtaking..just haven't met many friendly people.

Thank you again...so many people jump to conclusions and tell you to get the heck out..nasty comments..it's nice to have a friendly one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
Sorry to hear you are having such a miserable time.

I think your point of suggesting people visit at DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE YEAR is very well taken. The long, cold winters are not for everyone. Also I'm sure the extended periods of dark can be a challenge. However, different people have different expectations, resources and coping strategies.

There is no one sided penny. EVERY place has up sides and downs sides. (Except maybe Gila Bend. Haven't found the upside there yet. Sorry Gila Bend, I just don't get the attraction.)

I've talked to a few people who moved to Alaska and later regretted it, couldn't wait to get out. Yet I've also communicated with MANY who say it was the best thing they ever did....EVEN for those who did not stay.

Lonliness and isolation are epidemic in our culture these days, no matter where people live. More and more people are finding themselves cut off from others in our highly mobile, high tech/low touch world.

But there ARE ways to address that.

Alaska has very real challenges, and very real blessings. I'm just glad to have access to this forum to get MANY different points of view before I make the big jump.

Hope you are able to find whatever it is you need to be at peace, whether that be in AK or the L48.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Jebus, you still here?

Can I ask why you are so nasty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska