Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Advertisements

One can make it to the Alaska border with a one top off from Haines, top off in Destruction Bay. You can make it to Alaska with that one tank and gas up on the other side of Port Alcan, you can make it to Tok from there with a half tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 04:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
One can make it to the Alaska border with a one top off from Haines, top off in Destruction Bay. You can make it to Alaska with that one tank and gas up on the other side of Port Alcan, you can make it to Tok from there with a half tank.
I made it from Haines to the other side of port Alcan on almost one tank of gas. If it was one tank of gas, I would've been coasting into the station.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
USAFfamily07..... have a beautiful drive with those doggies! I'm the one who referred you here from tripadvisor & it's touching how many other military folks on the move up that you've connected with! Hope you can touch base with them in Fairbanks.

I also hope you can come on here to give us a blow-by-blow of you travels up.
Hey there, I really do thank you for turning me onto this website as it has been a great wealth of knowledge. We are having a great time and we have had great weather so far. We are in Edmonton now and we are heading onto Dawson Creek tomorrow. We have a few more stops after that till we hit Alaska. We are stopping in Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Haines Junction, and then Tok. We are having a great trip and the dogs are doing well. We have not been able to find chains for our size tires. Any ideas??? Our car has done well other than replacing 2 tires in Great Falls MT. We had a nail in one and had it patched in Sioux City then we had a belt slip in the other in Great Falls so we replaced both and then kept the patched one by reccomendation of the tire guy in case we need it on our way. We are really liking our trip so far and we have seen and taken many great pictures. The one part of the trip I am a little nervous about is from Fort Nelson to Watson Lake, I have heard that the roads there are a little scary. The weather so far on our trip has been pretty good and we are praying everyday/night that we have the same weather the rest of the trip. The sun has been brightly shining and we are loving it as are the dogs when they are sleeping in the back of the car. Any other recommendations as we head for the north 40. Thanks for the info so far and we will continue to post as we go farther north. Thanks Bongo, I will post some pics on here when we land in Alaska for all to see!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM

You can make Fort Nelson if you leave early enough in the morning in one day!

Take this route and bypass Grand Prairie, Alberta. This place is always a mess traffic wise.

Edmonton, AB, Canada to Dawson Creek, BC, Canada - Google Maps

Drive BC for road reports.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Edmonton, AB, Canada to Fort Nelson, BC, Canada - Google Maps

Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Go...Go...Go...listen to Warpt and have a safe trip

Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Alaska Road Traveler Information Service (http://511.alaska.gov/default.asp?display=all&area=STATEWIDE_AK&textOnly =False - broken link)

You have this....right?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 AM

Do not do the drive from Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night, I've never done and I don't recommend anyone driving at night through this area. There are caribou, elk, moose, dall sheep, stone sheep, and buffalo in between the two. There is a 10% grade at Steamboat Mountain, this is always well sanded and cleared in the winter. If you run into a storm or know one is coming when you get up that way, wait a day or two and they'll have it down to pavement or most of the way to it in no time. The farther north you go, you will run into pea-gravel on the road instead of sand. SLOW down when you see a semi coming your way and don't pull off too far to the side or the shoulder will grab a hold of your tires.

Yukon road reports... Yukon 511 Road Condition Report

Do stop in Buckinghorse between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson, great food. In Fort Nelson there is a Chicken themed restaurant that has great breakfasts, it's across the road from the A&W drive thru. On that side of the road they also have a IGA Grocery store, you can stock up on water and sandwiches here. If you want a good lunch you can stop in Toad River, good food there, too. If you have a extra baseball cap, you can donate it to them and they'll give you a numbered card to which cap is yours.

Here are some shots of you to look forward to when you leave Fort Nelson.

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Alcan 2009 (joe joe)

Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
[quote=warptman;

Do stop in Buckinghorse between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson, great food. In Fort Nelson there is a Chicken themed restaurant that has great breakfasts, it's across the road from the A&W drive thru. On that side of the road they also have a IGA Grocery store, you can stock up on water and sandwiches here. If you want a good lunch you can stop in Toad River, good food there, too. If you have a extra baseball cap, you can donate it to them and they'll give you a numbered card to which cap is yours.
[U][/u]
Warpt...you have got to write a food/lodging page or blog for all travelers!!! I am still waiting for it by the way!!! I have printed this out and added it to my many many pages of info you have posted for the drive up! thanks your a sweetie for giving such great info!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times
Warpt thanks for the help like blueflames50 said you really should start your own travel page on the Alcan. You have been a great help to me and my family and we really appreciate it. We are in Dawson Creek tonight and we are leaving in the morning for Fort Nelson. We have had a great trip so far and we are really looking foward to the rest. We are really glad that we have planned the trip with the shorter drives on the end of our trip so that we have time to relax and enjoy some time in the places that we stop. We still have 5 days and 4 nights till we get to Eielson but we are definitely glad that we have had the help on this site. Our last stops are going to be Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Haines Junction and Tok at fast eddy's. We have had many prayers being said from Florida and beyond that have been answered and we appreciate the great wisdom from you and the others on this site. If we have any questions we will be sure to ask and wait for help! Thanks again and I am going to post a few pictures when we reach our destination so that people can see our journey through gods great land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska