Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
OK so we have decided to drive the whole way from Florida to Fairbanks going through Canada. We are going to be leaving on the 5th. We were going to take the ferry but we have decided against it. We are going to take the Trans Canada Highway to the Alcan highway. Will we need tire cables when going through the canadian rockies? We really want to do the drive instead so we can see the amazing scenary. Please let me know what the thoughts are. We have the block heater and all the emergency equipment for the car. I am glad that I have a very fuel efficient car to make this drive. We also have a GPS for the trip. Would we be better off buying tires in the US or in canada? Please let me know thanks!!!
you might want to check the price of Canadian gas vs US...pop up into Canada for the scenic part....just a thought....Warpt...any suggestions here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times
We are going to enter Canada closest to Winnipeg and the go west from there. I think we will go up though North Dakota. I looked at gas proces yesterday and they were 93 cents a liter. The government is paying for our move so we have 13 days and we get reimbursed for most of our expenses. My car gets about 28 MPG on the highway so it is really good on gas.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
We are going to enter Canada closest to Winnipeg and the go west from there. I think we will go up though North Dakota. I looked at gas proces yesterday and they were 93 cents a liter. The government is paying for our move so we have 13 days and we get reimbursed for most of our expenses. My car gets about 28 MPG on the highway so it is really good on gas.
by all means then go thru Canada!! Enjoy the drive!!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Looks like your adventure has changed! How exciting for you. It's a beautiful drive, although I have never done it in the winter so can't give advise there.

Are you planning on getting studded snow tires?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 PM

I don't know if we will get studs as we would have to change them again in 4 months and I don't have a ton of money we may just get some good snow tires. I have not lived in the cold for awhile so we will see. I have heard that good snow tires will get you just as far as studs. It is hard when you are moving as we can't take everything with us. I am looking foward to the drive as living in Florida there is not much nature around. We will take our time, enjoy the scenary and have a great time doing the whole thing.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times
Haven't done the drive but we did it from SC at the end of March 2008. So many memories were made on that trip. So many things we seen and would like to explore more. I hope you have a great trip like we did. And if you go through Toad make sure you stop at the little store/restaurant its a really neat place.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
I really don't wish to throw ice cold water on your trip driving through Canada but 13 days from Florida to Fairbanks sounds awfully rushed in the middle of winter. You said you are putting on snow tires but those tires are not the greatest on dry pavement which I am sure you will hit coming up from Florida. All season tires do well on both pavement and very light snow and uniced condition. Are you bringing an extra set of tires or are you buying and switching your tires near the border or in Canada?
A personal question, where are you stationed in Florida? I was at the "Cape" in the beginning 50s.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Hey went back and read some and seen where you are from August,GA...LOL We were neighbors I was from a little town called Gilbert very close to Batesburg/leesville and lexington,SC. So cool that you will be here in Fairbanks as well. I work at Fred Meyers by Walmart in the liquor dept. please stop in and say hi.Ask for Patricia. I totally love this site and it helped me so much when I made my move. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 PM

hehe 13 days don't sound rush to me at all. We did it in 5 but that was at the end of March we were outrunning a huge snow storm so we only stopped when we had no other choice. The one thing I can say is I wished I had brought more to drink in our cooler as sodas were very expensive and so were snacks. Also carry a gas can with you because that was one fear we always had.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM

No we were going to buy the snow tires closer to Canada. I already have all season tires on my vehicle seeing as how it is only one year old and they only have 10000 miles on them. I wish I didn't have to change them at all but travelling in February we have no choice. I am stationed at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach. It is the emerald coast but I am not a big fan of the ocean or the heat so I am glad that we are moving to Alaska. I was thinking that we could get the tires closer to Edmonton since the all seasons should make us that far. I have gotten a lot of good advice on here and we have taken all of it and put it to good use, but we willtake any more that we can get before we leave. I wish I could find someone who has travelled this route when we are but I guess no one is as dumb as we are.......ha ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska