Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:45 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
My family and I are driving to Alaska via the ferry to Haines. I had a few questions to ask about driving from Haines to Fairbanks.

How impossible is this going to be? I have heard both sides of the story and I want to get as much information as possible. We should be arriving in Haines by the 15th of February and have plans to stay at Haines Junction and then again in Beaver Creek before driving into Fairbanks. I am planning on having snow tires put on my car and have a block heater installed too. Any info on how the drive will be will be a great help.

Also if anyone has travelled the ferry with dogs can you give me a few pointers on the travel. I have 2 dogs going with us and they are our kids so there is no option to leave them behind.

I know there are many people who are very familiar with these things on here and I want to learn from the ones who have done it! Thanks.
Great advices guys. I may add you may wish to stock up with some food in Bell' before boarding including maybe a cooler for the perishable.The ferry food is somewhat pricy. Of course, if the AF is paying for caviar then no prob. You can always restock for a meal or 2 each time they allow 'dog breaks'. I know young people can do sleeping bags in the lounge w/no prob. but for old guys like me, a cabin is the way to go.Then you have your own shower. Still, if you and your other 1/2 can survive 4 nights in a bag, more power to you. I'd offer you and your family my place to crash in Haines but it is only 1/2 built. Besides, I am back in the lower 48.
Just be VERY very careful driving a 2 wheeler during this time of year in the North Country. This is especially true on hills and curves which you will encounter almost immediately going toward Haines Jct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,366,267 times
I am also a member of the control-freak club. When planning a move as big as this, that's not always a bad thing

Just to give you a sense of what to expect, this is our 11 yr old Lightning who thoroughly enjoyed her 4 day ferry trip.......well.......okay.......maybe not. She did very well, and there's a sense of camaraderie with the other passengers as you gather in the stairwells for the "car deck calls". Folks call out to each other and cheer when the more shy dogs finally "go".......

Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Depending on when the last storm goes through, there will be sections where you can go 50-60 mph. There will be sections where you'll be going 20-30 mph too.
I forgot to add that you'll do those speeds during the summer too. It's just that there will be more slower sections in the winter and they'll likely be for a longer distance. If you happen to be traveling between storms, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Check out Alaska Road Traveler Information Service and www.511yukon.ca for the latest road reports.

I mistakenly thought you were arriving mid-morning in Haines. For the time you are scheduled to arrive, you'll likely be traveling in the dark that last hour or so. It shouldn't be a problem with animals on the road and you'll have already traveled through the major pass.

If you haven't heard of it already, your pets will need to have a health certificate done within 30 days of crossing the border into Alaska. They may never ask for it at the border or ferry terminal, but you don't want to get delayed if they do.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,745,969 times
[quote=akvarmit;12301746]I am also a member of the control-freak club. When planning a move as big as this, that's not always a bad thing

Just to give you a sense of what to expect, this is our 11 yr old Lightning who thoroughly enjoyed her 4 day ferry trip.......well.......okay.......maybe not. She did very well, and there's a sense of camaraderie with the other passengers as you gather in the stairwells for the "car deck calls". Folks call out to each other and cheer when the more shy dogs finally "go".......
OMG! Dawn and Doug....Lightnings brother is living in MA!!! Lightning the only other dog that I have seen with markings like him!!! Bogie is not a pure bred Dalmatian!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 PM

12 posts, read 32,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
Yes the military is paying for the trip so we are going to take the ferry from Bellingham. I think the dogs will do ok we may get a light sedative just to relax them and make it a bit easier. I can't have kids so my dogs are my kids and we love them so of course I worry about them as I would my kids. I know many people think that is crazy but whatever.....
The info has helped a lot. People in Alaska are so much friendlier than people in the south and that is good! I was wondering if there are many mountain passes (like sheer cliff passes) on the drive or is it just inclines? I have driven the PA turnpike in the dead of winter with no snow tires and that was and experience going through the mountains in a blizzard.
I am having a block heater installed here before we leave Florida but I was wondering about the gas. Some one said that it will turn to jelly if it sits and I will be stranded?? My thought was to fill up before we get on the ferry and drive to Haines Junction to stay the night. What time does it usually get dark there in February? We will hit Haines on the 15th so almost in the middle of February.
UsaFam, we are driving mainly due to the dogs. We have an aussie( she is a mess) and a shi tzu (he is fine). They wouldnt make it the long terms between stops on the ferry and we cant ship them because of the cold. We didnt want them messing in the truck and then still have hundreds of miles to drive. Some can hold out that long, ours can't. They go three times a day at least if not four. We got Karma(aussie) from a rescue. She doesn't do well with new people so this would completely traumitize her. We understand the love for dogs. So many have said just get rid of them and we might have but the kids have dealt with enough over the past year, we just couldnt do that to them. They lost their grandfather and their grandmother and moved twice not counting this one. Anyway, we are nervous but respectful of the dangers and prepared as we think we can be. We are in Sioux City SD right now. We began in Augusta, Ga then went to Charleston to drop off a car to be shipped then started back across the country. It has been an amazing trip. God has been wonderful. Our biggest concerns are finding places to stay along the ALCAN. You guys have been awesome on here and we continue to learn something new. Thanks and God Bless!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
I just moved to Fairbanks last week and I'm from Vandalia,IL about 40 minutes from you, do you live there or just passing thru? Are you coming from Scott? Anyway, you'll like Fairbanks. Good thing you're bringing a vehicle because its a nightmare trying to find a decent used vehicle here. Let me know if theres anything I can help you with since I'm here.
Wow thanks. are you military? we are wondering if we are going to be able to find a place to live. We will be able to stay in army lodging for twenty days and then that is it. We are looking for a 4 to 5 bedroom, four is okay with a bonus room. We are first in line on the housing list but nothing was available when we called. It would be great to meet you. We can help each other out! Take care and God Bless!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
I just moved to Fairbanks last week and I'm from Vandalia,IL about 40 minutes from you, do you live there or just passing thru? Are you coming from Scott? Anyway, you'll like Fairbanks. Good thing you're bringing a vehicle because its a nightmare trying to find a decent used vehicle here. Let me know if theres anything I can help you with since I'm here.
oh and we are actually from Augusta,GA drove to charleston to drop off the car and then started the trip back across country. We are headed to Fort Wainwright. thanks again for the offer! Anything we can do to help anyone we will do our best!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 AM

89 posts, read 168,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karladee67 View Post
Wow thanks. are you military? we are wondering if we are going to be able to find a place to live. We will be able to stay in army lodging for twenty days and then that is it. We are looking for a 4 to 5 bedroom, four is okay with a bonus room. We are first in line on the housing list but nothing was available when we called. It would be great to meet you. We can help each other out! Take care and God Bless!
No, I'm not military I work at the hospital.
I sent you a private message so check that.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM

33 posts, read 85,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karladee67 View Post
UsaFam, we are driving mainly due to the dogs. We have an aussie( she is a mess) and a shi tzu (he is fine). They wouldnt make it the long terms between stops on the ferry and we cant ship them because of the cold. We didnt want them messing in the truck and then still have hundreds of miles to drive. Some can hold out that long, ours can't. They go three times a day at least if not four. We got Karma(aussie) from a rescue. She doesn't do well with new people so this would completely traumitize her. We understand the love for dogs. So many have said just get rid of them and we might have but the kids have dealt with enough over the past year, we just couldnt do that to them. They lost their grandfather and their grandmother and moved twice not counting this one. Anyway, we are nervous but respectful of the dangers and prepared as we think we can be. We are in Sioux City SD right now. We began in Augusta, Ga then went to Charleston to drop off a car to be shipped then started back across the country. It has been an amazing trip. God has been wonderful. Our biggest concerns are finding places to stay along the ALCAN. You guys have been awesome on here and we continue to learn something new. Thanks and God Bless!
I know that there is a place in Haines junction that takes pets called the Alcan motor lodge. There is also a place in Beaver creek that takes pets too. There is a website www.dogfriendly.com that you can go to and pick Alaska as your state and there is a link for the Alaskan highway. I hope this helps you out. I looked at it and it helped us plan our stops out. I know that this trip can be stressful but you just have to stay strong and take your time and you will do fine. Do not rush, there is no need for it and you will get there in one piece. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you from here that may help you out. Us military folk need to stick together and help each other out! Be safe and if you get a chance let me know how your road conditions are on your drive as we are leaving here on the 5th of February.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 PM

33 posts, read 85,390 times
OK so we have decided to drive the whole way from Florida to Fairbanks going through Canada. We are going to be leaving on the 5th. We were going to take the ferry but we have decided against it. We are going to take the Trans Canada Highway to the Alcan highway. Will we need tire cables when going through the canadian rockies? We really want to do the drive instead so we can see the amazing scenary. Please let me know what the thoughts are. We have the block heater and all the emergency equipment for the car. I am glad that I have a very fuel efficient car to make this drive. We also have a GPS for the trip. Would we be better off buying tires in the US or in canada? Please let me know thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska