Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times

Advertisements

I am definetly going to have to stop at this Fast Eddy's place since you are like the 100th person who has said that their food is good. I am really excited about this trip and I am planning on buying a nice cannon or nikon before we leave so that I can take some pics to put in our trip scrap book! I am excited to be able to see nature compared to Florida. Do you know if there are any big mountains we will have to climb or any roads that are sheer cliffs on that drive?? What about coolant and oil??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:13 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
I primarily use front wheel drive vehicles in Alaska. I do fine with them as long as you know the limitations. Don't try to go where only a 4 wheel drive should go. I do have a 4 wd toyota pickup that I primarily use for hunting and fishing so I know what a 4 wheel drive can do, but I don't need that.

If I were doing this I would have aggressive studded tires installed before beginning the drive. I'm not sure if you can get that done in Washington before you get on the ferry. I remember trying to find studded tires in Oregon before heading up the highway once, had to wait until Prince George to get decent studs.

Maybe someone in Haines will have them for your car. In my opinion this is important. Studs help you turn, help you up hills and most importantly...help you brake. I drove my Saturn all last year without studs and switched back to studs this winter...it's a big difference.

You should start out in the morning and try to get to your stop before dark. I think that first stretch will be the loneliest, but that time of year won't see much traffic anywhere until you get close to Fairbanks.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
When you see a semi heading your way, slow way down and pull over to the side but not so far that you get pulled into the berm, they throw up a lot of the rocks and they might get your windshield.

How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

You can get a set of studded tires for your drive in Bellingham at Les Schwab, they have all sorts of tires of all sizes.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:34 PM

33 posts, read 85,285 times
Do you think it would be feasible to make it from Haines Junction to Tok in a day or should we stop in Beaver creek instead? I will look into the studded tires there and we can get them. How long can you drive on studded tires in Alaska?

Old 01-01-2010, 01:36 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
go synthetic all the way. oil, gear oil and socks =)

use -40 degree window washer available in Haines and keep an extra gallon in the vehicle. In the morning allow your vehicle to warm up for 15 minutes as it will be parked outside.

Ask Ford how low their coolant is rated to and change it if not at least -20 degrees.

Like Warptman says the berm on the right side of the road can pull you off easy and fast.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:59 PM

The studs must come off all of the vehicles on May 15th.
I made a road trip in October from Fairbanks to Whitehorse in a day for a weekend trip, we left around 9:30am and got to Whitehorse around 11pm. Coming back was a little longer, we had a snow storm from Haines Junction to Beaver Creek which slowed everything down. We still made it in the same day, we got to Fairbanks around midnight though.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:03 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...an-winter.html

Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
Do you think it would be feasible to make it from Haines Junction to Tok in a day or should we stop in Beaver creek instead? I will look into the studded tires there and we can get them. How long can you drive on studded tires in Alaska?
It is possible and weather dependent.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Alaska Forecasts.

National Weather Service, Alaska Region Headquarters, AK

Old 01-02-2010, 12:25 AM

12 posts, read 32,051 times
Wow, anyone have advice for us. We are on the road already to travel to Fairbanks. We are driving the entire route. We are supposed to winterize in Calgary, any ideas where? We are in O'Fallon, IL at the moment. They did a AAA trip tik for us but we would love to hear from real people with real experiences. There are five of us and two dogs. We are in a Ford Expedition. Someone told us to buy the Blizzak tires once in Calgary? yes no maybe? Any suggestions or where to try and make reservations ahead of time from Calgary to Fairbanks? We are also military. Thank you in advance for any help available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska