Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times

Advertisements

The steepest part of the highway is just after you pass Fort Nelson at Steamboat Mountain, 10% grade.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...nth-guide.html

From photo #10 is where Steamboat Mountain climb starts.
Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Alcan 2009 (joe joe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 AM

216 posts, read 364,528 times
The place in Toad didn't allow dogs - food was good - but $$$ If you have time and their open go through the Museum in Whitehorse, it has a huge satelite dish painted like a gold pan outside, dosen't look like much but inside there is some of the best wildlife display's you'll see.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:50 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,869 times
Yeah Warpt that was it man the thought of that places makes my stomach get butterflies.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM

33 posts, read 85,312 times
Warpt have you seen our itenerary yet?? I was wondering since you are the Alcan guru you could let me know if I have planned well or not. We are only driving a set amount of hours each day and then we are done. There will be no changes that way we can get a good nights rest and be ready for the next day. People get into to trouble when the rush or push themselves too far. If you have not seen our trip map out here it goes:
Day 1 from Ft Walton Beach Fl to Louisville KY
Day 2 from Louisville to Eau Claire, WI
Day 3 from Eau Claire to Winnipeg, MA
Day 4 from Winnipeg to Saskatoon, SK
Day 5 from Saskatoon to Edmonton, AB
Day 6 from Edmonton to Dawson Creek, BC
Day 7 from Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson
Day 8 from Ft Nelson to Watson Lake
Day 9 from Watson Lake to Haines Jct
Day 10 from Haines Jct to Tok AK
Day 11 from Tok to Eielson AFB

I have our days planned short so that we can keep with the daylight and so that we do not over do ourselves. I have driven long distances before and I have found that it is easier to make more stops and srive shorter distances than to rush and stress yourself out and possbily get hurt in the process. We are getting the engine block heater done here and are looking into tires (i.e. snow, all weather, studs, cables, etc.....) remember I am in the military and by no means rich! We have all of the emergency equip for in the vehicle (i.e. blankets, cooler, emergency candles, lighters, winter clothes, extension cord, small shovel, kitty litter, and a brand new Tom Tom) Man am I forgetting anything? I am also trying to find somecard board to cut to size for the front fender of the car. So from what was said the steepest part of our drive will be between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake so we will make sure to take extra care in that area. Warpt you really seem like a great person and you have helped so many, I am glad that I have had the chance to chat with you on here and would love to meet somewhere when we get into Alaska to buy you a beer or two for all of the great help you have been in the planning of this trip! I know that without your great advice I would be a basket case! Thanks and I am serious about those beers!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
No we were going to buy the snow tires closer to Canada. I already have all season tires on my vehicle seeing as how it is only one year old and they only have 10000 miles on them. I wish I didn't have to change them at all but travelling in February we have no choice. I am stationed at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach. It is the emerald coast but I am not a big fan of the ocean or the heat so I am glad that we are moving to Alaska. I was thinking that we could get the tires closer to Edmonton since the all seasons should make us that far. I have gotten a lot of good advice on here and we have taken all of it and put it to good use, but we willtake any more that we can get before we leave. I wish I could find someone who has travelled this route when we are but I guess no one is as dumb as we are.......ha ha!
I've driven in and out in the winter on all seasons. No problems at all. Just make sure that they are in good condition.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 PM

33 posts, read 85,312 times
Smile Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I've driven in and out in the winter on all seasons. No problems at all. Just make sure that they are in good condition.
Well the car is only 1 year old in February and the tires only have 10,000 miles on them. What do you think? You have driven the Alcan in the winter? Did you see my post previous to this....how does this plan look? Please I am taking as much advice as I can beofre we leave! Thanks

Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Stop in Delta Junction and go to the coffee shop called Diehl's Delights at the left end of the shopping center where the IGA grocery is, the owner has a wealth of Alaska knowledge and enjoys meeting new people.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFfamily07 View Post
Day 2 from Louisville to Eau Claire, WI
Day 3 from Eau Claire to Winnipeg, MA
Day 4 from Winnipeg to Saskatoon, SK
Day 5 from Saskatoon to Edmonton, AB
Day 6 from Edmonton to Dawson Creek, BC
Day 7 from Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson
Day 8 from Ft Nelson to Watson Lake
Day 9 from Watson Lake to Haines Jct
Day 10 from Haines Jct to Tok AK
Day 11 from Tok to Eielson AFB
This all works out well. Between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake should only be done in daylight hours. There are moose, caribou, dall sheep, mountain goats, and bison, all in the same area and they're all on the roads.

I need to think of a list of where to eat, I should have all the places memorized by now.

I don't drink beer or any alcohol. A diet Pepsi works though.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Here's more info on other people's drives up.

Winter Alcan - The Alaska hunting forum

http://www.wainwright.army.mil/sites/relocation/

A Guide to the Alaska Highway (Alcan) - ExploreNorth

Alcan Highway, 2700 mile trip - Alaska 4x4 Network

Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Stop in Delta Junction and go to the coffee shop called Diehl's Delights at the left end of the shopping center where the IGA grocery is, the owner has a wealth of Alaska knowledge and enjoys meeting new people.

It might help if I mentioned Delta is in between Tok and EAFB......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska