Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times

Advertisements

Cold? Anchorage is one of the warmer places in Alaska year round, not including Southeast.

Anchorage, Alaska (Airport)

Overcast
24 °F
Overcast
Windchill: 18 °F
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 18 °F
Wind: 5 mph Variable
Pressure: 30.16 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 6000 ft
Overcast 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Snow Depth: 7.0 in
Elevation: 141 ft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Stay off the Alaska ferry....they will brake your bank account

Its an easy drive from your location.
The other posters are right...in the time you drive to Washington to get to the ferry, get to Anchorage, you could have long been there driving from ND. You might think about a small enclosed trailer to move what you want...couch, clothing, ...(you seem to know the drill), then you should be able to sell it when you arrive. I haven't heard of people using pods so much to move to AK versus state-to-state in the -48.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM

14 posts, read 145,291 times
How are the roads in June?? I assume they would be pretty clear for driving. June seems like a great month for travel.

Glad to hear that the weather up there is a little nicer then Fargo here. Figured it was either the same or a little cooler. But its just an added bonus if its a few degree warmer

Old 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
June is a great time to drive up, most of the smaller lodges will be open by then and the RV's will be in full swing. Like I said before, never drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night time. Lots of animals on the road between the two and you'd miss a bunch of great scenery.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 145,291 times
We're hopoing to camp in a tent most of the way. Take our time. 2 weeks possibly. We were going to drive to Seattle and spend a couple of days with some close friends but its sounds faster and cheapest to just drive straight though Canada.

We want to spend lots of time sight seeing though.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Here's a link to some of my pics of Anchorage.
Photos in barkingowl's 'Alaska-Anchorage 8/08' album

Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajo View Post
I am planning on moving to Alaska around June 1st. Planning ahead on what is the best way to get there.

We have one small dog and a cat and a 4 door car. We do have some nice funiture that we would like to bring but Im told the best thing to do is to sell and buy new when we get up there. Is this true?

Also if we drive should we get a pod company to move our personal items up there? I dont think I can part some time of my belongings that are personal to me.

Also how much is it to take the ferry from Seattle to Anchorage, with a vehicle? Would it be cheaper to drive the Alaskan highway?

Should we rent a trailer and pull it?

Any advice would help me out greatly on what is the best and cheapest way to move to Alaska. Price quote would be great if you have some!

Thanks
We're moving to Juneau from Tennessee. I'm flying up at the end of the week to start work, while my SO is staying back to sell the house (and we'll end up renting it out I guess, by the end of March worst-case-scenario if we can't sell it). Going through many of the questions that you're facing now.

I did check on the pods, and can't remember exactly how much it was but it was around $4000 from TN. Too expensive for us given that we still have to drive/hotel/eat/ferry, and the breaking point was that they didn't deliver to Juneau (stopping point was Anchorage), so we'd have to lug it again some other way from there.

We've sold a bunch of stuff, packaged a LOT of stuff that we're going to mail up there USPS, and have decided against a trailer (mostly because it'll still be March when we're travelling - potential for bad weather and much more expensive on the ferry).

It's been a two month process for me, to try and decide and come to terms with what personal belongings are actually important and need to go to AK, and what can stay behind. Lots of hand-wringing over material things, but you work your way through it eventually.

There's some stuff that has to go, and other stuff that defies common sense (crocks, quilts and pewter) that I've been collecting my whole adult life and I'm forking out the dough to bring them with me regardless, just 'cause.

So what we've got at this point after looking, figuring, more looking and more figuring is this:

1. We're taking our two trucks
2. One canoe on the top of one truck
3. Two kayaks on the top of second truck
4. 4 bikes on a bike rack on the back of one truck
5. Sending a bunch of stuff up USPS
6. Carrying as much stuff as we can in the back of our trucks
7. Taking the ferry from Prince Rupert vs Bellingham (cheaper, and easier and shorter on our dog who will be stuck in the vehicle)
8. Two yard sales got rid of a lot of our stuff (we got rid of the last of it at the end of the second yard sale by calling a used furniture/odds and ends guy who bought the rest of it for a flat rate)
9. Giving a lot of stuff to my son
10. Donating other stuff for a tax write-off

Moving up there is exactly what I thought it would be - a logistical nightmare. I'm at the point now where I just want to get it done, and get up there and get settled. I firmly believe that it will be worthwhile in the long run. Good luck to you.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Just re-read my post. Another one guilty of overuse of the word "stuff". Sorry folks.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,959 times
Can I ever relate! Jessicajo, I am near Bemidji Mn and my DH and I are also going to be doing the highway route. I have been going nuts trying to figure everything out. I checked out the University too (Communications) online web site, but I think I am going to have to call and chat with an advisor. We are hoping to leave in April or May but that is tenative. My DH already works out of Alaska and the travel is killing him. The people on the Alaska forumns are very helpful with answering questions. Good Luck!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
An essential tool: The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner. Order online or pick up at a bookstore in the travel session. I've done the Alcan 7 times and won't do it without one.
College in Anchorage (well, actually it's a University...): University of Alaska Anchorage
Enjoy the drive... It's a beautiful one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska