Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,854 times

Advertisements

Can i get there from washington state by ferry? Without going though canada please say yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
Yes

Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINESGOHARD View Post
Can i get there from washington state by ferry? Without going though canada please say yes.
Yes, but it depends on when you're planning to travel. You'll need to take the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau and then get on the ferry that goes from Juneau to Whittier. This ferry doesn't make the crossing every month. The cost is several thousand dollars to do so and it's likely cheaper to barge a vehicle and fly up.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,657 times
I am looking to also move to Anchorage this fall (end of September). I have heard the drive isn't too bad then. Our plan right now is to take a u-Haul and tow our car behind to move our stuff. We are coming from Southeast Idaho. How would the road be at this time in a u-Haul, and do you have any other suggestions for getting our stuff up there?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM

173 posts, read 380,738 times
You won't have any issues driving up at the end of September. It could be cold through the Yukon and up near Tok at that time of year (maybe around 0 degrees Fahrenheit) overnight or even a bit colder.

Other than that, it's a good time to travel the highway. There are other threads about driving the Alcan during the various times of the year. That will be a beautiful time to drive up to Alaska.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 PM

941 posts, read 1,793,109 times
We moved to Alaska with two cats. We had a new pickup with a trailer package and purchased a good trailer which we sold when we got here. Brought the necessary furniture and household goods and cats with us on the ferry. Sent some things by ABF Pods which worked well for us. Didn't want to drive after driving cross country and the ferry got us here without any hassle. Wasn't as worried about the money as the stress of driving on two lane unfamiliar roads. The cats stayed in the truck during the ferry trip and we went down several times a day to check on them. They made the trip fine and we saw the inside passage which made it super for us. Driving the two thousand miles Across the United States was enough driving on good roads and we welcomed the sea voyage and not driving that distance. At our age it wasn't as desirable to take the chance across Canada.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner Don't do the drive without it.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Two additional things I'd suggest: roadside assistance with good towing coverage (longer distances than you'd need most places in the -48), and a maintenance manual for your vehicle, either Chiltons or Haynes. I'm glad I had AAA when I broke down in Grande Prairie, AB, but if I'd thought to buy my truck's manual before the trip we wouldn't have needed it and wouldn't have wasted half a day at the dealership there.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
Curious what you ended up doing and if you sold your things as I'm looking to do the same thing this summer from South Dakota?

Old 08-04-2016, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicajo View Post
Thanks for the tip! Nice to hear advice from someone whos close to where Im from.

Id love to drive it as well just for the experiance and adventure of it all.

We are getting passports and forms for guns to take acorss the border. Thinking of just packing food and a tent and camping what we can the whole way up.

Has anyone done the moving Pods to Alaska from the states?? I assume that has to be expensive but getting a quote online isnt very easy.
Pods doesn't move from the lower 48 to AK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska