Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 PM

886 posts, read 5,714,543 times

Advertisements

Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v7.0 will be your best friend.

The housing is not really separated by ranks. We have CGO's living next to E-3's It is run by a contractor so all they care about is filling empty houses. If you want a new house then you are going to want the French Creek housing. It is the newest on base and was completed in 2008.

They are building more houses as I type this and might be ready when you get up here. If you need any info a=on the base and local community feel free to let me know.

I am also married with no kids and my wife and I decided to live off base in North Pole. She works in Fairbanks and that splits the drive time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,654 times
No one is asking about the weather? I spent time at Ellsworth and Loring back in the 80's and let me tell you cold weather just beats on you. LOL,,whew those were some tough winters.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:11 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,823 times
Why would someone "deserve" a 3 bedroom house when you don't have children? I mean, if they were all 3 bedrooms that would be one thing, but don't you think the people with children should get first dibs on having more bedrooms? I guess since you don't have to heat your own house if you live on base, then you would go for the biggest ones possible but it hardly seems fair.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Why would someone "deserve" a 3 bedroom house when you don't have children? I mean, if they were all 3 bedrooms that would be one thing, but don't you think the people with children should get first dibs on having more bedrooms? I guess since you don't have to heat your own house if you live on base, then you would go for the biggest ones possible but it hardly seems fair.

All base housing on Eielson is 3 bedroom and starting soon you will have to pay to heat your house. People living in base housing will be placed on metered electric and heat. If you go over you pay. It will cut down on the people who leave their lights on 24/7 and have the heat cranked to 80+ with the windoes open.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM

50 posts, read 143,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
All base housing on Eielson is 3 bedroom and starting soon you will have to pay to heat your house. People living in base housing will be placed on metered electric and heat. If you go over you pay. It will cut down on the people who leave their lights on 24/7 and have the heat cranked to 80+ with the windoes open.

I've lived on base at Eielson for 7 years now and that has been a rumor all 7 years.

Housing is getting better at staying spilt up. French Creek is slowly going back to SRNCO (E7 and above) while the new housing is supposed to be all JRNCO. It's all three and four bedrooms with 2 car garages. So no need to worry about getting a smaller house. The new houses do not have basements but do have a nice laundry room upstairs with front loaders.

The only reason housing is kind of scattered everywhere was because they had to move everyone out of Cool Homes a few years ago so E and O were all mixed in.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 8,437 times
Does anyone know if the new housing for JRNCO is still on schedule to be completed in february '11?? My husband and I and our 2yr old are relocating there in march and we're hoping to get straight into the new houses if they're done!! (hubby's an E5) Also If anyone found out where or if there are pictures I would love to see some since my husband also tried to view the floorplans on portal and was unable to locate them!!?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Emma View Post
Does anyone know if the new housing for JRNCO is still on schedule to be completed in february '11?? My husband and I and our 2yr old are relocating there in march and we're hoping to get straight into the new houses if they're done!! (hubby's an E5) Also If anyone found out where or if there are pictures I would love to see some since my husband also tried to view the floorplans on portal and was unable to locate them!!?
Most of the new housing is completed and they are moving new arrivals into them. People on broadway here on base are slowly being moved into them as well. They went up really fast!

I didn't take inside picture when we toured but can get you some outside pics.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 8,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natenapril View Post
Most of the new housing is completed and they are moving new arrivals into them. People on broadway here on base are slowly being moved into them as well. They went up really fast!

I didn't take inside picture when we toured but can get you some outside pics.

Do they have basements?? And yea I would love to see some pics of the outside/neighborhood! Any advice for Alaska living??...we're relocating from AZ (talk about opposite!)

Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Emma View Post
Do they have basements?? And yea I would love to see some pics of the outside/neighborhood! Any advice for Alaska living??...we're relocating from AZ (talk about opposite!)

The new housing does NOT have basements. That's why we opted to go to French Creek (We were eligible due to rank) but they are still very nice. They have wood floors on the first floor. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are all one big room. There is a half a bath on that floor. These houses have radiant floor heat and a two car garage.
Upstairs are 3 bedrooms, 2 fulls baths, family room, and laundry room that includes brand new front loaders. The upstairs is carpeted.

It's -36 here today so you ned to come prepared with good winter gear!

The base built a new BX a couple of years ago and the commisary was just downgraded and does not carry as many items as they use to but both stores will meet your basic needs.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM

I know that this has nothing to do with housing but if you are coming up from AZ you are going to want to get your vehicle ready. At a bare minimum I would have the anti-freeze/coolant flushed and 50/50 or even 60%coolant 40% water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska