Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm25 View Post
We are considering a move to Eielson AFB. I have a high school student and a Middle school student. My spouse is an E-7 and just past the 16 yr mark. How is base housing / the and the wait... we'd need a 3br. What about pets in base housing? I have 3 chihuahua's all under 5lbs. I know most bases its 2 only. Is there any waivers or exceptions? I know some bases give them now...
What advice do you have for schools? We lived at Elmendorf 8 yrs ago so we know kinda what Alaska life is like but I know thats not the same as up farther north and a lot has changed since we've lived in the state...

PS) what is retiring from AK like - spouse is considering getting out soon after and was curious what it was like to do so in AK. I don't think we'd stay there to live but would rather make it our last assignment so to speak....
We lived at Eielson for about 3 years and we lived on base. The base housing is pretty decent at Eielson. I would definitely suggest living on base just until you're certain you want to retire at Eielson. It is definitely much better to live on base and convenient. I lived on the Broadway Housing which is an older housing but I found it to be a much better floor plan. These are mostly three bedrooms, and one car garage. Having a garage at Eielson is a must! There are newer housing at Eielson that have finished basement which are very, very nice These are located on Yukon area. Living on Eielson will be a little bit of a task, but as long as you stay busy you'll be fine. It snows or stays frozen for about seven months of the year. The summer months are very short, you pretty much have to enjoy every day and make the most of it. Summer doesn't usually start until about the second week of June and it starts to get cold around the end of August.

Most people I dealt with at Eielson did not like the fact that it gets dark fast. that's why I had so many lamps at home to brighten up the day. It is nice to see wildlife walk around the base (moose). The are so big and it always amazes you how they just roam around like nothing is going on. You'll be taking pictures everytime you see them. The schools at Eielson are very good schools. Even though it's on base, they're not DOD schools. Eielson has a very good ROTC program, if you're interested. Broadway housing is very close to the schools, but most people like the French Creek housing because kids get bussed to the school and most of those housing have two garages which is a plus. Eielson only allows 2 pets per resident, but you're able to put in a waiver and it will need to be approved. Most of them are. Pitbulls and exotic pets are not allowed on base. I have so much information, but I don't want to overwhelm you with information. Please email me at ana.m.fife@scott.af.mil is you need more information. Everything is still fresh in my mind since we just moved from there in December 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 PM

50 posts, read 143,726 times
[quote=ACEANITA;17328434]
Quote:

We lived at Eielson for about 3 years and we lived on base. The base housing is pretty decent at Eielson. I would definitely suggest living on base just until you're certain you want to retire at Eielson. It is definitely much better to live on base and convenient. I lived on the Broadway Housing which is an older housing but I found it to be a much better floor plan. These are mostly three bedrooms, and one car garage. Having a garage at Eielson is a must! There are newer housing at Eielson that have finished basement which are very, very nice These are located on Yukon area. Living on Eielson will be a little bit of a task, but as long as you stay busy you'll be fine. It snows or stays frozen for about seven months of the year. The summer months are very short, you pretty much have to enjoy every day and make the most of it. Summer doesn't usually start until about the second week of June and it starts to get cold around the end of August.

Most people I dealt with at Eielson did not like the fact that it gets dark fast. that's why I had so many lamps at home to brighten up the day. It is nice to see wildlife walk around the base (moose). The are so big and it always amazes you how they just roam around like nothing is going on. You'll be taking pictures everytime you see them. The schools at Eielson are very good schools. Even though it's on base, they're not DOD schools. Eielson has a very good ROTC program, if you're interested. Broadway housing is very close to the schools, but most people like the French Creek housing because kids get bussed to the school and most of those housing have two garages which is a plus. Eielson only allows 2 pets per resident, but you're able to put in a waiver and it will need to be approved. Most of them are. Pitbulls and exotic pets are not allowed on base. I have so much information, but I don't want to overwhelm you with information. Please email me at ana.m.fife@scott.af.mil is you need more information. Everything is still fresh in my mind since we just moved from there in December 2009.
New residents incoming to Eielson will NOT be put into Broadway housing. Most of Broadway in sitting empty right now. As an e7 she will go straight into French Creek. There E6 and below will live in the new housing. We live in Broadway now and love it but because of renovations and my Dh making E7 we have to move to French Creek

Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,439 times
Question for anyone out there....we're going to drive from phoenix to seatle and then fly out of seatle after dropping the car off at the port in washington. Anyone know how long it takes to get your car once you're at base??

Old 01-19-2011, 11:40 AM

50 posts, read 143,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Emma View Post
Question for anyone out there....we're going to drive from phoenix to seatle and then fly out of seatle after dropping the car off at the port in washington. Anyone know how long it takes to get your car once you're at base??
we shipped our car from Baltimore and it only took about 3 weeks.

Just a suggestion but why not ride the ferry with your car and drive the rest of the way?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenapril View Post
we shipped our car from Baltimore and it only took about 3 weeks.

Just a suggestion but why not ride the ferry with your car and drive the rest of the way?

Not sure I wanted to be on a ferry with a 2 year old... That and the ferry is closed until april or may and we have to be there before april 1st (hubby's first day of work)

Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Drive on up!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 AM

I dont wanna be in the car that long and we have friends in washington state so we're driving halfway and seeing them as well. Anyways, nobody really addressed my question...how long does it take to ship the car from washington??

Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
You'd have to check with the barge service that you're using. No one here would be able to tell you this information. It's all depends on what day you drop your vehicle off and if the barge service has room for it on their next sailing. It took my son's vehicle 1 month to arrive after he dropped it off. Then we had to drive to Seward to pick it up.

You really need to call the barge service you're using and ask them....

Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM

I dont know if we can call and arrange it ourselves- i'm pretty sure we are told where to take the car on our orders and we're still waiting for them.... is this the case for military relocation or do you arrange it all yourself?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,970 times
Your transportation office can give or get you that information. They are the ones that give you the "drop off here..." info. If they don't have the travel time information, then they should (read-if they don't, they can get on the phone/computer and figure it out) be able to provide the shipper's point of contact.

Don't take the ferry if you want...but it definitely is running on the winter schedule from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK (600 miles from Eielson). I came up that route in December of '06 to Wainwright. My wife, my two year old, and I will be taking the ferry from Haines to Bellingham in very early May. The Inside Passage is worth it...especially when you can see it (Dec-Jan the last time was not conducive to it). If you do want to, authorization does come on your orders and Sato/Carlson (whomever your travel office is) can make the reservations for you.

Enjoy either way. Good time of the year to be getting up here. NOW is not a fun time.

p.s. rereading your post above mine...you or your spouse (or both) really need to get to your local transportation office and get read in on this info. They have it and it is there for the asking.

Last edited by icarian; 02-13-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska