Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,875 times

Advertisements

oh wow, no takers? im still doing some research on living out there but that place would seem ideal. know of where to find another place similar?

thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsnozzcumbers View Post
oh wow, no takers? im still doing some research on living out there but that place would seem ideal. know of where to find another place similar?

thanks for the reply
I think this kind of opportunity is not rare. The problem is findiing a trustworthy person to stay in the cabin.

BTW...brown bears a very plentiful from late May through October. They are generally well fed though from all the moose calves they eat in the spring to all the fish later in the summer.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM

32 posts, read 82,973 times
Default Outback Cabins

Here are some images of what people have built in the way of "Cabins"..some here might recognize one of them...

Alaska cabins: Reader-submitted | adn.com

Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Very nice....I do recognize a couple of them. But likely not the one you mentioned.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:20 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:

thanks for the reply
A true remote cabin is a very expensive building project, they are not normally big because of the logistics in hauling out the building materials or getting them locally on site and milling them.

Having said that, a small cabin built on blocks in town may cost you $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 to build and they rent them to College kids in Fairbanks with no water. But by the time you air freight the kit out or haul it in pieces out to a remote piece of property by boat or snowmachine, it may end up costing three times that much or more. Then you have the issues of labor to build it.

I doubt you will find too many folks that go to all that trouble building just to let someone just "Stay" in their cabin they have that much love in constructing. Even renting out such a place which is almost a Religious spot for the owner is slim...

Having said that, you may get lucky....

Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Hey Rance, this turned out really nice!

Photo courtesy of Rance Pederson / ADN reader submission

The cabin me and some brothers built for my wife this summer. Sit's on an island near Sterling. I hope she likes it!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowThatRoad View Post
Here are some images of what people have built in the way of "Cabins"..some here might recognize one of them...

Alaska cabins: Reader-submitted | adn.com
That was great, thanks.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Yeah, I need to do a little yard work and add a front deck tho!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 8,875 times
oh im sure...
after graduating college and spending a little time in the navy(retired me early do to an illness), id like to take some time off to write. ive had a fondness for the alaskan wilderness for as long as i can remember.

do u know of any such cabin/shack that is available or even who i could ask?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
oh im sure...
after graduating college and spending a little time in the navy(retired me early do to an illness), id like to take some time off to write. ive had a fondness for the alaskan wilderness for as long as i can remember.

do u know of any such cabin/shack that is available or even who i could ask?
I mentioned a little place in another thread that might work out for someone who has some building skills. The price seemed reasonable, it's outside of the property tax zone and was on the road system but still secluded enough. It has what is basically a shack on it that could be added to. I have no idea if it's still even available but if you're interested I could try to find out and send you the info; I won't put it here on the open forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska