Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 32,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The greenhouse is going to be expensive because it won't just need to be heated "sometimes", and then there's the light factor. Most people in Alaska use them to either start plants in the spring or to extend the growing season in the fall.

Teak is right; Cantwell is a beautiful place, though not much there. I'm not sure about horses in the area. It gets so windy and cold there during the winter.

Have you considered the Talkeetna area?
Makes sense to me on the greenhouse thing. It wasn't a necessary thing, just a hope. I'll take a look at Talkeetna. One of the biggest things is snowfall. I am so sick and tired of people thinking that a half a foot of snow warrants closing the city down for a week. I miss living in a place where snow fell, fell some more, kept on falling, and never went away until spring break-up. And what I wouldn't give for there to be snow on the ground during the holidays. I guess even though I was born in Georgia, I'm naturally a cold-weather person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Nashville View Post
Does Delta get a bunch of snow? I thought I looked that one up, and the snowfall was really negligible. I do love the no property taxes or building codes!
They have plenty of snow all winter, it has a drier climate than down south but the temperatures don't fluctuate as much so the quality of the snow remains consistent. In other words there isn't a melting, which changes the texture and shrinks it down, making it icy and unattractive.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks so much! I'll take a much closer look! You're so right about the consistency of snow, when it melts a bit, re-freezes, snows some more--it's not only unattractive, but can be quite dangerous. Years ago, our horses were able to climb up on the frozen surface (about 6 or so inches of ice on top of 3 or so feet of snow and more ice sandwiched in there for good measure) and just step over the foot or so of fence that was still exposed. We recaptured them down on the highway, and are lucky they didn't get hit. We are also lucky they didn't punch a leg through the ice during this "adventure" and break a bone.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
They have plenty of snow all winter, it has a drier climate than down south but the temperatures don't fluctuate as much so the quality of the snow remains consistent. In other words there isn't a melting, which changes the texture and shrinks it down, making it icy and unattractive.
Also, when you say "Delta", do you mean "Delta Junction"? It's the only one I could find......

Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Nashville View Post
Also, when you say "Delta", do you mean "Delta Junction"? It's the only one I could find......
Yes, Delta is Delta Junction. The type of snow depends upon climatic zone. The interior is cold and dry in the winter, thus the snow is very dry and has a low water content (e.g., 12-15 inches of snow = 1 inch of water). (Cold air has a lower water-holding capacity than warm air.) The Fairbanks area has very little wind in the winter, which is nice, and snow can build up in high, fluffy piles. Looks pretty, but doesn't contain much water. Delta Junction is quite windy due to the mountains just to the south.

The coastal zones have wetter climates, thus much wetter snow (e.g., 8-10 inches of snow = 1 inch of water). Some of these areas, especially Valdez, get feet of snow in the winter. Feet. Not 1-2 feet, but 10-40 feet.

From what you say, I think that you really want an agricultural area, i.e., some place that has an infrastructure for farmers. This is important. Delta, Fairbanks, Mat-Su all have implement dealers, feed-and-seed stores, meat-processors, hobby hay farmers, and so forth. If you find something WAY OUT THERE by your lonesome, you will be. Lonesome, that is.

I read the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner online a lot and notice that there is cheap (potential) farm land for sale in the Salcha area, most notably Johnson Road. You might check that out. Salcha is ~half way between Fairbanks and Delta. I have driven up Johnson Road and think that it has potential; i.e., flat but with good drainage. Another area closer to Fairbanks is the North Pole area, along Badger Road, Peede Road, and etc. Flat, well-drained (means it has some gravel in the soil, not clay or peat), and cheap.

In the Mat-Su, there is the Talkeetna area (as Metlakatla mentioned) and Willow, Wasilla, and Palmer. I liked the area just east of Palmer; not as congested as Wasilla. They get a lot of snow in the winter.

Last edited by Teak; 02-04-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yes, Delta is Delta Junction. The type of snow depends upon climatic zone. The interior is cold and dry in the winter, thus the snow is very dry and has a low water content (e.g., 12-15 inches of snow = 1 inch of water). (Cold air has a lower water-holding capacity than warm air.) The Fairbanks area has very little wind in the winter, which is nice, and snow can build up in high, fluffy piles. Looks pretty, but doesn't contain much water. Delta Junction is quite windy due to the mountains just to the south.

The coastal zones have wetter climates, thus much wetter snow (e.g., 8-10 inches of snow = 1 inch of water). Some of these areas, especially Valdez, get feet of snow in the winter. Feet. Not 1-2 feet, but 10-40 feet.

From what you say, I think that you really want an agricultural area, i.e., some place that has an infrastructure for farmers. This is important. Delta, Fairbanks, Mat-Su all have implement dealers, feed-and-seed stores, meat-processors, hobby hay farmers, and so forth. If you find something WAY OUT THERE by your lonesome, you will be. Lonesome, that is.

I read the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner online a lot and notice that there is cheap (potential) farm land for sale in the Salcha area, most notably Johnson Road. You might check that out. Salcha is ~half way between Fairbanks and Delta. I have driven up Johnson Road and think that it has potential; i.e., flat but with good drainage. Another area closer to Fairbanks is the North Pole area, along Badger Road, Peede Road, and etc. Flat, well-drained (means it has some gravel in the soil, not clay or peat), and cheap.

In the Mat-Su, there is the Talkeetna area (as Metlakatla mentioned) and Willow, Wasilla, and Palmer. I liked the area just east of Palmer; not as congested as Wasilla. They get a lot of snow in the winter.
It can get windy but I think its worse when it's warmer. And remember, lots of taxes north of Delta Junction in North Pole, Fairbanks. I think Salcha has property tax but couldn't swear to it.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
It can get windy but I think its worse when it's warmer. And remember, lots of taxes north of Delta Junction in North Pole, Fairbanks. I think Salcha has property tax but couldn't swear to it.
Yeah, Salcha is in the North Star Borough. Therefore property taxes.

Delta is great. But COLD! and if you really desire TONS of snow why not move farther south. What is Palmer's Snow Fall like?

They are usually warmer in the Summer then Anchorage. I hear the Valley often referred to as the Banana Belt! LOL

Alaska is not like any other state you have lived in.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Yeah, Salcha is in the North Star Borough. Therefore property taxes.

Delta is great. But COLD! and if you really desire TONS of snow why not move farther south. What is Palmer's Snow Fall like?

They are usually warmer in the Summer then Anchorage. I hear the Valley often referred to as the Banana Belt! LOL

Alaska is not like any other state you have lived in.
I was thinking bears might be more of a risk in Palmer but I am just guessing on that. Palmer is a nice area for farms. Very pretty.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,922 times
Living in Anchorage right now but am interested in moving to Cantwell or in the surrounding area.
Are there any apartments, houses or cabins available?
if so what is the price range?
what can I expect there?
any info would be helpful...Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan okie View Post
Living in Anchorage right now but am interested in moving to Cantwell or in the surrounding area.
Are there any apartments, houses or cabins available?
if so what is the price range?
what can I expect there?
any info would be helpful...Thanks
Best bet is to drive up there and stop at all the local stores, gas stations, cafes etc. Look at the bulletin boards and ask the people at each stop. That's they way to find out about an area like Cantwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska