Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 AM

152 posts, read 457,941 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I leave for Alaska Tomorrow!!! for a 10 day road trip around the state ( or a least a part of the state)

Tomorrow going to be a long day with a 2-3 hour drive to the airport an 11 hour flight and then the drive from Anchorage to Seward all in one day!

I have camping gear packed, some rain gear too because of the look of the weather, bug spay, camera, clothing, think I’m all set. My MP3 player is loaded and my laptop will soon be packed up.

Going to spend 2-3 days in Seward then it’s off the Denali for a couple of days then over to Valdez via the old Denali high way and then back to anchorage to fly out and return to mundane living.

when I get back I’m going to post all kinds of pictures and ill give the link to them so all the other people heading to Alaska this summer can get some idea of what there in for ( as if a picture could do that! )

Wish me luck
Fair winds and starry nights
I’m off

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,865,448 times
Sounds awesome. Have fun, drive carefull and please don't litter!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM

395 posts, read 1,718,636 times
For a 1st timer, Dinali is great. But tone down your expectation of seeing lots of wild animals. (Was that Dorothy who said "Lion, Tigers and Bears)? Sorry, my memory is faulty. In the U.S., the 1st 2 are seen in zoos only. You will see lots of sheeps and maybe a few bears. Hopefully, you will see Mt Mckinley if it does not rain and there are no cloud cover. It may be worth your while to purchase the video presently playing at the Visitors Center. Especially if your home video center have surround sound. Your may wish to take the river cruise in Seward. Hopefully, there are some whale laggards because the big sighting are already near the S.Cal. coast. But you will see lots of shore birds boo coo seals. Anchorage is fine but I've found it to be just another town. Have a great trip!!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,390,272 times
Welcome to Alaska!

I hope your trip to Denali is as picture perfect as my first trip was! Beautiful animals, 30+ bears (unheard of!), sheep, caribou, moose, wolverine, wolves, and probably a few others I can't remember off the top of my head! (My last trip, I saw zero wildlife! Not even a squirrel! Thunderstorms!!!) Everybody but me sees beluga whales on the drive down to Seward, so I hope you do, too! If you're doing any fishing, I hope you catch a whopper!

Have a wonderful trip! Watch for wildlife on the road. Take it easy, relax, slow down, and have a great time!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 PM

69 posts, read 321,278 times
Stop in and say hi to naidene at the tangle river inn on the denali hwy. SHe's a character and is the only living person in Alaska to have a mountain named after her. Her and her husband jack have been running the lodge since the 70's. She used to be a USO singer and if your timing is right she might even sing. Its a nice cafe with a great view. Cabins and bunkhouses if you want to stay, canoes to rent if you want.

I hope you get some sleep on the plane. That is a long day and the Seward Hwy is something you want to be clearly awake for. Maybe stop and camp the first night.

Have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska