Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM

14 posts, read 79,618 times

Advertisements

not sure wether flying or driving yet, but am hearing nasty things about long rifels as well as handguns(I know you cant bring one of those accross the border) any one travled by land from the us to alaska that brought their long rifles across the border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,580 times
Handguns are next to impossible, rifles and shotguns (i.e. "sporting arms") are ok if you get the proper forms, fill them out, and pay the "fee" for each one.
It's a real hassle now.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,244 times
Default I brought one through 1 june 2007

If its on the non-restricted list it pretty easy. canadain customs website has links to the other sites you need to look at. list of firearms are on one and list of ammunition and amounts are on another wedsite. but the main one walks you through it.

I printed up the form and prefilled it out. You have to stop at us customs first and export the guns ( just some paper work and check serial number for stolen, ect. Then when you pull up to canadain customs you declare what you have. I had a rifle . two boxes of ammo for the rifle, and two boxes each of .45 auto and .357 magnum, handgun ammo. you can take 5000 rounds if intransit through canada. inspector asked were the pistols were and I told him I shipped them, he wanted to see copy of the shipping papers. you can't mail handguns , but you can shipp common carrier (fedex, dhl) see ATF website. Tolm me to pull over to right and go inside gave me a yellow form. Inside went to immigration gave Id ran me for criminal history. DUI or anything can disqualify you.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,244 times
Default I did 1 june 2007 continued

I then went ot import counter gave paper from immigration and pre fill firearn declaration form , ID . Inspected look at everything signed and stamped form. I paid 25 dollars inspector said have a nice day. Noone look in my truck or verified my S/n on my rifle any thing whole thing took about 10 to 15 min. The signed and stamped form is necesary to show to law enforcement while in canada. It gives you the right to have the rifle in your possession. its good for 60 days.

All said it was pretty painless. but I fully research the process knew what I was talking about to the inspectors and had all my i's dot and t's crossed. and I have a clean criminal record and driving.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:50 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetwig View Post
not sure wether flying or driving yet, but am hearing nasty things about long rifels as well as handguns(I know you cant bring one of those accross the border) any one travled by land from the us to alaska that brought their long rifles across the border?
When I moved my lovely bride from AK in 2004, it was no big deal at all. Maybe it has changed, but then I could not bring any ammunition whatsoever through, nor could I bring any handgun. They need to be shipped from a FFL dealer to a FFL dealer. The long guns simply required a simple form and a $50.00 fee (PER GUN) which in my case, was pretty expensive. I got pretty lucky entering Canada from AK, it was about 3 A.M., the Customs agent asked me if I had guns, I said yup, she asked how many, I told her (I had a LOT), she was kind of funny, rolled her eyes, and said "I don't suppose you have your paperwork done, do you?" I said "I certainly do!" with a smile..we went inside, paid the fee, she says "Have a safe trip!" and off we went. I got the idea she'd dealt with a lot of folks that never took the time to complete the paperwork or even check on CA law regarding transporting firearms through Canada. The forms needed are available on the Canadian Gov't website.. have fun!!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,875 times
Default don't forget US customs before you leave

As was mentioned in the previous post, don't forget to stop at the US customs for the proper export form before you enter Canada. They gave me a hard time for not having it when I got back to the US border.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,691 times
Thumbs up Fed-Ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetwig View Post
Just Ship those babies to Yourself to Alaska...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska