Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,623 times

Advertisements

I am so glad I found this forum, everyone here is so helpful. I'm from Boston at the moment, never been to AK, so if I sound like I'm stereotyping you guys, apologies in advance.

So my story is similar to "powerfulpup's", except I'm moving to Anchorage without fishing first. I got a job working with my uncle (he does architecture), so that is taken care of. Before I sign my life away on a contract, I just wanted to get some opinions on stuff. Luckily for me, I can live with him for a month for free and test out the town, granted it is summer and nice out. I used to live in northern Wisconsin though, so I know snow and cold, maybe not to the extent of AK, but I'm not a stranger to it.

I'm curious about the restaurant/bar/nightlife. I'm mid 20s as well. I've read that Anchorage is very similar to any other decent sized city (maybe a bit smaller) down in the lower 48, but I've also heard its "rugged" for a city, so I don't know who to believe, so why not ask the experts, huh? So is there lower 48ish entertainment, clubs, bands, crowded bars, etc? Is it pretty modern?

Also, I like outdoor stuff. I enjoy fishing, walking around and taking pictures, exploring remote areas, but there are days when I like to just have hot cup of coffee and sit in bookstore. Is every body up there (again, Anchorage, not remote bush towns) really "outdoorsy" where I'll be a social pariah if I don't fish at least twice a week, or are people in Anchorage really like most other city dwellers in the world? I see you have gangs who don't like red ball caps... Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Okay. First stop: Chilkoot Charlies. About 8 different bars under one roof. Hangout for 20 somethings. Next: Al's Alaskan Inn - ditto.

Title Wave for used books. Borders or Barnes and Noble for new. About 8 other decent used bookstores in town, but they don't have internet cafes and good coffee. There are folks here who don't drive further than 40 miles out of town. Probably a lot of them, or else the traffic to the Kenai would be 3 times as bad in summer.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM

32 posts, read 304,019 times
I lived in Anchorage for 6 years and went fishing twice.
there's a Starbuck on the corner of Diamond and Old Seward.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
There's a Starbucks everywhere! Must be a dozen at least in town.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default swing a dead cat

If coffee's your concern, lay that one to rest. Can't swing a dead cat in ANC without hitting a couple coffee stands. Especially in winter, theres a little drive-up coffee shack on the corner of virtually every major street in town....it's more a matter of choosing which one to go to, rather than if. Of interest for a 20-something, those "coffee gals" are not only proficient at whipping up a cup of fancy coffee, some of them are pretty easy on the eyes as well.

Anchorage is the usual middle-size city with the usual selection of bars and clubs from old-fogey to meat-market. Perhaps a larger than usual selection of t1tty-bars for a city of 250k, if you're in a big hurry to get rid of your money. And yes, there are people who have lived there for years, if not decades, without ever camping, hunting, fishing, hiking or seeing much more of the state than the city itself. Who knows why.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 AM

69 posts, read 321,037 times
A fun thing to do before or after work or even a day off in Anchorage for entertainmentis canoe Campbell Creek. Put in at Lake Otis park and get out at the park right before Campbell Lake. Good times.

The falls at old seward right by the artic road runner are a blast!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 AM

95 posts, read 351,793 times
Smile lots to do

My son has been up there in ANC for about a month and is having a great time. He's always busy. He lives across from a big park. He also goes to the Alaska League baseball games at Mulcahy field. He's been hiking in the Chugach mountains. There is a group of people at his work that go out together regularly; last week they all went to the Bear's Tooth theater/grill. They've also gone camping and fishing down on the Kenai at Anchor Point.

He's 24, and already loves living in Alaska. When he first got up there, I kept asking if he had seen moose. Finally he told me "mom, seeing moose up here is like seeing cattle at home - they're everywhere" - and how cool is that?! I can't wait to go visit.

I believe that if you look for fun things to do, you will find them. Adventure and entertainment don't come knocking at your door, but it seems like there is plenty to do if you just get out there.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:36 PM

82 posts, read 393,276 times
Humpy's! Moose's Toothe! Heck Dimond Mall has an ice skating rink in the middle of the mall! Entertainment is everywhere!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,287 times
Yeah alaska pretty much sucks unless you smoke weed.... which most people do.... summer here is pretty fun... winter how ever suck... there are alot of drunk natives who make them selfs look like fools.... we have two malls.... down town is pretty good... There are plenty of bars and strip clubs... i recomend bush company.... Anchorage is the less boring part of alaska... if your just visting you will like it... but if you are moving here your gonna hate it summer is total differnt from gay ass winter!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ces420 View Post
Yeah alaska pretty much sucks unless you smoke weed.... which most people do.... summer here is pretty fun... winter how ever suck... there are alot of drunk natives who make them selfs look like fools.... we have two malls.... down town is pretty good... There are plenty of bars and strip clubs... i recomend bush company.... Anchorage is the less boring part of alaska... if your just visting you will like it... but if you are moving here your gonna hate it summer is total differnt from gay ass winter!!!
No, Alaska doesnt pretty much suck unless you smoke weed. With your outlook on life it wouldnt matter where you moved, you would still ***** and moan and try to self medicate. You're the problem, not Alaska. Every place in the world has ups and downs.

There is plenty to do in a lot of different areas in Alaska. Anchorage is awesome and so is Kodiak. There are at least five other spots in Alaska that are amazing and worth spending some time. Hunting and fishing is all over the place as is mountain climbing, photography, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, trails, berry picking, and other various outdoor activities. If your idea of fun is playing playstation 3 all day with your elbow deep in dorritos while you're so high you cant get off the couch, then you should probably look into moving somewhere like your mom's basement in Delaware.

I still laugh my ass off when I see people sit around this place and get drunk and high all day. HEY LETS MOVE TO HAWAII AND CRY ABOUT THE HEAT THEN GET HIGH...THAT WILL FIX EVERYTHING!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska