Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 132,963 times

Advertisements

Finally I've found some good info about this topic. I'm moving to Anchorage next month and I've been going through this issue. I bought a new car last year (a mazda) and I just don't want to get rid of it so I'm shipping it to AK. It's a front wheel drive with manual transmition. I'm going to be living in downtown so I suppose the roads will be plowed regularly. I think I just need to get a set of really good tires and the engine heater. Any inputs on this? Worst case I'll just trade it for a Subaru...Looks like it's the popular option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I highly recommend buying a set of four new snow tires for any car. Using snow tires on the front axle and regular all season tires on the back will get you started but can be really exciting when you try to corner or stop.

I live in NH and the Subie is by far the best snow car I have ever driven.

PS - Finding a car made of stainless steel would be really nice because of the salt they use to pave the winter roads. Getting one of the "Car Bras" will help with the stone chips but will not save the headlights or windshield. Buy good comprehensive insurance and find a decent body and glass service.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR2CA2AK View Post
Finally I've found some good info about this topic. I'm moving to Anchorage next month and I've been going through this issue. I bought a new car last year (a mazda) and I just don't want to get rid of it so I'm shipping it to AK. It's a front wheel drive with manual transmition. I'm going to be living in downtown so I suppose the roads will be plowed regularly. I think I just need to get a set of really good tires and the engine heater. Any inputs on this? Worst case I'll just trade it for a Subaru...Looks like it's the popular option.
They sell lots of Mazdas here and I had a rear wheel drive one back in the 70s, great car and did fine in the winter in Fairbanks, Your car will be fine, just have it winterized, especially if you make regular trips north and out of town.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
And the moral of the story goes..there is no such thing as "suitable cars for alsaka".
It should be said "suitable drivers for alaska".
And there-in lies the lesson....

Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 AM

13 posts, read 132,963 times
Default Ak here I come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
And the moral of the story goes..there is no such thing as "suitable cars for alsaka".
It should be said "suitable drivers for alaska".
And there-in lies the lesson....
Suitable driver for Alaska...hmmmm I'll let you know once I get there...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
This is one of the funnier topics to me. I lived in Anchorage from 1953 to 1977. During the later years we drove a Corvair, 65 mustang, Saab, Buick Skylark, etc. Did have good tires and the appropriate heaters installed. Never owned a garage. Brother has lived there since over 50 years and is only now having a garage built.

Never had an accident, never ran off the road. Mom only did it once and swears it was because she had to swat us kids in the backseat.

Because there is snow and ice on the road a lot, most drivers seem to deal with it. No need for a pickup or an SUV which actually may make you less careful. A friend was in a Toyota and missed a moose when the pickup and van behind her were totalled. You need to practice driving as well as walking on ice.

There is far worse weather down here in the Lower 48. We were caught in a blizzard in the NC mountains that closed all the hiways. Then we were caught in an ice storm in Ohio that forced everyone off the road. Both times we were driving a Honda Civic and safely made it to our destination. We have winter tires even down here.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjaychang View Post
I'm moving to Anchorage in a few months and I was wondering what type of car will be suitable for the area. I currently have a Toyota Corolla and figured it probably wouldn't hack it during the winter season, so I was wondering if say a Subaru WRX that has 4x4 would suffice, or will I need a truck of some kind? Also I was wondering if the prices of cars in Alaska are more expensive due to the location. Thanks.
Hi Andy, It may be cheaper to buy your stud tires in the lower 48 than up there. Of course, U may not have room i your car to haul them up. I've priced some this year when I anticipated living that direction. By the way, are U the same Andy who previously lived near Disneyland Ca.?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,293 times
Default The Alcan

Andrew

Please note that the Alaska Canadian Highway that you will use to take your car to Alaska can chew up a car (Windshield). Do Not buy a shiney new car and drive it up. It will not be new after you arrive. I haven't driven the Alcan since 2001 and the road may have improved. Enjoy the adventure.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:02 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Andrew

Please note that the Alaska Canadian Highway that you will use to take your car to Alaska can chew up a car (Windshield). Do Not buy a shiney new car and drive it up. It will not be new after you arrive. I haven't driven the Alcan since 2001 and the road may have improved. Enjoy the adventure.
Bob, U ar so rite. Out of the 3 years of both driving and towing my originally nearly unblemished 98 RAV4 to and from Alaska, I have a cracked windshield with over a dozen rock pits on it. I quit repairing the pits after the 5th one. I have countless rock dings on the paint mostly on front but also on both sides and rear?, broken lenses on a headlight and a parking light. Of course part of the wear were from towing but I had a thick canvass over it from bumper to above the windshield. Needless to say, I have since sold that set of wheels. My other 1/2 would not even ride w/me and even claim she does not know me in the presence of company.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
The last time I drove the highway, which was over 20 years ago we drove in late March and only lost one headlight. That trip was from Louisiana, to Michigan, and then finially Alaska. So I prefer to drive it in the winter time, no motorhomes and smoother roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska