Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times

Advertisements

Albany is very safe. I liked Schenectady a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 25,055 times
How far were you willing to drive? I drive about an hour to an hour and ten to get to work depending on traffic. I live in Woodstock and I'm a single mom too with an 11 year old son. I like it here because it's like Greenwich Village in NYC in a rural setting with lots to do with your son on your days off. Cafes, free music, plenty of people, swimming holes and resources for help for single moms (Family of Woodstock). The people are very friendly and accepting. Try looking at craigslist.org, the Hudson Valley section and the Catskill section. That's where I looked for rentals. Look under rentals and also vacation rentals which are furnished because sometimes the owners are willing to rent for a year's lease especially now that summer's coming to an end. Many have pictures so you can get an idea of what's being offered for the price. They also have a youth center here in town for the kids with a skateboard park. Best of luck! I believe Woodstock is about an hour's drive from Albany.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:38 AM

9 posts, read 37,333 times
Thanks a bunch to all your replies! I really like your suggestions jobine I'm soooo glad to see another single mom like myself. I’ve been checking out these areas for housing prices which are reasonably fairly similar to here in Northern CA. I was wondering a lot about the Catskill and Hudson Valley areas, I wasn't sure of how much anyone knew about living and finding housing there. I have however noticed a lot of the places I did locate on Craigslist so far seem to be in the middle of nowhere....I'll keep looking but I don't want to feel secluded from the nearby neighbors and towns, I'm not there to see these places so it's hard for me to tell how close or far everything is. I was really thinking about Brooklyn as you suggested x2or3, I'm working on my 2nd degree and I was very interested at one point in going to the Law School in Brooklyn, until I found out I can go to Albany's Law School. I'm not sure if I'm ready to actually live in the city though. I would consider it may later in my career. I want the BEST place to live if I stay in the city, however in the meantime...I can settle for visiting whenever I can. Also, thanks for the update on the whole crime thing in Albany x2or3...I'll have to ck out the places you suggested on my next visit there. I'll keep you guys updated on my situation...hope to be there soon.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 AM

8 posts, read 52,904 times
One of the safest places to live in upstate N.Y.is in Colonie or Latham. They are convenient to everything and everywhere. Albany is about 10 to 20 minutes away for work, depending where you live. The housing market is very affordable. The schools systems are excellent. There are multiple highways everywhere, usually close to where you live. Very nice and abundant shopping centers and supermarkets. We have very good entertainment venues (The Times Union Center, SPAC, Saratoga Race Course & others). I recommend Realtor.com for looking at housing. Check out the Times Union newspaper also. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
^^^

I'll echo what x2or3 said. I live about 1/2 hour from Albany. I think Albany looks to be a great town, but I really like where I am. I work in the town of Catskill (right over the bridge from Hudson) and Greene County is relatively cheap. Some of it is within the Catskills. I live in Tannersville, which is near Hunter Mountain.

It's unbelievably gorgeous and the people are great.

I just moved to New York state and I feel like I am home.

I will say, depending on what you do, jobs will likely be more plentiful in Albany.

Good luck with your move. Very brave of you. I trust you will love it here. You can get to NYC from Albany in under 3 hours and you are also close to Boston, Philadelpia, DC, Montreal, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area