Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Global Foundries is talking more expansion; not sure of the numbers.

There is a lot of construction going on...I know they are making a big effort to attract jobs to the area.

Spoke to a neighbor who says there is a waiting list at the Paddocks. In fact, they want to expand and build more. I know this is a growing area, good schools, low crime, great restaurants, culture, affordable homes, proximity to Albany, and of course, racing.

You might check the Times-Union on Sunday. The real estate section lists all properties that have sold. Surprisingly, it appears the housing bust did not effect this region as much as nationally. Sorry I can't answer some of your questions, but our trips to SS have been limited during racing season.
Waiting list? Last summer they couldn't give these away. As I said, they were desperate so they started doing track rentals.

I am just very surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
Yeah well , that is so true, building everywhere, but not selling iN Town anyhow, further out they all these subdivision planned ( roads installed) but no lots sold or few lots, like the Burnham estates on Nothern pines, I bycicled thru there yesterday, its a joke, back there there are 3 different contractors trying to peddle homes, another road was put in on Travers like 3 Years ago, again on travers, the owners of the storage place (behind Wallmart) bough a large piece of land Years ago, nothing happen there (good) Me, I am getting out of town before my new home ( 7 years) will be dwarfed by newer and cheaper homes. As far as Malta goes, man, I dont know what the net job gain will be, I think a lot less then people imagine....Meanwhile the Bonnacios ( Saratoga's first family of contractors..) are building and acquiring more spaces (barf) time to go.
Why? I am no Donald Trump or real estate mogul, however, if places aren't selling, and there is "supply" available, and not enough demand, and so on -- why are they building?

Are they hoping that by the time they are done building things will have turned around? Are they just buying more land because it's so cheap? But they are building as well.

What's the thinking here?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM

What ever happened with The Elms at Saratoga?

The ELMS at Saratoga

I watched this development for a few years. They had plenty of lots. A few models went up, then more, then they stopped but even the ones already built didn't seem like they were selling?

Did this development "hit a wall" so to speak?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Waiting list? Last summer they couldn't give these away. As I said, they were desperate so they started doing track rentals.

I am just very surprised.
Neighbor was the one who told me this....personally I don't know.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Got it.

I am very surprised that the price of track rentals has not come down either. I saw many places going un-rented/vacant, and people would not drop their price. Had a friend who got $5k for many years. Raised it to $6k a few years ago. Got it one year and never again. Second year she stayed. Third year she lived elsewhere but it never got rented. I told her to drop it to $5k or lower. At that point she was getting zero and the place was going to sit empty.

Again, I don't understand it.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Got it.

I am very surprised that the price of track rentals has not come down either. I saw many places going un-rented/vacant, and people would not drop their price. Had a friend who got $5k for many years. Raised it to $6k a few years ago. Got it one year and never again. Second year she stayed. Third year she lived elsewhere but it never got rented. I told her to drop it to $5k or lower. At that point she was getting zero and the place was going to sit empty.

Again, I don't understand it.
We live outside SS about 10 miles and go into town for shopping, restaurants, and events. During racing season, we rarely go in, actually skirt the outside to get around.

Rentals during racing season are like the Jersey shore...many don't lower their prices no matter what. Houses go unrented, rather than lowering price.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We live outside SS about 10 miles and go into town for shopping, restaurants, and events. During racing season, we rarely go in, actually skirt the outside to get around.

Rentals during racing season are like the Jersey shore...many don't lower their prices no matter what. Houses go unrented, rather than lowering price.
Don't blame you for not going into town during the racing season.

I am very surprised. Actually, like I said, I just don't get it.

No matter what? Bad business decision?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM

263 posts, read 626,238 times
I did hear about there being a list at the paddocks, The Grey Gelding Restaurant downtown closed last Friday, no reason given....

Old 09-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
I did hear about there being a list at the paddocks, The Grey Gelding Restaurant downtown closed last Friday, no reason given....
Well I guess there was a pretty drastic swing at The Paddocks.

I am very surprised about the Grey Gelding. They seemed to be very popular and was rated highly by many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area