Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:18 AM
key

30 posts, read 125,759 times

Advertisements

Hello Looking4Home! People really think I'm crazy when I say this about the Jail coming into town, so THANK YOU for confirming this for me! It actually really started about 10 or so years before when the County Offices first moved there, ie: the Welfare Dept. It started to rapidly go downhill. And then the Jail was the cherry on top. It truly breaks my heart, I LOVE my town, I love the history of it, everything, but to see it turn into what it is, is just too much for me. It truly makes me angry. My family settled in the town in the 1600s, they were among the very first settlers here, and we've been there ever since, so this truly is 'my' town. I just want to SCREAM at them to GET OUT, go pollute some other town (who wants them though?!!)

And yes, the families of the inmates are certainly moving into town, waiting for their 'baby's daddy' to get out of jail, and then they stay. I know I sound bitter, and I am. But, I also know there's nothing I can do about it.

Are you still living in the town (Auburn)? Is that in NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,993 times
Now I'm nervous. My family and I were looking to leave Long Island (Smithtown) by June to move up to Queensbury, which is right next to Glens Falls, is it really that bad up there?

Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 AM
key

Well, we call Queensbury the Long Island of the Northcountry. It used to be very nice, safe, a very elite neighborhood... just as Long Island was. Then, the Joey Buttafucco's started moving into it. The bad areas are starting to seep into it. Everything's just extremely close, so it's hard to keep it separate for long. In the last 10 years, with the influx of people moving here from downstate (NYC, NJ, etc.) things here have started getting bad, with the drugs, and the crimes are increasing in turn.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:31 AM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Good Morning from California! Yes, Key, that would be Auburn, NY in Cayuga County, part of the Finger Lakes region. I moved from there with my family when I was young, but I still have fond memories of the way the town used to be. It has fallen on hard times now, and the prison thing is just one of the reasons it went downhill.

I'm kind of surprised that your area would be so affected - I know people want to get out downstate, but that's a long way to go to escape, and the lifestyle is so different. But that's the way it works - I live in Northern CA, and we have been inundated with people from So Cal, the good and the bad!

Old 10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
key

Unfortunately, all the downstaters that have these 'wonderful' memories of vacationing upstate when they were young are buying up all the property that the locals are losing because of the economy. It's a really bad situation, and it's multiplied ten fold in the past 10 or so years. It's not sitting too well with the locals, but what can you do? There are no jobs up here, and they're selling their homes for next to nothing to the undesirables that are leaving downstate in droves. OH well. I'm finishing up my degree and then I'm going somewhere where the economy's a bit better. Anywhere's better, actually! LOL

I love the Adirondacks so much, and it breaks my heart to see what's happening to it.

Wow, California, wasn't that a culture shock moving there? I would love to visit, I was there when I was 5 years old and about all i remember is going to Disney!

Old 10-08-2006, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it was a culture shock - imagine, we went from Auburn to West Los Angleles! Two things I remember well was my parents complaining about the public school standards - educationally, I was way ahead. The other thing was the kids making fun of my upstate NY accent Luckily, my teacher was from NYC herself, and was kind and sympathetic. I spent many a lunch time eating lunch in the classroom with her.
It was a traumatice experience for me, and when I have never gotten over. That's why I'm on this forum - do commiserate with others, and to find out if it would be feasible to either return to NY, or at least buy a summer home.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,914 times
Default Glens Falls/Queensbuury NY

I was sent this link by a friend who is considering moving to this area from Long Island. After reading Key's response to some of these postings, I felt compelled to post a slightly different perspective. First, let me begin by saying that my family and i moved up from Queens 10 years ago. The attitude that "Keys" described with regards to the "locals" resenting the "transplants" may have been true 10 years ago but I find that's changed considerably. The influx of "transplants" from Long Island, the 5 boros and even NJ and CT especially after 9/11 has had quite an impact on this area...realistically, good and bad but i tend to think most has been for the better. It has given an economic shot in the arm to this area. The Glens Falls area is experiencing a re-birth like it hasn't seen in years. Homes that have been let go are being bought and renovated into beautiful homes again. The infrastructure of the city is being updated. Glens Falls/Queensbury is still one of the best real estate investments around. With regards to jobs...there are plenty of jobs for those who are interested in working... in all different fields. With the development of Luther Forest, a nanotechnology park in Malta, there will be even more jobs to fill in the next few years. Lake George thrives on tourism. There are plenty jobs available in the hospitality industry as well...many restaurants, several beautiful new hotels, tours, boating, etc. Glens Falls Hospital is a large employer i this area as well. Retail is also growing in this area. The small mall that used to sit off of exit 19 with only two anchor stores has now expanded to include 5 anchor stores and a sit down restaraunt along with the fast food court. They expect to open a Bed, Bath and Beyond as well as a Victoria's Secret in the coming year. It currently houses a JCPenneys, Sears, BonTon, Target and Dicks Sporting Goods along with many smaller shops. In the few years that we've been here, a Lowe's and Home Depot were added to the area as was a Super Walmart. And we all know that a neighborhood is not complete without a Starbucks...we've got 3! And let's not forget Panera's. The point of mentioning all these things is just to show that the area is in fact thriving. I have three school aged children...there's a very good parochial school in glens falls if that's what people are looking for but the Queensbury Schools are awesome. All three of my children so far, have had very good experiences there. They have programs that are offered to these students that would have never have been available in the NYC school system. The teachers are excited and enthusiastic about their work.
Now, with regards to the issue of drugs and crime. Yes, there is crime in this area...but alot of the crimes that are committed are crimes of passion. There have been several murders in the last 10 years but all have been by locals who have been jilted by an ex. The most prevalent crime committed in this area involves people skimming a little extra off the top from their employers. Violent crime is not an issue around here. You might hear of an occasional bar bawl on South Street but usually nothing of any major consequence. The best way to get a good idea of the local news is to check out www.post-star.com the web site for our local newspaper. There really isn't any area that i wouldn't feel comfortable walking thru after dark except maybe the industrial area in glens falls (only because it's rather desolate at night). There are low income housing areas in glens falls that i wouldn't consider the nicest of areas but certainly not unsafe. Thats not to say that i'd make a habit of taking nightly walks in these areas but you certainly don't have to lock your car doors while you're passing thru. With regards to the drug issue. yes...it's a problem...but there aren't many places where it isn't. Underage drinking is a problem as well but i have to say...the police dept is being extremely proactive in terms of curtailing that. They're doing a great job with addressing that issue. The drug issue is a bit more complicated because its being fed from other areas...NYC for one as well as more recently Rochester. Again, the police dept is being very proactive in keeping things under control...but that's a problem each community needs to attack. Overall, this area is a lovely place to live and a wonderful place to raise a family. I couldn't be happier to have moved up here! Hope this gives you a better perspsective of this area...it's not the crime and drug infested area that "keys" made it out to be. Hope this helps!

Old 10-08-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab61 View Post
They expect to open a Bed, Bath and Beyond as well as a Victoria's Secret in the coming year. It currently houses a JCPenneys, Sears, BonTon, Target and Dicks Sporting Goods along with many smaller shops. In the few years that we've been here, a Lowe's and Home Depot were added to the area as was a Super Walmart. And we all know that a neighborhood is not complete without a Starbucks...we've got 3! And let's not forget Panera's.
To me, this is worse than violent crime! It signifies the erosion of quality of life, and the over-commercialization of a once-unique community.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:45 PM
key

10 years ago we didn't mind the occasional Downstater coming up here. Now it's out of control. I don't know where you got the info that we hated it before but embrace it now. Ummm... not true... not at all!

I was born here, and have been here most of my life, I have been able to see the changes. They say Downtown Glens FAlls is experiencing a rebirth, they've been saying that for the past 20 years. Businesses go in and out of downtown glens falls in less than a month, and presently there are more empty stores than not. This will not change until they get some parking, which has always been a problem.

The Glens Falls area is very depressed, I wish it wasn't, I love the area, but it is. Each and every small business has been toppled by the Bon Ton's and the Kmarts, and we musn't forget Target. There are nothing but the cruddy minimum wage, part time jobs available in these wonderful chain stores... and the thriving tourism business... have you looked into the salaries here? It's part time work, seasonal (3 months out of the year), and they pay minimum wage. Literally hundreds of exchange students flock to Lake George to work through work-study every Summer, and the hotels and restaurants hire them first, as they can pay them under minimum wage due to their student status. AGain, I KNOW this to be fact. Haven't you ever wondered why you've been in Lake George and someone who barely speaks English is taking your order?

Again, I am right in the middle of this, I KNOW about this. And the crimes are not all 'crimes of passion', like that's acceptable anyway? There was just a HUGE article in the Post Star (area newspaper) telling how a man from Albany (originally from NYC), just got out of prison, and was transplanted in Glens Falls, the Madden Hotel. He was a violent felon, raped several women, etc. and Albany wouldn't take him back, so our lovely GF Mayor decided to take a nice little chunk of $ to start housing these people.

And, South St is in the MIDDLE of Glens Falls, there are more than just a few little bar brawls that stay on the street. Again, I must remind you I am FROM the area, I know many bar owners, and know more than the public is told about everything that's going on.

I'm not going to keep arguing the point, knock yourselves out, move up here. Truly, what does it matter to me? I saw where I was able to add my knowledge in the area, so I did. You'll see first hand what I'm talking about.

And I wont even get into the Police dept being proactive. Truly, I wont, because that doesn't even deserve a response. They're small town police who do not know what to do with real problems, so they largely just pretend it isn't happening.

And the Starbucks Comment. THAT was proof you're a downstater! What about the THREE quaint little privately owned coffee houses, that went out of business because the 'cool' Starbucks came into the area? The downstaters ARE moving up here, and they ARE changing the area, not for the better.

Again... 'nuff said!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 AM
key

Looking4home
I didn't realize upstate had an accent! LOL I guess we do though, we tend to drop our 't's (instead of Mountain, we say Mou-in) I was once told, and now I try to be consious NOT to do that as much.

And I do agree w/you about the over-commercialization of an area, it's horrible. Where you used to find small, family owned businesses and restaurants with REAL food, you now get the Friday's and Applebees and Panera's. Blah! Fake plasticy food! I miss the real Italian restaurants with real home cooked food, now we have Olive Garden! I say Blah again! There were several little coffee houses too, they'd have local musicians, local artist showings, a real sense of community. Now... Yippee... overpriced Starbucks everywhere you look, with people trying to be snooty. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area