Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,406 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We are looking to buy a home on a parcel of land 10 acres or larger in a rural area. Washington County looks great and affordable, especially the towns of Granville, Fort Ann and Hampton. Is there any reason to avoid these areas? I don't mind being remote, that's the idea. I live not to far from this area as a renter but you can't tell much about a place by driving through.

What I am mainly concerned with is if people will be hostile to outsiders. I know this has a lot to do with attitude and I have no intention of wanting to change the place I move to - on the contrary, I am the one changing my lifestyle. But I am from a big city and well, it shows.

I know that Greenwich and Cambridge are nice towns but I might be priced out of them for the amount of land I want. I have been to Fort Ann and it looks nice despite the prison nearby. I live near to a prison now so this doesn't bother me very much.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,648 times
It's too bad you didn't get any responses to your questions! I am considering relocating to the same area. We have a friend in Cambridge and another in Hebron, just outside of Salem. We love it there. I'm more concerned with job opportunities than anything else.

Did you relocate yet yourself or make any decisions?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgardenclogs View Post
It's too bad you didn't get any responses to your questions! I am considering relocating to the same area. We have a friend in Cambridge and another in Hebron, just outside of Salem. We love it there. I'm more concerned with job opportunities than anything else.

Did you relocate yet yourself or make any decisions?
For jobs, I'd probably look in Glens Falls, Albany, Troy, Pittsfield MA or Bennington VT. It would depend on where you are in the county though.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Make that three people possibly relocating to the Washington County Area. I am somewhat familiar with this are myself. ckhthankgod is right. You may have to travel to one of the surrounding large towns/cities for a job.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Wow! I didn't think I'd get any replies ever - thank you! We have not yet relocated but are still very keen on it. I hope that the two other folks looking at this area make the move if it makes you happy! I bet it will. I moved from NYC (born and raised) up to the Saratoga Springs area to rent and try it out before buying, and I could not be happier with this choice - I just now want to be a little bit more remote than where I am.

Glens Falls btw is a really cute smaller city that is accessible from some parts of Washington County. For the poster from Brooklyn - downtown GF actually reminds me a little of my old nabe in Brooklyn.

For me, jobs are a non issue as I own a business and can work pretty much anywhere from home. I don't know if I'd be able to be up here to begin with otherwise. There appear to be help wanted signs everywhere around here though.

Best of luck everyone!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM

76 posts, read 136,449 times
We just bought property in Granville. Very nice area.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Going up to Washington County in a couple of weeks to look at a property for sale in Hebron. Not far from where my wife and I grew up over in VT. Except VT has gotten too expensive for us. We've always liked this area of NY. I used to go to the Schaghticoke fair every labor day as a child with my parents. Lots of farms and agriculture in this part of NY. Have a best friend in Glens Falls. Used to go to Hoosick Falls a lot too (Renssalear Cty) and the Drive-in in Walloomsac. Hope you made it to the Barnes & Noble and Wilton Mall and all of that shopping in Saratoga Springs while you were visiting.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Granville looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteacher View Post
We just bought property in Granville. Very nice area.
I am interested in Granville too so this is good to hear. Looks like a lot of nice homes in the area.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Going up to Washington County in a couple of weeks to look at a property for sale in Hebron. Not far from where my wife and I grew up over in VT. Except VT has gotten too expensive for us. We've always liked this area of NY. I used to go to the Schaghticoke fair every labor day as a child with my parents. Lots of farms and agriculture in this part of NY. Have a best friend in Glens Falls. Used to go to Hoosick Falls a lot too (Renssalear Cty) and the Drive-in in Walloomsac. Hope you made it to the Barnes & Noble and Wilton Mall and all of that shopping in Saratoga Springs while you were visiting.
I live very close to the Wilton Mall area. It is nice to have the shopping so close by. I do realize I will be giving this up by moving to Washington County but I'm okay with that.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM

76 posts, read 136,449 times
@Former City Gal, We used Craig Campbell Realty in Granville. Good guy to work with made everything flow smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area