Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Shop-Rite supplant Price Chopper?
Yes! Price Chopper is locally owned but I like Shop-Rite better... PC employees will find new jobs. 2 50.00%
No. Shop-Rite is nice for now but they have proven they let their stores degenerate. 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times

Advertisements

Well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
I'm not going to lie that I think the Capital Region has taken Price Chopper for granted by embracing Shop-Rite, and inviting Wegmans, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's to set up shop.

The Capital Region needs to decide if we would rather have a locally-owned company that benefits our economy or a million choices. Honestly the Capital Region was overstored before Shop Rite arrived.

If people want more choices, great, but they should also understand that Price Chopper, a company that is 49% employee-owned, going under would devestate the regional economy. If people are OK with that, then COME ON WEGMANS

Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,081 times
Default I'm actually saying something nice about the area!!!

I used to live where Shoprite was the store I went to most of the time. I haven't been to the one(s) in Albany and wherever else they set up now here in the Capital region.

I've lived up north (here and in in N. England) and I like PriceChopper, though my local one is not very big. I don't have to limit myself to PC though--we go to Aldi and Walmart, too.

I'd love to see a Wegman's (I hear they are good stores).

It's all about choice and that is one of the best things about living here--better shopping nearby than in anywhere else I have lived.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I'm not going to lie that I think the Capital Region has taken Price Chopper for granted by embracing Shop-Rite, and inviting Wegmans, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's to set up shop.

The Capital Region needs to decide if we would rather have a locally-owned company that benefits our economy or a million choices. Honestly the Capital Region was overstored before Shop Rite arrived.

If people want more choices, great, but they should also understand that Price Chopper, a company that is 49% employee-owned, going under would devestate the regional economy. If people are OK with that, then COME ON WEGMANS
But is PC fair and equitable on prices and services compared to other providers (whole Foods/Trader Joes excluded, I know they are high.)? Comapred to Kroger, Food Lion and Walmart I found them to be too overpriced, they seemed more like Stop & Shop. This is buisness and employee owned or not if they can't compete....

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM

128 posts, read 168,333 times
PriceChoppper is by far the most expensive game in town. Their quality is excellent though. I preferred Hanafords when we lived there, cheaper than PC but still very good quality. We shop at ShopRite now in NJ and find it to be cheaper than Hanaford but the quality is substantially less.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
PriceChoppper is by far the most expensive game in town. Their quality is excellent though. I preferred Hanafords when we lived there, cheaper than PC but still very good quality. We shop at ShopRite now in NJ and find it to be cheaper than Hanaford but the quality is substantially less.
I think Hanaford is REALLY expensive. Their products are very good and they have a great selection but I still go to PC if I have to go to a store.

We shop Aldi (good for staples), Walmart, then PC.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Lol I went into Shop Rite once with my dad and the cashier yelled at my dad and I for using the Express Lane when we had more than 10 items or however much it was and then my dad decided to yell right back and I think we're both banned from that location.

Good thing I moved out of NY and my dad found a new love for Price Chopper.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 AM

206 posts, read 570,625 times
Having just returned to "upstate" NY, I never even heard of Price Chopper, Aldi or Hannaford.

I also haven't been in a Shop-Rite in decades.

I noticed right away that Price Chopper was the only store that had everything I was used to buying at Safeway and Kroger.

I now only shop at Price Chopper...... and of course......Wally World

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM

I've recently realized that Aldi is not such a great deal these days. We used to go when we first moved but now we see Chopper has better deals on sauce, pasta, and so on.

I get the Shop Rite circular for the place on Central Ave. and they look like they have some decent sales but I'm not going all that way to shop (probably 20 minutes) when I have decent stores in my town.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
I've hated Price Chopper since childhood. Still can't stand them. I love the Latham Hannaford. I swear I could live there! It's my favorite grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area