Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,887 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We will be moving to the area in May. We are a family of four (2 children, ages 1 & 3). My wife has a job near Rensselaer Amtrak station and I will be working in Schenectady. We are looking for suggestions on apartment/location to live. I read earlier posts in this forum and we identified several locations; Menands, Colonie, Latham, Delmar, and East Greenbush.

Here are my questions:

1. Any other suggestions beside these area?
2. What the utilities cost for a 3 bedroom apartment will be like? My wife insisted that the room temperature should be at roasting 70F! So I guess we will need to have that on for at least 10 months in a year.
3. Is the plane noise a concern if we are living in the location near the airport? Both our children (and myself) are light sleepers.
4. How bad is the traffic if we stay north of Albany and she has to drive through Albany to go to Rensselaer for work?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 06:15 AM

233 posts, read 317,973 times
I don't have many suggestions but my sister-in-law lives in the Oak Hill Apartments in East Greenbush. It's a nice area from a visitors perspective. Newer developed complex, with a small playground and community pool along and gym. This area funnels into a stellar school system- which is why she lives there. Easy commute to Albany- would be very easy for your wife and close to major highways which will help you. The things I've heard her complain about....had mice a few times over the last few years and apparently it's common there (?), not allot of green space/play space for older children and the space that is there is dominated by dog poop. Her children are much older than yours, so some of this wont have any effect on you. Good Luck

Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Perhaps you can look into the Guilderland, Delmar/Bethlehem and Niskayuna areas as well. Niskayuna is a suburb of Schenectady, while the other 2 are suburban areas south/SW of Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area