Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2022, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,755 times

Advertisements

About to buy a home in Albany area. Can I get a recommendation for home inspector?

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 07:10 PM

1,213 posts, read 567,205 times
Tony Irvin. I believe he’s based out of Duanesburg.
I do not have his contact info handy but you can find him via internet search.
I’ve used him based on him being highly recommended and I was very satisfied.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,755 times
Thank you for your reply. I will keep that in mind.

I got an offline recommendation from a friend of a friend and the inspection was scheduled for today. I was very satisfied with his work. He spent over 2 hours combing through the house. Let's just say that he was so thorough that the seller's realtor was annoyed with him and his report.

The inspector I used was Kevin Bestler (www.thebestinspections.com)

Cheers.

Last edited by blissfool; 06-03-2022 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Minor correction

Old 09-10-2023, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,774 times
Default Home inspector /Asbestos testing Albany NY

We had an inspection performed on 3 of our investment properties by Shield Guard Home Inspections. After I had a few bad experiences with others within Albany NY area.

We've used other home inspectors in the past for our investments in Albany NY area but we were referred to Shield Guard by a friend who also buys investments in Albany/Schenectady area. When comparing all of our home inspections/home inspectors we have ever hired we realized a few things

1.) Hire a home inspector who is not alarmist. I can say from previous inspections by other inspectors we have lost out on a few investment opportunities due to the home inspector exaggerating issues that were not really an issue. On on occasion our inspector flagged a slight bow in a foundation wall. Our mason came out and advised given the age of the structure and evidence of previous surface water management the crack was nothing at all.

2.) Hire a home inspector who performs multiple services outside of the basic services. We planned on renovating a 5 unit structure in the Albany NY area. We wanted to know if the structure contained Asbestos as the removal of asbestos would have thrown off our numbers. Shield Guard home Inspections performed asbestos testing/sampling and a mold inspection (mold was in the attic) so we were able to have him take samples to determine if asbestos was present. Asbestos was indeed present and we passed on that initial investment as it did not fit our portfolio due to the asbestos. Additionally, the older structure usually have cast iron drain lines. Shield Guard performed a sewer scope inspection on the main drain line and caught an issue the seller was hiding. Roots were intruding and the seller was cleaning the line to keep the drainage functional.

3.) Hire a home inspector who is connected within the community. You will at some point need a referral to a contractor, plumber or electrician etc. Shield Guard sent us a contractors list and referred us to some amazing contractors who worked well with our numbers.

4.) Hire a home inspector who know general repair/replacement costs. Home Inspectors do not provide estimates within their report. Adam was able to provide ball park numbers for our properties on most of the major issues.

5.) Hire a home inspector who has basic code knowledge (most don't). If or when you plan on renovating, you need to know what upgrades are mandatory based on the the type of alterations you plan on performing. Upgrading may trigger newer codes that can bring up the cost of the renovations. Adam worked for the local building department and was able to assist us with getting our questions answered.

Hope this helps. I believe the website for Shield Guard is www.shieldguardinspections.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area