Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,616 times

Advertisements

I attended St. Clare's Elementary. Naturally, it was a Catholic elementary school about a mile north of Route 155 heading toward Schenectady. Unless I'm mistaken, it should still be St. Clares Catholic Church. The school still stands but I don't know what it is used for today. My 8th grade class was the last 8th grade to "graduate" in 1975 though it continued with 1-6 for another year or two until it closed completely.

I thought L-Kens was a small burger joint (I used to get the best fries from there). I am surprised to learn that it might have become an ice cream shop. I grew up on 5 Fuller Terrace not far from there. Like your dad, I remember Colonie Center when it was anchored by Sears on one end and Macy's on the other (I don't know if they remain). Each had a second floor but the center mall did not. It was very much the place to shop in those days; the first "mall" (as it is defined today) in the Capital District other than the many strip malls. Everybody shopped there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okinny View Post
I thought L-Kens was a small burger joint (I used to get the best fries from there). I am surprised to learn that it might have become an ice cream shop. I grew up on 5 Fuller Terrace not far from there. Like your dad, I remember Colonie Center when it was anchored by Sears on one end and Macy's on the other (I don't know if they remain). Each had a second floor but the center mall did not. It was very much the place to shop in those days; the first "mall" (as it is defined today) in the Capital District other than the many strip malls. Everybody shopped there.
L-Kens sold burgers and ice cream for decades. They closed a few years ago and were selling the land.

Sears and Macy's are still in Colonie Center. Macy's has been 3 floors for well over a decade.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
I grew up on Vly Road and went to St. Clare's elementary school from kindergarten (1961) through 6th grade. Then went to Sand Creek Junior High, Lisha Kill (for 9th grade), and Colonie Central for 10 through 12, graduating in 1974. I remember when New Karner Road (155) was being built. We used to cut thru the woods behind our house to watch the earth-movers. I remember buying sweet corn from the Trosians' (sp?) farm on Shaker Road. The houses are still on Vly Road, but my parents are both deceased & all of us kids have moved away. All the farmland around there has been paved over. I used to ice skate on Ann Lee Pond, and we used to look for the monkeys on top of "Monkey Ward's" down in Menands.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,822 times
Default St Clares School

I grew up in Colonie and went to St. Clares School. We moved to NJ in 1965. I wonder if we knew each other. I know the original thread was in 2008. I went back in the 80's and all woods were cleaned out. I used to take the bus to St Clare's. I would walk about 1 mile through the woods to the bus every morning. I was in 8th grade when John Kennedy was shot. I remember the nuns brought us into the church. My two uncles were priests and they would come and talk to the class alot.

It was great to see the memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area