Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,961 times

Advertisements

We are looking into relocating from the Poughkeepsie Area, Ny to Saratoga County. We have 2 boys 9 & 6 and a little girl 3. Our price range is between 2 & 300,000.
We looked at homes in clifton park but the Shen. school scared me a little. Don't want my kids to get overlooked in what seems to be a very big school district. Also, will that make it harder for them to participate in sports because of much more competion.
We are hoping to find a town with a nice village, good schools and not too rural. Anyone have any town suggestions? Right now it looks like Clifton Park is it. What about Halfmoon and Ballston? Are they much different from C.P.?
Thanks soo much for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Suggest Schuylerville School District. Nice homes beginning @$245's in Brampton Woods, Northunderland or Schuylerville, Moreau, Wilton.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Also, the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake district would be another one to consider. Ballston Spa might not be bad either. What about Saratoga Springs, South Glens Falls, Stillwater or Mechanicville? Here's something to check out:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Saratoga (broken link)

Welcome to Prudential Manor Homes, Realtors (http://prumanorhomes.leadmaxx.lantrax.com/search/index.cfm?Action=Results - broken link)

Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,719 times
I would vote for Bunrt Hills/Ballston Lake. Good, small school district and still close to the conveniences of Clifton Park, Schenectady and Saratoga Springs.

Halfmoon goes to Shen, as well as Clifton Park, Waterford, Rexford, parts of Ballston Lake up to exit 11. I would not recommend Mechanicville or Ballston Spa. I think Saratoga Springs is fine, generally preffered over Stillwater schools, although I did know someone who liked Stillwater schools better with a special needs child.

If you are working, where is your the job? That might help determine where you want to live.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,961 times
My husband will be opening his own business. We want to stay south of Saratoga. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 10,822 times
Burnt Hill/Ballston Lake is a great place to live, the school district is in the top five schools...yet still close enough to enjoy alll CliftonPark has to offer as well as Saratoga. Recently there has been some great homes come on the market in the Burnt Hills area.
For more information on the Burnt Hills/Ballston Lakes schools and neighborhoood you may want ot view this web site.Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central Schools - Glenville, NY
Peggy

Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 17,527 times
Default Realtor

Good afternoon. You are getting some very good responses. I would like to add one more for you. I am a realtor in the Capital District and one area I didn't see mentioned is the North Colonie/Latham area. Great schools, and right in the middle of everywhere. 10 minutes to Albany and Clifton Park. Great school district with low taxes. Feel free to ask if you would like any further assistance. Good luck, and welcome to the area, whereever you choose, I think you will enjoy it here.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:51 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
I would vote for Bunrt Hills/Ballston Lake. Good, small school district and still close to the conveniences of Clifton Park, Schenectady and Saratoga Springs.

Halfmoon goes to Shen, as well as Clifton Park, Waterford, Rexford, parts of Ballston Lake up to exit 11. I would not recommend Mechanicville or Ballston Spa. I think Saratoga Springs is fine, generally preffered over Stillwater schools, although I did know someone who liked Stillwater schools better with a special needs child.

I'm rather new to the area. What's wrong with the Ballston Spa school? To big?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,719 times
Quote:
I'm rather new to the area. What's wrong with the Ballston Spa school? To big?
I'm not sure if there's anything seriously wrong with the school. Depending on what kind of school you're used to, it might be acceptable. But generally, in this area, it is not one of the well regarded schools. Ballston Spa is the county seat. It tends to attract and retain people who are on entitlements and need to be close to social services. From what I hear, I think the High School has a daycare... a fellow teacher of a friend of mine, was excited when she applied for a job there because she was planning to get pregnant down the line and thought an onsite daycare was a perk. Come to find out at the job interview, the daycare was not for teacher's/staff's children... it's for the student's babies. The perception is it has more social issues and what ever funding it receives needs to be stretched to address other issues, not necessarily directly on education. It's probably not so bad, but it's not one of the better ones.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,422 times
Default Best place to live

The best place to be for housing, schools, shopping and best all round place for living is Saratoga Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area