Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

Not neccesarily rural, but just an area where I can get some privacy and have at least an acre lot without it being extremely costly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 AM

59 posts, read 287,918 times
You could try Guilderland, Delmar/Bethlehem, Glenmont, Altamont and Slingerlands to start. Any of them are close enough to Albany to be a short commute. Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
EdG

4 posts, read 28,243 times
You may also want to try anywhere in Rensselaer county - W Sand Lake / Averill Park / Sand Lake, Poestenkill - all of which are 20 min or less from downtown Albany (just over the I-90 bridge) and are still predominatly small rural communities.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 PM

19 posts, read 85,403 times
I second the Rens county towns that EdG mentioned - all reasonable, beautiful (right now the trees are breathtaking!!) and great schools.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,708 times
Ravena, Coeymans, Selkirk, Greenville, Coxsackie...all approx. 30-40 min. south of Albany.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:49 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbean8 View Post
You could try Guilderland, Delmar/Bethlehem, Glenmont, Altamont and Slingerlands to start. Any of them are close enough to Albany to be a short commute. Good Luck.
None of those places are rural. Guilderland and Glenmont are highly commercially developed. Delmar is quaint but snobbish. Slingerlands is nouveau riche housing developments. Altamont is a cute, small village, but still not what I would call "rural."

Rural is more west Albany county to me... Berne, Rensselaerville, Westerlo.... aka "the sticks."

Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 12,440 times
Default Ruralish places near Albany

I would try East Greenbush. It's close and you get to the country quickly. It's also more affordable and has some expansive views if you get into the hills.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM

28 posts, read 140,584 times
If you want to be in Albany County, I second what juppiter said. The western area is called the "hilltowns", and it's more rurally without the high expense of the suburbs. I don't know Rensselaer County very well. You also might want to check out southern Washington County, which is beautiful. Look at a map, and take it from there.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:09 PM

80 posts, read 359,174 times
I agree with juppiter;

"Rural is more west Albany county to me... Berne, Rensselaerville, Westerlo.... aka "the sticks.""

But beware, I have coworkers that live in those towns. I cannot tell you nor can I take much more of their complaints about how much they are paying to fuel their automobiles...even now as the cost of gasoline has gone down from about $4 per gallon to 2+$ per gallon.

Keep in mind...you will get land cheap out there but you will pay for it in gasoline and property taxes because there is virtually no commercial property in these towns...property and school taxes are basically 100% of the residents responsibility. Another thing my hicksville coworkers complain about and I can't stand to hear anymore. To the point I am looking for another job.

So if you do decide to move to a "remote" area, PLEASE do not complain about gas prices or your property taxes to your coworkers. YOU made the choice. Cheap land = high taxes and high commute costs. You have been warned...again, if you decide to go that way DO NOT complain.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Yeah, I would never live out there. You want a cute little village, Altamont, Voorheesville. Why the **** anybody would live out there is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area