Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,868 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in albany. He wants to move to amsterdam. I have a 6 year old son and wonder about the schools, crime rates and so on. Please help

Last edited by MaRap; 04-12-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 04:19 PM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
Amsterdam is a very small town. There are a lot of farms in the area. Due to the small population I'm assuming crime is pretty low but you are better off checking the city statistics online. I'm not familiar with the school system either but I know the best rated schools in the Albany area are: Niskayuna, Voorheesville, Bethlehem and Guilderland. Sorry I don't any specifics about Amsterdam but I'm just trying to give you some info about the area.

Also, are you aware that Amsterdam is about 50 minutes West of Albany. Is there a reason why you decided on Amsterdam? I'm assuming it is because you want more of a country living? Have you been there?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 AM

155 posts, read 849,866 times
Amsterdam is 25 miles west of Albany (about a 1/2 hour drive) and an easier commute than towns much closer along the Northway corridor.

Amsterdam is a throwback of a small city and has some great little neighborhoods with excellent architecture. Though there are your typical dirtdog sections close to the city core, there are still many good areas. Crime isn't much of an issue, just the petty quality of life crap, and drug busts now & again.

The best areas are around the Van Dyke and Chapel Street areas, and around the Golf course. Some prefer the Town of Amsterdam since it is sheltered from city issues and taxes, and some of the homes are in the Broadalbin/Perth School district, which is better.

Schools in A'dam are an issue- not unusable like many Schenec & Albany, but troubling nonetheless. St. Mary's Institute is an excellent option.

I think Amsterdam is very underrated when compared to other Capital District cities, but we have many of the same issues as many older, upstate microcities.

Last edited by rug city; 04-15-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,811 times
Default Amsterdam , NY

As a former resident from Amsterdam NY I would like to say that it was and alway will be a nice place to raise a family. Although I was moved from there at the ade of 15 , I would have loved to stayed there to raise my family.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:23 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
They love their Football team at the High School too.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Not sure if you've heard about this, but there are a number of projects happening in Amsterdam to revitalize our waterfront- the most ambitious of which is a project to turn an old factory into luxury apartments that overlook the Mohawk River. Not sure if it will all come to pass, but if so it could be a turning point of sorts for our little city:

Denied:1up! Software () (http://recordernews.net/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=66&ArticleID=112 8 - broken link)

just so… « Amsterdancin’

Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM

At long last Amsterdam has a website up & running- check it out:
City of Amsterdam, NY Official Web site

Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
fort plain is about 45 min west of amsterdam and is much safer and is a nice small town low crime

Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
fort plain is about 45 min west of amsterdam and is much safer and is a nice small town low crime
Actually, the OP stated that the job would be in Albany though. That would make the commute even further than it would be if they moved to Amsterdam.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,279 times
Amsterdam is nice - but the commute can range from 25 to 45 minutes depending on the start and the destination. The commute can be tough in winter as you must travel the highway regardless. Where are you moving from? Perhaps you should consider renting a place near Amsterdam and then consider the options. We have a lovely home for rent for 3 - 12 months in East Greenbush, right outside Albany (8 miles) in a family friendly neighborhood with wonderful schools. If you are intersted, the house is available before school starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area