Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 AM

55 posts, read 178,311 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to help a friend with relocating. This is what her needs are:

Close to NYC (up to 3 hours away is okay; she needs to be close to family due to medical issues)
Good schools for two kids (elementary and middle)
Looking for diversity and low crime
Good economy with jobs available
Entertainment is a plus

She is determined to get into the city of Albany, not the suburbs. She has a car but would also like to rely on public transportation. Where and what part of the city would be best for her to look? Anything else she needs to know about Albany?

FYI: Yes, I know the suburbs would be better. I've read other threads. But lets just try to focus on just the city so I can get her the info she is looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
Hi,

Close to NYC (up to 3 hours away is okay; she needs to be close to family due to medical issues)
Entertainment is a plus

She is determined to get into the city of Albany, not the suburbs. She has a car but would also like to rely on public transportation. Where and what part of the city would be best for her to look? Anything else she needs to know about Albany?

FYI: Yes, I know the suburbs would be better. I've read other threads. But lets just try to focus on just the city so I can get her the info she is looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Albany is def. NOT 3 hours from NYC...more like 4-4.5. Why not try something like Rockland County. It's really nice, suburby and city-ish depending on where you move to...and about an hour and a half from NYC. You can get there on the metro north or jersey transit.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I went to school right outside Albany - you can easily make it in 3 hours. I've done it many many times. And that was when I was living in Suffolk. COming from NYC - definitely. Take the Palisades thru NJ to the Thruway.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 PM

431 posts, read 1,142,368 times
There are some decent areas of Albany, but I feel that its far from impressive. The schools are notoriously tough. If ten years from now I had children and lived in Albany, I'd send them to private school. However a co-worker lives right in Albany and has two small children. And she raves about the school system. So I guess its all a matter of opinion.

If your friend is coming from NYC, then she's going to be disappointed in lack of entertainment. Many big name performers stop through on tours, but concerts are expensive. I'm a big fan of the NYS museum. Its free. But not much changes and there isn't a whole lot to see. I'd say the suburbs are the way to go.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 AM

50 posts, read 150,072 times
In terms of good areas of the city... the Pine Hills district / Heldeberg (I believe that is what it is called) is pretty nice. Just look along New Scotland Ave and the side streets there (the further away from Madison Ave you travel down New Scotland, the better it gets). Also, housing near SUNY Albany is pretty decent. I am not sure how much your friend wants to spend on a apt. In those areas, she will probably spend $1000/month, give or take a couple of hundred. I have noticed students starting to move into the neighborhood around Ten Broek St/Clinton Ave/North Pearl and the streets moving towards the river, making it pretty diverse (and the housing is cheaper, though the area is not as nice as those mentioned above). Also, apartments around Washington Park are nice, though the parking sucks. However, you are closer to entertainment and Lark St.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,671 times
Albany is only 120 miles or so from NYC. You can make it from Albany to the Tappan Zee Bridge in less than 2 1/2 hours weather and traffic permitting. Also, Rockland County is less than an hour from NYC and if you're referring to eastern Rockland it's about 30-40 minutes or so. I don't understand where some of the posters at this site get their information from.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

48 posts, read 137,833 times
...Albany is def. a 3 hour trip lol... 2 1/2 depending on who's driving lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Albany is def. NOT 3 hours from NYC...more like 4-4.5. Why not try something like Rockland County. It's really nice, suburby and city-ish depending on where you move to...and about an hour and a half from NYC. You can get there on the metro north or jersey transit.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:18 PM

48 posts, read 137,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnickles85 View Post
In terms of good areas of the city... the Pine Hills district / Heldeberg (I believe that is what it is called) is pretty nice. Just look along New Scotland Ave and the side streets there (the further away from Madison Ave you travel down New Scotland, the better it gets). Also, housing near SUNY Albany is pretty decent. I am not sure how much your friend wants to spend on a apt. In those areas, she will probably spend $1000/month, give or take a couple of hundred. I have noticed students starting to move into the neighborhood around Ten Broek St/Clinton Ave/North Pearl and the streets moving towards the river, making it pretty diverse (and the housing is cheaper, though the area is not as nice as those mentioned above). Also, apartments around Washington Park are nice, though the parking sucks. However, you are closer to entertainment and Lark St.
Great Post

Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 AM

57 posts, read 162,922 times
Default Personally...

I think housing is super expensive right in the city, i enjoyed living in the "little italy" district of troy and commuting to albany for the fun stuff... heck it's even a short bus trip..

Crime is high, school isn't so good, and the rent / housing is expensive... welcome to albany!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 AM

57 posts, read 162,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
Hi,

Entertainment is a plus

Thanks in advance!
Most importantly you really really have to get outside the city of albany for "good schools" there is ALOT of crime in the city of albany.. "my cousin is a cop in albany as well, i'm not making this up" Her "determination" to get into the city of albany makes no sense, where you can live somewhere 10 minutes from albany, enjoy a nice place to live, and pay the same rent.. and have a better school..

Think city = crime... otherwise, saying good school for kids in the city of albany is like saying "i'm looking for the good smelling part of your dirty shorts" there are none.

Unless guns to school, and violence is a good school

Well.. outside the "city of albany" in "west albany" is the south colonie school disctrict.. you can be right on the cusp of the city and have a wonderful school, heck u can see the plaque of my brother on the wall there too :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area