Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:36 AM

28 posts, read 25,620 times

Advertisements

I had a couple of questions about the regional identity and sports fanbases for Albany-Schenectady-Troy-Saratoga Springs (ASTSSMA).

1) Where does your region start?

2) Do you consider yourself's a northern extenstion/satellite of metro NYC/downstate New York or do you consider yourself's your own seperate region?

-In other words would somebody from this area have a problem being identief with NYC/downstate metro NY?
-Do you consider Albany to be your region, which is different, or do you consider it to be extenstion of Mass/VT?

3) Who is covered on the newspapers and on TV?
-Do you get just Albany papers, no Mass papers?
-Do you get Albany or even NYC/Utica TV stations or Mass/VT Stations?

4) On to sports, what are the sports loyalities like in
MLB: Yanks/Mets....sox?
NFL: Giants/Jets....pats?
NHL: Rangers/Isles...Devils..........Bruins
NBA: Celtics/Knicks/Nets

Are you pretty much, sports base wise, the same as Dutchess and downstate NY?
I would think since Albany is in NYS, closer to NYC in distance and in culture and certainly the suburbs and reaches of downstate, there would be a marginal difference at most in sports allegiances from ASTSSMA to Rockland.
Why would Boston, which is out state, and further away by distance and culture, have a big following especially if you can not get their games?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
I grew up in a suburb right outside Albany and now live in Boston. The immediate Capital District considers itself a separate entity from NYC. When I meet people and say that I'm from upstate NY because it's very different than the NYC metro area. Now, some people don't realize how big NY state actually is and depending on who you're talking to "upstate" can mean anything from Buffalo (techncally W NY), Rochester, Syracuse (technically Central NY) to Plattsburgh (now that's upstate).

No one really considered themselves a part of VT or MA since the Cap Region are the main cities here. You could ask the people who live in the border areas of those states since they may identify more with NY because they get the Albany TV/radio channels (at least W MA does). The media covers the NY teams (including Buffalo, I believe).

Growing up, most people were fans of the NYC pro sports teams with maybe some Buffalo team fans thrown in. For Div I college sports, Syracuse is the more popular school as opposed to say, St. Johns. Now, I know that the MA border towns have some split loyalties between the Boston area teams and NY. Since they get the Albany tv stations, a lot of people grew up watching the NY sports teams on TV as opposed to Boston teams.

I don't remember a big Boston sports following growing up. You'll always have people who relocated from MA and have their Boston allegiance, but I don't think there is a big following these days.

Personally, my line of demarcation for where the greater Capital Region ends has always been around the Saugerties/Kingston area in the South, maybe just beyond Amsterdam to the West, MA border to the East and up past Lake George to the north.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM

57 posts, read 162,787 times
I tell people that I'm "from albany" or "from upstate ny" to out of stater's..

Personally i see TONS of redsocks fans, and work with more sox fans then yankee fans to be honest..

Football Albany is giants country.. city is Jets country..
other sports it's all over the map..
covered in papers it's yankees mets for bballl..
Patriots, Buffalo, Jets, Giants for football..

knicks for basketball..
Hockey doesn't get much coverage around here...

We definately consider our self to NOT be part of Vt/Mass.. we consider newengland to be another region.. albany is it's own region in the mind of most people here...

sorry for the hodge podged answer.. but typing fast at work.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Oh and we call it the "tri-city area here sometimes.. Albany schenectady Troy..

Saratoga and whatnot is actually a different region if you live here..w/ lake george / glens falls...

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
^ I wrote in my earlier post that I don't remember there being a significant Red Sox fan base when I was growing up, but lots of people relocate. People who either grew up in New England, lived there for a long time or maybe their parents did.

Also, the last decade has been very good to the Red Sox (and Boston sports in general). The Yankees haven't been bad, but the Sox have been better and they became baseball's darling. You'll always have bandwagon fans and some people like to have the unpopular allegiance. You could explain a surge of Red Sox fever in NY because it's a lot more fun to root for the rival when they're better than the "home" team.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 PM

39 posts, read 50,984 times
I really don't understand why the Red Sox or any Boston team would have a significant much less close to a split loyalty in the Capital Region.
To me, it makes no sense whatsoever. Although Albany is different from NYC, you still are closer to NYC and are much more tied into NYC economically, politically, and culturally than you are to Boston and New England.
You get YES and SNY along with MSG....you do NOT get NESN.
Hence being the capital of New York and given the gravitational pull of NYC's economy and politics it does not make sense that Boston would have much empathy from the capital region and that this would be further 'stifled' by the fact you can't access and follow Boston media on local channels.

So considering all this....is it really safe to say this is split between the Yanks and Sox?
To me, I would think it would be:
A. MLB-60% Yanks.....25% Mets....15% Sox
B. NFL..65% Giants....20% Pats.....15% Jets
C. NHL...65% Rangers....15% Devils...10% Isles...10% Sabres

Can you give me the splits for MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm just commenting what i observe.. personally i dislike both teams, i'm an oakland A's fan! and more a yankee's fan then a redsoxs fan.. as a Jet fan i know more Pats fans then Jets fans in life.. I think it's definately a HUGE bandwaggon following in the area..

Hockey there aren't many fans that i meet, i'm a pens fan myself..

Football order wise it's Giants/Pats/Jets(makes me sad)
Baseball order wise it's Yankees/Redsox/Mets (sorry!!!!)
Basketball it's ..err.. I don't know, but i don't know any Knicks fans.. lol

Count hats as you walk around malls and such.. lol..

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM

39 posts, read 50,984 times
Thanks...if you could...what would you say the split is by order and percent for 1) MLB 2) NFL 3) NHL

Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 PM

451 posts, read 694,906 times
Utica is Yankees, Giants, Rangers and Knicks, and its an hour west of Albany.

So...

Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Utica is Yankees, Giants, Rangers and Knicks, and its an hour west of Albany.

So...
and all of them have followings in the Syracuse area. So, I'm not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area