Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 PM

25 posts, read 99,954 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will mostly likely be moving to Albany to finish school. I've been there a few times and became aware that Albany is big on apartment buildings and row houses, which I am not a fan of. I would like a neighborhood where I could live in a house that had been converted into two or more apartments, and would have access to a small yard. Its also nice to be in a neighborhood that isn't just residential and you can walk to things like theaters, bars, stores, restaurants. I would of course need to live close to Albany State and would like to be close to Lark Street. If anyone knows of any neighborhoods I might like, I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 AM

57 posts, read 162,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softmachine View Post
Hello, I will mostly likely be moving to Albany to finish school. I've been there a few times and became aware that Albany is big on apartment buildings and row houses, which I am not a fan of. I would like a neighborhood where I could live in a house that had been converted into two or more apartments, and would have access to a small yard. Its also nice to be in a neighborhood that isn't just residential and you can walk to things like theaters, bars, stores, restaurants. I would of course need to live close to Albany State and would like to be close to Lark Street. If anyone knows of any neighborhoods I might like, I would appreciate it.
Oh that kinda grass!!!! I got the wrong idea by your topic name..

Sand creek road close to wolf road might be an option. you can have an actual single family home w/ a law and be near wolf road which has bars and movies, etc.. short bus trip..

In albany that is "west albany" but considered colonie.. you can branch farther into albany that way, but you hit everett road and central, your back to slumish..

Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 20,355 times
I suggest that you call some licensed realtors ask them to show you photos online for your search. There are really nice areas and not so nice, so ask questions, call the city to find out any restrictions, check it all out before signing anything. Just south of Albany is also nice easy commute, I also suggest the Perth ny area 30 min_ or so from albany, bus saves you the drive, lots of safe nice housing not expensive as albany, Latham is nice but pricey, niskayuna also . just look around find what fits your desires and budget, and ask questions, make sure resale in your area is what you are looking for. best wishes

Old 08-19-2009, 03:57 PM

85 posts, read 199,431 times
if want to be able to WALK to stuff like your post said

you don't want to live on wolf road or perth

you might want to check out places on Madison , near college of saint rose or lower

Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 PM

20 posts, read 53,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softmachine View Post
Someone mentioned it, but I'll put in another suggestion of near St. Rose. I'm actually on Western Avenue between N. Main and N. Allen at the moment (just west of St. Rose) and it seems to fit your criteria perfectly.

Most of the rentals on this side of St. Rose between Western and Washinton are converted homes with yards - some of a pretty good size even. Living in the area, you can easily walk a couple blocks to Madison avenue where you have the Madison Theater and a couple bars.

You'd also have access to the bus lines (#11, #12) that run along Western and Washinton, respectively and go right into campus. It's a quick and easy ride either way.

Finally, Albany State is in Albany, Georgia. Your alma mater (and mine) will be/is the University at Albany. Best of luck with the move!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 AM

22 posts, read 95,473 times
I second the St. Rose area. There are restaurants, stores, bars and a movie theater within walking distance. Plus buses #12 (Washington) and #10 plus #11 (Western) are free to SUNY students, which is between these two streets. There are plenty of 2 floor flats in that neighborhood. If you are browsing online you want to keep an eye out for "Pine Hills" area. Although it seems people are listing there rentals in the Pine Hills area even if they are not. I would be more than happy to help you out if you email me the addresses of prospective places. I would know right away what the neighborhood is like.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Another vote for the St. Rose area.

I lived in two different places on Sand Creek, both were nice and had yards, but I couldn't really walk anywhere from either.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 AM

73 posts, read 155,071 times
The college of St.Rose area is pretty nice and close enough that you can walk to the things you're interested in. Also, before you rule out all the "row houses" you should check which floor is open. Many of them have backyards & are rather nice. (I lived in 2 of those at different times during my 15 years in Albany)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area