Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,720 times

Advertisements

Whatever public venues should be built downtown. All cities have been building stadiums, concert halls, convention centers, and auditoriums downtown for the last fifteen years. Even as far back as the late 19th century public venues were built downtown. It wasn't until the 1950s that venues were built in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 AM

123 posts, read 236,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
if abq had a tenant that would be a major draw, it would make sense to put an arena downtown. i don't think that's the case right now. like i said in the other thread, i'd personally rather see a 2,000 - 3000 seat, state-of-the-art music venue with 2-3 concerts a week. as it stands, there's no good venue to see a show here.
NBA D-League Thunderbirds; strong chance that minor league hockey Scorpions would return if such an arena was available. There has been talk of WNBA team for ABQ. Factor in concerts and other events plus convention spill over and there would be enough dates.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,355 times
Quote:
as it stands, there's no good venue to see a show here.
Did they close the Kiva Auditorium? And the Sandia Ampitheater? And the National Hispanic Cultural Center? And the Pavilion?

Chap

Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdwell View Post
Who is suggesting the powers that run CWS chose to move the event to the new downtown stadium because it's downtown? The city of Omaha is wisely (in my opinion) following the redevelopment path taken by so many other cities and locating infrastructure downtown. Smart move. Just as it was smart for Minneapolis, San Diego, Indianapolis, Washington DC, Denver, Boise, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, Seattle, Houston, San Francisco etc. etc. etc.
Every city you cited, except Boise, has at least one major league professional team that uses the stadium. That alone probably provides the stadium with required utilization.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
NBA D-League Thunderbirds; strong chance that minor league hockey Scorpions would return if such an arena was available. There has been talk of WNBA team for ABQ. Factor in concerts and other events plus convention spill over and there would be enough dates.
The Thunderbirds draw about 1,000 a game (as compared to UNM drawing 15,000+). Admittedly, Tingley leaves a lot to be desired, but even if the new arena doubled their attendance, is 2,000 a game enough to support an arena?

The Scorpions were drawing less than 1,000 a game, in a new facility, with a flock of different promotions. Would an even newer arena increase interest in hockey here where there is little? Personally, it's a lot easier for me to get to the Star Arena for hockey, which I often did, than go downtown.

In a new arena gets more concerts, than that would undoubtedly sqeeze the other venues. Performers go where there is money for folks to buy tickets, and a new arena isn't going give people any more money to buy tickets. I also don't see that the convention center is turning away potential users, so any convention spillover would simply take usage away from the convention center.

To justify a new arena/stadium, there should be evidence that that folks are staying home and not attending events in current venues, but will attend events in a new venue, or that current venues are overloaded and the demand continues. I have seen no evidence of either scenario.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Did they close the Kiva Auditorium? And the Sandia Ampitheater? And the National Hispanic Cultural Center? And the Pavilion?

Chap
the reviews on citysearch seem to confirm what i said. if you're ever in vegas, try to catch a show at the pearl theater at the palms. it's only 2,500 seats. but it's hands down the best venue i've ever seen a show. i've seen well over 100 concerts over the years at many, many venues.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,017 times
Quote:
sports arenas make horrible concert venues. the acoustics always suck. personally, i think downtown would benefit more from a great concert venue that would attract more A list national acts. i'd even settle for B+.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
... the pearl theater at the palms. it's only 2,500 seats...
Sounds to me like ABQ already has venues that could accomodate events of this size. And while I'm sure the Pearl is best thing since sliced bread (musically speaking), I'm fairly confident that any subjective or qualitative differences would be lost on the vast majority of local concert goers.

And if you think people have issues with building the proposed Events Center, try selling them on a premium priced, cutting-edge, single-purpose venue with limited seating. Oh, wait... someone already tried that. Anyone remember the ill-fated "Performing Arts Center" whose funding was to come from the now-defunct "Quality-of-life" tax?

Quote:
i've seen well over 100 concerts over the years at many, many venues.
Good for you!

Chap

Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 PM

123 posts, read 236,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Every city you cited, except Boise, has at least one major league professional team that uses the stadium. That alone probably provides the stadium with required utilization.
Louisville's New Downtown Stadium

Wichita's Downtown Stadium

Lincoln Nebraska's Downtown Stadium

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM

I think the downtown Des Moines Iowa Events Center would fit on this list as well....

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque