Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM

366 posts, read 1,249,312 times

Advertisements

The convention center is only a block from Central. If you were to build it at 1st and Central, you would literally only have to walk across a parking lot. I think something like that should be on Central to bring more life to the city. Convention centers by their nature are boring. It's hard to get excited going to see a show at one. I'd imagine they wouldn't be much fun to play in either. But a detached structure adjacent to one would make it convenient for dual use, while not sacrificing its appeal as a music venue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 AM

741 posts, read 2,926,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
Not everyone is as broke as you.
Nice. Playing both the race and elitist card in the same thread. Way to stay classy.

BTW, my wife and I would probably be one of the few regular patrons of a facility like that you propose, so you needn't concern yourself with what economic stratum I currently occupy. Okey dokey?

Quote:
It would not be hard to fill a 2,500 seat venue at $75 a ticket.
That may or may not be true. (I tend to lean toward the latter, but not as the stubborn naysayer you try and paint me as, but as someone who has lived in ABQ for 30+ years and has a firm grasp of the local attitude towards high priced tickets.) But I find it somewhat irresponsible to advocate for the use of public funds to build what essentially would be an indulgence for a very small portion of the general population.

That is, unless you're not advocating for the use of public funds to build your boutique venue. In which case, I say more power to you! Since you feel that this concept is such a sure fire winner, you should have no difficulty finding similarly minded investors.

Quote:
It's a reflection of a mentality that you perpetuate.
Uh...no. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I wanted to raze Tingley? And just because I don't agree with your ideas for change/improvement, it doesn't mean that I think everything is fine as-is.

Quote:
Too many people here think things are good enough. Nothing needs to improve. Nothing will improve until you learn how to think differently.
Once again, something we can agree on!
But just because something is successful/embraced somewhere else, you can't assume that the same will always hold true in ABQ. Otherwise you start to sound like the guy from NJ who thinks street cars and light rail are appropriate for all areas and situations because they work so well back east.

Chap

Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM

366 posts, read 1,249,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Nice. Playing both the race and elitist card in the same thread. Way to stay classy.

BTW, my wife and I would probably be one of the few regular patrons of a facility like that you propose, so you needn't concern yourself with what economic stratum I currently occupy. Okey dokey?
Class isn't exactly a word I would associate with you. Go back and read your comments. Then tell me about keeping it classy. Each and every one of them was smartass in one way or another

Quote:
That may or may not be true. (I tend to lean toward the latter, but not as the stubborn naysayer you try and paint me as, but as someone who has lived in ABQ for 30+ years and has a firm grasp of the local attitude towards high priced tickets.) But I find it somewhat irresponsible to advocate for the use of public funds to build what essentially would be an indulgence for a very small portion of the general population.

That is, unless you're not advocating for the use of public funds to build your boutique venue. In which case, I say more power to you! Since you feel that this concept is such a sure fire winner, you should have no difficulty finding similarly minded investors.
I never said public funds should be used to build a concert venue. I said there are currently no good venues here. And a high quality downtown venue would be good for the city. You disagreed with my assessment of ABQ's venues, in a smartass manner, of course. Then when I pointed out their poor reviews, you continued to argue for the sake of arguing. It's ok to admit you just may be wrong. But I guess it's also ok to argue ad nauseum long after you forgot what you were arguing about.

Quote:
Uh...no. Perhaps you missed the part where I said I wanted to raze Tingley? And just because I don't agree with your ideas for change/improvement, it doesn't mean that I think everything is fine as-is.

Once again, something we can agree on!
But just because something is successful/embraced somewhere else, you can't assume that the same will always hold true in ABQ. Otherwise you start to sound like the guy from NJ who thinks street cars and light rail are appropriate for all areas and situations because they work so well back east.

Chap
The one thing that's obvious is that what Albuquerque currently has does not work. No decent acts play here. That's due in part to a lower population. But also due in part to the lack of a quality venue. We can't do much to change our population. But we can build a better venue.

No one can predict the future and say with 100% certainty what would and wouldn't work. But from my experience working with the industry, I can say that a better venue would be a strong selling point to promoters.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 AM

177 posts, read 407,026 times
Why argue? Albuquerque will never, EVER build a new arena. Anywhere.

That is a fact that history has proven again and again.

If you want a new arena, sorry.

If you are against the project, sit back and relax. It will never happen.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martinez View Post
Why argue? Albuquerque will never, EVER build a new arena. Anywhere.

That is a fact that history has proven again and again.

If you want a new arena, sorry.

If you are against the project, sit back and relax. It will never happen.
I am sorry, but you are starting to sound like a broken record. You are posting the same message over and over, but you aren't in a discussion...

Do you have a brief simple explanation for the other users, like me, of why you keep making the statement "Albuquerque will never, EVER build a new arena. Anywhere.". Personally I do not want a new arena. When we moved to the Albuquerque area 10+ years ago, we were satisfied with the area. (I have also visited or had business in the area on and off since 1968).

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque