Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:38 AM

272 posts, read 1,510,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie&Bill View Post
What we were told is that there are people who have moved to Miami and after a few years learned they cannot deal with the humid weather everyday. So, they are now selling their houses, making good money and are relocating in NM not only because they like it but also because places like Arizona and Nevada (especifically las Vegas) are already too crowded and can´t take any more people. Same thing with some people from California, they are selling their homes for a lot of money and relocating in NM. So, that is why prices may go up in the next 2 or 3 years, we were told. But what you say is very interesting and I appreciate your input. Plus, I have learned that all these things are sometimes relative ... it all depends on who you talk to and when
With all due respect, much of what you were told is nonsense, as you will discover if you really dig into The Housing Bubble Blog-- or if you visit the City Data boards for those states/areas.

Florida: most folks who are leaving Florida are doing so because of the high cost of property taxes and insurance (hurricanes, you know). The folks who decided to retire there and then changed their minds (for a variety of reasons) mostly come from the northeast states and they are called "halfbacks": They moved to Florida and are now moving half way back to where they came from, to places like North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, etc. Some of them are indeed moving to the Southwest, but not in massive numbers and not specifically Albuquerque above the other southwestern states.

Arizona and Nevada (specifically Las Vegas) are not so crowded they can't take any more people. Thousands of new folks are moving to those places every day, and not just for retirement but because there are jobs there. Whoever told you that was silly. (I recently spent several weeks in the Tucson area and am currently in Las Vegas, and both places' populations are still growing like weeds!)

Californians (especially Southern Californians) are moving everywhere, mainly because they can no longer afford to live in California but also because they are looking for a better quality of life. Go to any City Data board (but especially the western states) and you'll see a lot of complaints about them from the locals, lol). Oregon and Washington are major destinations for Californians, but also Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona and yes New Mexico.

The housing bubble has hit especially hard in California, Florida, Arizona and Nevada. There are hundreds of thousands of newly built homes/condos in those states sitting empty because of the current situation. Many of them were purchased by speculators who thought they could flip them for profit. It's a really really big mess. Buyers are sitting on the sidelines, waiting to see how low the prices will go. Way too many owners have now found themselves in the awful position of owing more on their houses than the houses are currently worth. In other words, they're upside down with their mortgages. Others used their equity to take out second mortgages so they could buy neat stuff like boats and cars and take vacations (and second homes), and now they are in desperate straits as well. Is it a buyer's market? You bet-- but they aren't buying just yet.

Wow, 6 kitties and a little dog. Yeah, that makes it hard. It's hard enough with just our one little pug! Maybe you could get lucky and find someone who can't sell the house they bought for investment and is desperate to rent it to someone just to cover their costs. That kind of thing is happening a lot these days.

Anyhow, I'm just saying that the evidence indicates that whoever told you prices are just going to go up up up in beautiful Albuquerque over the next few years for the reasons cited was wrong. Keep an eye on the market there for the next few months and see what happens, and don't get pressured to buy immediately. This crash is affecting the entire country; some places are just slower to feel it than others. You don't want to pay too much for your new abode.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM

86 posts, read 292,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
With all due respect, much of what you were told is nonsense ...

Anyhow, I'm just saying that the evidence indicates that whoever told you prices are just going to go up up up in beautiful Albuquerque over the next few years for the reasons cited was wrong. Keep an eye on the market there for the next few months and see what happens, and don't get pressured to buy immediately. This crash is affecting the entire country; some places are just slower to feel it than others. You don't want to pay too much for your new abode.

Good luck!
Thank you for your words, Baja Boomer It really helps to have different points of view. Plus, I'm the one who is looking into stuff about NM more than my husband. He is really busy with work and travels a lot so it's part of "my job" to do the research, talk (so to speak) to people -like in this forum- and get opinions, suggestions, different points of views, etc. I know this forum is just one more tool among the many many out there but what I really like about it is that, a lot of times, you get all kinds of different opinions about the same topic, so you get to know "the good, the bad and the ugly" about a place/people/situation. I find it really interesting how different a perception can be about the same topic! And what I really like about people in this forum is that they are not trying to convince you of anything, they just give you their perception/point of view and then, you decide what to take and what to ignore So, I will keep doing my homework but I wanted you to know that I appreciate your input a lot.
Angie

Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
"Speculator" and "Investor" are four letter words here in Florida.

One of the big reasons ABQ is so high on my relo list is the rental & housing market. So far, y'all haven't had the HUGE bubble (and trust me, YOU DON'T WANT IT!) and therefore won't have as far to fall should your market implode. But, to be honest, I don't think you guys will implode. Decline maybe, implode no. Part of your price increases are due to those moving from higher price markets who are willing to pay asking price, since it's usually lower than what they just left/sold. I saw this happen when I lived in Dallas - Plano prices went thru the roof when a bunch of CA companies relocated to the area, as did Austin prices. However, since it wasn't a state wide phenom, the market leveled out after a bit rather than collapsing (as is happening here in FL).

That's just my $0.02 worth.

To be honest, from what I've been reading on the various forums, it looks like NM would be appealing to a larger audience if the schools were better (or perceived as better, whichever is the case).

Old 08-02-2007, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 41,158 times
Placitas is beautiful but if you want to live near the city then that’s something you should take into consideration. I have heard good things about cedar crest but I haven’t actually spent much time there myself. I lived on the Westside not in Rio rancho closer to Coors and the Cotton wood mall, I don’t know if you know where that is but it’s a good place to have a family and Cibola is a good high school too. I was wondering, did you eat at a Dions? If not when you go back you should try it out! The pizza is really good and its very affordable its also a restaurant that is native to New Mexico and they are all over the place in Albuquerque and in Los Lunas too. In fact I don’t think they are anywhere else in the world other then New Mexico. I like Los Lunas but I thought it was to small for me personally, also there’s more to do in Albuquerque. I am so glad you like the city oh and I-40 well you should know that people in Albuquerque don’t know how to drive in snow, people freak out from even the lightest snow fall, and most times any snow that does fall is slush by noon. You probably encountered people that went through this last winter’s snow fall it was a record snow fall for Albuquerque surpassing the record from like 60 years ago. I lived there for four years and I don’t think the snow got over 2 or 3 inches and it defiantly didn’t last for more then two days. Truthfully the fact that it doesn’t snow so heavily is one of the main reasons why I plan on moving back. I live near Detroit and it was crazy this winter I hated it to say the least. Anyway hope you get the info you need. Any questions just ask if I know I'll let you know

Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Hello, Chynna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chynna View Post
Placitas is beautiful but if you want to live near the city then that’s something you should take into consideration. I have heard good things about cedar crest but I haven’t actually spent much time there myself. I lived on the Westside not in Rio rancho closer to Coors and the Cotton wood mall, I don’t know if you know where that is but it’s a good place to have a family and Cibola is a good high school too. I was wondering, did you eat at a Dions? If not when you go back you should try it out! The pizza is really good and its very affordable its also a restaurant that is native to New Mexico and they are all over the place in Albuquerque and in Los Lunas too. In fact I don’t think they are anywhere else in the world other then New Mexico. I like Los Lunas but I thought it was to small for me personally, also there’s more to do in Albuquerque. I am so glad you like the city oh and I-40 well you should know that people in Albuquerque don’t know how to drive in snow, people freak out from even the lightest snow fall, and most times any snow that does fall is slush by noon. You probably encountered people that went through this last winter’s snow fall it was a record snow fall for Albuquerque surpassing the record from like 60 years ago. I lived there for four years and I don’t think the snow got over 2 or 3 inches and it defiantly didn’t last for more then two days. Truthfully the fact that it doesn’t snow so heavily is one of the main reasons why I plan on moving back. I live near Detroit and it was crazy this winter I hated it to say the least. Anyway hope you get the info you need. Any questions just ask if I know I'll let you know
Well... well... let's see:
1. From what I have read here in the forum about Placitas, plus some nice people who live there and have shared some info and photos with me, there is no doubt in my mind that Placitas is a very beautiful place.... but it is also expensive! It's difficult to find a nice home for less than 300K-400K

2. I remember the Cottonwood Mall area as well as the Coors Blv. We would like to live in the city but we can't because of the type of business I'm planning on starting, a pet boarding facility I need a quiet setting (it's going to be cat-only), lots of trees, birds, squirrels and whatever I can get to entertain the kitties

3. Schools are not a concern for us ... my husband and I are beyooond that Our kids are grown ups!

4. We did not visit Los Lunas. Some people say it's a nice area but other people have some reservations about it. Some say there are still some "pockets" with bad neighborhoods.

5. The reason why easy access to my place it's important is because I'm counting on getting "feline clients" from ALL OVER the place, not just ABQ. I'm even counting on getting clients from Colorado, once they know about me and how good, safe, clean and friendly my place will be.

6. No, we did not eat at Dion's. I wiil add it to our list and check it out on our next trip which, I'm hoping, will be soon.

7. Thanks a lot, Chynna, for you input. I will definitely ask you if I have questions ... I usually have lots! and eveybody in this forum has been extremely nice and polite and helpful. I always get the answers I need and more !
Angie

Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,989,104 times
Wink Each different

As others have suggested you may wish to rent initially if possible, and not only due the present real estate market. Each of the areas you are considering is distinctly different, in ambience, culture, crime, etc., something perhaps not readily apparent at first.

Cedar Crest is more or less in the mountains and thus snow when Albuquerque sees only rain and cooler overall temperatures. Not New Hampshire, but still. More significantly I-40 is a major corridor both in local and interstate traffic, especially semi trucks. A narrow canyon in summer and consistently in the news come winter with one traffic problem or another. People do it but you may find that you and your customers would at times just as soon avoid such a drive.

If you head south of Albuquerque be careful. You might find something entirely delightful and reasonable in cost as well. But in general this area has a lot of rough edges, insular communities, and probably more crime than you are used to. It depends, but look closely.

Something that could work but you may not favor is due west of Albuquerque. Lots of open space and the direction some of the newer developments are heading. You may find it too isolated and open, but if not then possibly a lot of space at a price you'll like. In addition, even though access probably via I-40, a much easier drive west than due east of the city.

Bernalillo was mentioned and it might work as well. Also some of the small communities just north of there along the Rio Grande.

Placitas has much to recommend it. For one it is a relatively short and easy commute into Albuquerque via I-25, but once there you feel removed within a beautiful desert setting at the base of the Sandia mountains. Cost may be the biggest factor, although within such an upscale suburb of sorts, or anywhere else for that matter, you may wish to inquire about zoning and if such a business allowed.

In that regard you may wish to consider Old Placitas, a few miles further east up the road. Just know that in culture and ambience it is a lot different than the newer community. More traditional and you only want to be there if fitting in. Maybe not.

Believe it or not Santa Fe may be exactly what you want. It IS expensive, most certainly for housing. One can circumvent this to an extent by living on the outskirts; the most likely possibly just to the east. Here it will be more like Cedar Crest with lots of pinon and juniper, also a bit more snow. You'll be more or less out in the country. Certain issues with getting into Santa Fe but even at times more snow nothing like dealing with I-40.

However, even if locating in Santa Fe or just outside it the higher initial cost could work in your favor. Real estate reflects the desirability of the area and that this the epicenter of serious money in New Mexico. You may find that even if Albuquerque offers a greater potential client base that they somewhat parsimonious in comparison to clients in Santa Fe who will gladly, even expect to, pay top dollar for perceived value. In other words, in the short to long term you might be far better financially off in Santa Fe.

In any event, in time you'll know which you love best.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM

51 posts, read 143,332 times
My son will be coming out to Albuquerque this October. He is looking forward to the move, as he has lived in Naples Florida since he was 4 years old. He is into computer hardware and is A+ certified. He wants to study more for his other certifications. Could anyone from the area tell me if UNM has a good programs in this area? Or other schools. What types of jobs are around for what he has now? Thanks In Advance!

Karry

Old 08-30-2007, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 52,421 times
I live in Northen Rio Rancho. The sand does blow a bit but my friends that live on the west side of Albq. say that it blew just as bad there until things built up a little. As people around us finish landscaping, and some have fenced or walled their yards, I'm not seeing near as much sand.
I live in a section where it is all half acre or larger lots and is fully improved with paved roads, curbs, city water, sewer, gas etc.
Everything to the west is to-be-developed. Soon much of the desert and sand will be covered up.
If you are still thinking about Rio Rancho, just avoid the dirt road areas.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM

751 posts, read 1,179,672 times
Angie, I finally read this entire thread and wish you the best in ABQ!! I found this cat thing you want to start so cool! I am a cat lover, just adopted my first one and I am so happy with her, cats are amazing creatures, I have never loved a pet as much as I love this new friend. and she is so SWEET!!
Anyways, I am from South America like you, and when you mentioned this "cat business", I immediately thought about the section of town called "Los Ranchos de Albuquerque", it is really an oasis in the middle of Albuquerque, but I would assume it is an expensive area!? I am sorry if you are looking for something less expensive, but that is an amazing area of Albuquerque. Anyways, good luck to you in the future!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitist View Post
Angie, I finally read this entire thread and wish you the best in ABQ!! I found this cat thing you want to start so cool! I am a cat lover, just adopted my first one and I am so happy with her, cats are amazing creatures, I have never loved a pet as much as I love this new friend. and she is so SWEET!!
Anyways, I am from South America like you, and when you mentioned this "cat business", I immediately thought about the section of town called "Los Ranchos de Albuquerque", it is really an oasis in the middle of Albuquerque, but I would assume it is an expensive area!? I am sorry if you are looking for something less expensive, but that is an amazing area of Albuquerque. Anyways, good luck to you in the future!
Dear Elitist ...
thanks for taking the time to read the whole thread ... it's got pretty long, thanks to all the "invisible friends" that post their opinions, advice and suggestions!
And thanks for your best wishes ... I can't wait to start my business ... all I have is the name for now... it's going to be "HAPPY MEOWS" because all the cats will have a happy time at my "purring lodge" Hopefully, I will see you there sometime if you need to travel and want to leave your baby in my care. We are planning another trip to NM in January, so we can look around, see what it looks like in winter and visit some areas we did not have time to visit back in July, like Bernalillo, the town, Tijeras again (more in detail), Edgewood and even Placitas, although I already know that we may not be able to afford a house there Prices start at around $350-400 ... that is a lot of money!
We looked in Los Ranchos de ABQ but it's expensive ... oh, well, we need to keep looking ... although Cedar Crest is still in my mind .... there is something special about that area ... but I'm confident that, regardless of where I am, people from all over NM will find my purring lodge
Thanks again for your best wishes
Angie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque