Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM

277 posts, read 682,741 times

Advertisements

I definitely think all these things could be playing into this: car itself, perception of scenery, my own idiosyncracies...

The car is about 10 years old, and I actually had it checked out within the past couple months. Other than tire pressure, the mechanics (at a dealership service type place used to dealing with my vehicle make, I presume) made no other comments on anything else being wrong. I didn't ask for more since I didn't have this weird feeling on I-25 at the time. Alignment had recently been done. I didn't think about anything beyond a basic check like the steering column or other joints.

I am also wondering if wind is playing a part... it hasn't seemed terribly gusty to me recently, but still...
As RandomName alluded to, I was mostly wondering if I-25 seemed to "tilt" to anyone else. Seems like the majority of you are fine and haven't noticed anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
The crowning or cross slope intentionally added to highways is to help increase safety by preventing the buildup of water which causes hydroplaning

Rich
http://www.crashforensics.com/papers.cfm?PaperID=8

Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,488 times
some parts of I-25 are more severe than others. i notice it more heading south around I-40 and downtown.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,325,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
This may get back to some of the previous comments I made about the speed limit on Paseo del Norte, but as I was driving on I-25 (southbound, I think) the other day, going mostly 60-65 and trying to keep with the flow of traffic, I had this odd sense of not having great control of my car. I couldn't tell if it was something funky with the road (either grooves or unevenness)... does anyone else feel this way going at higher speeds on the interstates here? In my previous life, I didn't really have problems with this, driving in the Midwest. Maybe I'm getting old.
It's not you. The concrete pattern on some modern freeways is very "wavy" and can indeed cause your tires to go along with the pattern, swerving from side to side.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 AM

923 posts, read 2,421,260 times
I've never noticed a problem in any of the vehicles I've driven on this stretch.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,091,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim
It's not you. The concrete pattern on some modern freeways is very
wavy" and can indeed cause your tires to go along with the pattern,
swerving from side to side.
I used to drive a 1978 model car that "noticed" the wavy stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I've never noticed a problem in any of the vehicles I've driven on this stretch.
I think vehicles with independent rear suspensions and front struts just don't have as many problems with such pavement.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,753,041 times
My Harley Sportster was sensitive to grooves, but the Dyna doesn't notice them.
There's a really noticeable slope in the areas being redone north of Alameda, but I've
never noticed any sort of pavement oddity elsewhere on I-25.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM

277 posts, read 682,741 times
The grooves definitely bug me, but I discovered today that the sensation I was experiencing is almost certainly due to what Rich said - the "crowning" or intentional slope of the streets/highways(?) to prevent flooding. I felt it today while driving in a newer car in great shape and still had to pull the car slightly to the left while in the right lane.. I must be REALLY sensitive to this.

Was this crowning done to compensate for Albuquerque's otherwise-poor ability to handle flooding on the roads, or is this commonly done everywhere? I have just never noticed it as much before.

This was just on major roads... I have yet to try my theory out out I-25 yet.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
Was this crowning done to compensate for Albuquerque's otherwise-poor ability to handle flooding on the roads, or is this commonly done everywhere?
It is commonly done everywhere. Some basics:
Quote:
Fundamentals of Transportation/Design - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks
Roadway cross sections are important in design primarily for drainage. If roads were flat and level, water would congregate on the surface, reduce the coefficient of friction, and become a safety concern. Therefore, designers implement a "crown" cross section, which has a high elevation along the road's centerline and then tapers off as it leads to the shoulders. This slope is generally very small and unnoticeable by drivers, but succeeds in allowing the water to run into the ditches or storm sewers.

Rich

Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM

110 posts, read 366,405 times
Every car is different, but if you're not used to the winds in NM, it might fool you into thinking there are ruts in the road or something wrong with your car. Since the winds are changing all the time, you are further puzzled as suddenly your car seems fine.

The freeways here are mostly upper level and the winds at that level have a tendency to pack under the car. The faster you're going, the tighter it packs and can actually pick the car up and move it over a foot, leaving you to think you've just lost your mind.

It happens more on north/south highways, especially through the valley between the mountain and the bluffs. Going east/west there is no mountain on one side and a high ridge on the other, so you don't get the same sort of winds.

You might take that into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque