Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM

281 posts, read 629,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
THERE WAS A WINCHELL'S DONUTS HERE???
Used to stop and get donuts from there on the way to watch the balloons... before they took off from the balloon fiesta park.

There were several, if I remember right. I wasn't smart enough to care about them at the time, though.

Does anyone remember where Sambo's was? I remember being inside, but can't remember a location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,309,411 times
I seem to remember that Chelsea Street Pub in Coronado was closer to Sears in the 70's.. or am I mistaken?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM

642 posts, read 1,114,753 times
Quote:
This reminds me...

Remember when they first opened Krispy Kreme here and there were a couple of police officers who got in trouble because they landed the police helicopter there without permission?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,309,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandyman View Post
Does anyone remember where Sambo's was? I remember being inside, but can't remember a location.
Wasn't it on the NW corner of Central & San Mateo?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
This reminds me...

Remember when they first opened Krispy Kreme here and there were a couple of police officers who got in trouble because they landed the police helicopter there without permission?

Yea, I remember, they were practicing landing techniques. Good pilots do that all the time.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM

142 posts, read 323,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
I seem to remember that Chelsea Street Pub in Coronado was closer to Sears in the 70's.. or am I mistaken?
I don't know about the 70s but in the 80s I think it was on the first floor between Foley's and Macy's.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,832,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albuquerquealex View Post
I'm so old I remember when the Porsche dealership was on Wyoming, between Lomas and Copper W side.
There was a Cement plant at Wyoming and Constitution S/W corner.
Duke City, Cactus, Terrace, Yucca, Silver Dollar, Sunset, Wyoming, Tesuque were drive-in Theaters.
When in 1957,the Civic Auditorium, 1959 the Western Skys Motor Hotel, 1961 the Winrock Shopping Center, 1966 the Sandia Peak Tramway.... opened up.
Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix all played at the Civic. President John F Kennedy stayed at the Western Skys Hotel. A joint venture between soon-to-be Arkansas governor Winthrop Rockefeller and the University of New Mexico is how WinRock came to be. I got my first kiss from Mary Slone on the Sandia Tram...just say'n.
I was born in Albuquerue in 1959 and left in 1966. My Dad worked at Sandia Base and every once in a while would go to Western Skies for some kind of corporate meetings. When I drive through Alb, I always find myself thinking of it, and looking for it. I remember it being on the east side of town and on the south side of I-40. Is that where it was or is my recollection all wrong? He would point it out as we were driving into the mountains. It was on the opposite side of I-40 as all the water tanks.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,065,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I was born in Albuquerue in 1959 and left in 1966. My Dad worked at Sandia Base and every once in a while would go to Western Skies for some kind of corporate meetings. When I drive through Alb, I always find myself thinking of it, and looking for it. I remember it being on the east side of town and on the south side of I-40. Is that where it was or is my recollection all wrong? He would point it out as we were driving into the mountains. It was on the opposite side of I-40 as all the water tanks.
Yes, that is where it was.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,832,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Yes, that is where it was.
Do you recall what the cross street was under I-40 that it was on, and is anything there now? I still look for the water tanks on the north side.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM

923 posts, read 2,421,260 times
Has anyone ever seen the 1971 the movie "Bunny O'hare" which was filmed in Albuquerque? It starred Earnest Borgnine and Bette Davis. This thread reminded me of the movie because there is a police chase scene that goes right through the Winrock Mall (the character being chased is on a motorcycle). It was very nostalgic seeing Winrock the way used to look back then. This is the 1970's version of Breaking Bad except the guy becomes a bank robber instead of making meth.

The movie can be watched on Netflix if anyone is interested.

Bunny O'Hare (1971) - IMDb

Quote:
Did the tornado devastate the area? Was the damage as bad as some of the tornados in the midwest in recent years?

I lived within walking distance from the Winchell's on Washington and Zuni. We used to walk there often as kids to buy jelly doughnuts. Sometimes they gave us free ones that they were going to throw away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Do you recall what the cross street was under I-40 that it was on, and is anything there now? I still look for the water tanks on the north side.
I believe it was on Central just east of the Tramway exit. In the few years before it was torn down it had become a haven for drug users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque