Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 02:05 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,123 times

Advertisements

My parents moved from SoCal to Santa Fe (Eldorado) a few years back. The move to Santa Fe has not worked out for a variety of reasons and we are currently discussing leaving and considering Albuquerque.

I was driving around Sunday looking at areas and neighborhoods and drove into the Four Hills area by complete accident. I was very pleasantly surprised! I had never heard of this area before and was under the impression that neighborhoods south of I40 can be a bit dicey.

After doing some research online, it looks like most of the houses there are well within our budget, and I'm still under the impression this is a nice area. In someone ways this area actually reminds me quite a bit of where I grew up.

I would really appreciate some feedback and insight on Four Hills. What are the people like? Anything I should watch out for? Are there big problems in that area of Albuquerque? Etc. Since I know very little anything anyone can tell me would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
My parents moved from SoCal to Santa Fe (Eldorado) a few years back. The move to Santa Fe has not worked out for a variety of reasons and we are currently discussing leaving and considering Albuquerque.

I was driving around Sunday looking at areas and neighborhoods and drove into the Four Hills area by complete accident. I was very pleasantly surprised! I had never heard of this area before and was under the impression that neighborhoods south of I40 can be a bit dicey.

After doing some research online, it looks like most of the houses there are well within our budget, and I'm still under the impression this is a nice area. In someone ways this area actually reminds me quite a bit of where I grew up.

I would really appreciate some feedback and insight on Four Hills. What are the people like? Anything I should watch out for? Are there big problems in that area of Albuquerque? Etc. Since I know very little anything anyone can tell me would be appreciated.
The user berncohomes lives in Four Hills and can probably enlighten you a bit on the area.

It is a beautiful, well-established neighborhood. I think it's safe, despite the reputation of nearby areas. Definitely worth considering. Everyone I've ever known who lived there loved it. Good luck!!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM

83 posts, read 134,118 times
Default RE Four Hills

Good Morning. I do not live there but we are considering making the move from Vegas to NM and I came across this info in doing my own research. Its a few years old. I didnt know if this would help or not. Good luck.

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...uerque-NM.html

Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,268 times
While Four Hills is an attractive and safe neighborhood, if you're sensitive to noise, you might want to check it out thoroughly. I'm over there from time to time with friends and always notice the loud noise as planes fly up from the airports. I find it very annoying myself.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Four Hills is our favourite part of Albuquerque, that's why we made it our home. Just like the OP when I first discovered the area I was very pleasantly surprised and it reminded me of area's outside of New Mexico, I like the winding road and greenery and the privacy you feel from only having one road in and out. The houses were built in the sixties and early seventies when houses still had uniqueness and the covenant here required all properties to be over 1800SF.

Properties are affordable, starting in the low 200's with a nice range up to over $1M and home sizes ranging from 1800SF and up.

Crime is very low in this part of town, there is a private security company dedicated to the Four Hills area who patrol the area 24/7, for around $50 a month they will also drive by your property on a regular basis and respond to any alarm within minutes. These guys are armed and are all current or retired Police or Military and provide a service second to none in this area.

We are close to the base and airport and on the south side you will see the odd jet or helicopter but more frequently you will see and hear commercial aircraft coming in to land if they take the approach from the east.

We do see coyotes, they do roam the base even though they do put traps out to reduce the numbers, every now and then one gets under the fence and you might see it roaming the streets, security told me when they do it usually on a Sunday evening because trash pick up is on Mondays.

Snakes are also seen if your property backs up to the base and you might see the odd tarantula too. A bobcat was sighted by my wife but that was over a year ago.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Proposed legislation limits access to southeast Albuquerque neighborhood
By Marissa Lucero Published: April 17, 2017, 10:04 pm Updated: April 18, 2017, 4:35 am

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – One city councilor wants to limit future access in and out of one of Albuquerque’s wealthier neighborhoods, and neighbors are all for it.

People in who live in Four Hills Village tell KRQE News 13 they like that there is only one route — Four Hills Road — in and out of the area.

“It gives us safety and security knowing that our neighbors are the people going and coming in here,” William Moore said.

Monday, City Councilor Don Harris introduced a resolution that would keep it that way.

“It just clarify’s that in Four Hills, we are not going to have any other access points other than for emergency vehicles,” Councilor Harris said.

Entire Article At: Proposed legislation limits access to southeast Albuquerque neighborhood | KRQE News 13

Old 04-23-2017, 03:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
I find the residents associating lack of access with safety and security very similar to a dog who feels safer and more secure (when flying or sleeping) when they're locked in a crate.

From a wildfire or plane crash, having one bottlenecked road does not make you safe or secure.

Plus we all saw how well the limited access deterred the criminals in the tragic case of William McKinley, or last Christmas' murder-suicide.

That's Four Hills' leading deterrent to my ever considering living there- too many residents are out of touch with reality and aren't content keeping it to themselves.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:59 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I find the residents associating lack of access with safety and security very similar to a dog who feels safer and more secure (when flying or sleeping) when they're locked in a crate.

From a wildfire or plane crash, having one bottlenecked road does not make you safe or secure.

Plus we all saw how well the limited access deterred the criminals in the tragic case of William McKinley, or last Christmas' murder-suicide.

That's Four Hills' leading deterrent to my ever considering living there- too many residents are out of touch with reality and aren't content keeping it to themselves.
I know of several pockets near me that have a street blocked with a fence that I'm assuming only fire and police have the keys for. It's not as much a security thing as it is keeping the residential street from becoming a freeway between two major roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque