Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I spent all of last week downtown and I've got to say, that's the strangest downtown I've ever been in. It's like a ghost town. Even at lunch when all the business people should be out. The plaza in the middle of town makes it even eerier, open space, fountains, benches, and not a single person there. No real lines at any of the restaurants on central. Just strange.
And yet theer are some that want to spend over $200 million on a downtown street car
and untold millions more on downtown-oriented bus systems....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I spent all of last week downtown and I've got to say, that's the strangest downtown I've ever been in. It's like a ghost town.
I wouldn't say ghost town, we have those. It's not a downtown like LA or NYC or Philly... Some parts are busier... By the courthouses (is that still downtown?)

Rich

Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 PM

132 posts, read 291,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
And yet theer are some that want to spend over $200 million on a downtown street car
and untold millions more on downtown-oriented bus systems....

Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,942,365 times
Default bRgR

I tried bRgR last night. When I arrived, I hadn't made up my mind whether to eat in or take out, but as soon as I got inside, I realized I would be going with takeout. It was incredibly loud inside, loud in a bad acoustics sort of way. For me, this gave the restaurant a bar-like atmosphere, which makes some sense I guess, since in addition to gourmet burgers it serves artisan beers. The crowd mostly seemed college-age to me. I could see this place appealing to young people with lots of money to throw around (or young people with some money and little sense of restraint--I now shake my head thinking of some of the places I used to eat when I was an essentially broke student in graduate school). The burger was good, with a much better than average bun. I'm not convinced it was worth the price, but I do like the fact that this their beef is healthier (grass-fed, hormone-free, etc.), so it might be worth paying a little extra. Still, I can't help thinking I'm also paying for the edgy packaging of the restaurant.

If I had a choice in the matter, I would rather see a downtown Fuddruckers than this place. As long as I'm living downtown, I may use this restaurant occasionally for takeout orders, thanks to the paucity of good downtown restaurants (especially at dinner time), but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM

277 posts, read 682,680 times
Maybe off the beaten path for this thread, but has anyone ever eaten at the Hotel Andaluz? Reviews?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 AM

350 posts, read 769,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I tried bRgR last night. When I arrived, I hadn't made up my mind whether to eat in or take out, but as soon as I got inside, I realized I would be going with takeout. It was incredibly loud inside, loud in a bad acoustics sort of way. For me, this gave the restaurant a bar-like atmosphere, which makes some sense I guess, since in addition to gourmet burgers it serves artisan beers. The crowd mostly seemed college-age to me. I could see this place appealing to young people with lots of money to throw around (or young people with some money and little sense of restraint--I now shake my head thinking of some of the places I used to eat when I was an essentially broke student in graduate school). The burger was good, with a much better than average bun. I'm not convinced it was worth the price, but I do like the fact that this their beef is healthier (grass-fed, hormone-free, etc.), so it might be worth paying a little extra. Still, I can't help thinking I'm also paying for the edgy packaging of the restaurant.

If I had a choice in the matter, I would rather see a downtown Fuddruckers than this place. As long as I'm living downtown, I may use this restaurant occasionally for takeout orders, thanks to the paucity of good downtown restaurants (especially at dinner time), but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.
I was in there twice over the weekend and saw mostly older people and a few families, along with a few college-age people here and there. And you're right - it was loud. But pretty much every restaurant is loud at one time or another...especially along Central Avenue at lunch on a weekend at a new restaurant. I thought the food was pretty decent. I like that they have 10-15 good beers on tap.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM

350 posts, read 769,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
Maybe off the beaten path for this thread, but has anyone ever eaten at the Hotel Andaluz? Reviews?
Yeah, it's pretty decent. Kind of spendy, but worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque