Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,606 times

Advertisements

Which school, Manzano or Eldorado, is overall a better school? Including, education, band, sports, all that jazz! Thanks(:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,940 times
Both schools are on the same system; therefore, your teachers will be paid the same for the same skills.

That said, teachers will have fewer problem students and spend more time teaching, on average, at Eldorado. It's not a significant difference, though. Both are good high schools. Eldorado just happens to score better: band/sports will have heavier parent involvement, presumably with heftier booster clubs, which is a nicety, but a minor one. La Cueva usually blew Eldorado out of the water when it came to that when I went there 20 years ago. A kid of average skill will typically make a higher squad at Manzano than at Eldorado, but the teams usually perform slightly better at Eldorado. Again, slight difference, not major.

A good kid can do well at either school, and a bad kid will do poorly at either school. I'd pick the one you're closer to and, if it comes to a coin toss after that point, pick Eldorado strictly on a slightly better reputation.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM

195 posts, read 472,438 times
Eldorado is in the NE Heights! I think that's one of the best neighborhoods and areas in the city. Manzano is near Lomas and Juan Tabo. I don't like that area too much; close to the highway; bad traffic. If it were my kid, I'd send him to La Cueva; and if that's not possible, then Eldorado.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,553 times
El Dorado.

I personally would vote El Dorado as the top high school in APS, but that is purely subjective.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,940 times
An added note about nomenclature:

Even though "El Dorado" is the correct Spanish, the school's name is one word: Eldorado. Since "E.D." stands for something else in today's culture, perhaps it's better that it is known as one word when abbreviated.

Perhaps it was named after the Cadillac Eldorado, which went from a correct "El Dorado" concept car to the mass-market one-word "Eldorado" version.

Could be worse. Have relatives in El Dorado, Arkansas, where Dorado rhymes with Potato.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,922 times
Another voter for Eldorado. It's been a great school for my stepson who is at the top of his class and captain of his sports team.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 PM

146 posts, read 326,016 times
Thanks for the +thoughts about Eldorado. My husband was speaking to his new Abq boss on the phone today and was told we made a big mistake opting for the neighborhood we did (East of tramway, north of Candelaria) and not being in the Desert Ridge/ La Cueva area. I was really beginning to worry. I feel better now.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 AM

14 posts, read 23,392 times
Don't sweat missing on La Cueva if your kid wants to get into sports, that may not be a good possibility soon.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 24,438 times
I have lived within walking distance of Manzano for 17 years (until I moved out to Milan last fall). Even when I moved in, in early 1993, I was quick to realize that Eldorado was the better school. Manzano has gotten much better over the past 2 decades in most areas, but it still has a ways to go to be one of the better APS schools.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 PM

923 posts, read 2,420,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barthm01 View Post
Don't sweat missing on La Cueva if your kid wants to get into sports, that may not be a good possibility soon.
Volleyball, football, and now baseball players with drugs or drug paraphernalia this school year. Unfortunately, drugs are not just a problem with certain athletes. According to a friend's daughter who went to La Cueva for two years, drug use is pretty rampant because the students are not short of cash. My friend's daughter hated the school due to the snobs and the drugs/partying. If you didn't drive an expensive car or into the parties, you were an outcast. Of course that's the perspective of a teenager. She transferred to Eldorado this year and has been extremely happy. She said the environment is a lot more healthier for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque