Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,637,360 times

Advertisements

It always is confusing when one considers that APS serves areas and towns/villages outside of Albuquerque's city limits. But APS is an entity entirely separate from the City of Albuquerque so that is why it expands outside of Albuquerque's city limits to serve students from all over Bernalillo County and into Corrales. Most of Rio Rancho used to be served by APS until residents there asked to form their own school district separate from APS. And like APS with Albuquerque, Rio Rancho Public Schools is not part of the City of Rio Rancho.

And it is true that some Rio Rancho residents still are obligated to pay on bonds they voted on and passed when they were being served by APS even though they are now served by RRPS. The reason why I say "some" is because not all of Rio Rancho used to be served by APS. I forget the exact border, but I believe residents north of Northern Boulevard used to be served by the Jemez school district, so that is why people living north of that old dividing line don't pay on old APS bonds. The former T-VI (now CNM) district had the same boundaries as APS and its Rio Rancho portion was never excluded when RRPS came into existence, so that portion of Rio Rancho formerly in APS is still in the current CNM taxing area, that's one of the main reasons why CNM has committed to building a campus entirely in Rio Rancho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I forget the exact border, but I believe residents north of Northern Boulevard used to be served by the Jemez school district, so that is why people living north of that old dividing line don't pay on old APS bonds. The former T-VI (now CNM) district had the same boundaries as APS and its Rio Rancho portion was never excluded when RRPS came into existence, so that portion of Rio Rancho formerly in APS is still in the current CNM taxing area
Yes, one issue was there was an error in the border, and it was moved about five years ago, but there were a lot of issues.

I think there are still some Rio Rancho residents who attend APS.

Rich

Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Some pictures I took around the village hall of Village of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque a while
back:

Rich

Old 10-26-2011, 08:17 AM

372 posts, read 712,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
there have been a few discussion for the west side of Albuquerque to break off and become it's own municipality.
Rich
I didn't know that. Sounds interesting, where can I find info on this?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,314,579 times
Is that discussion tied to breaking APS in half too?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
I didn't know that. Sounds interesting, where can I find info on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Is that discussion tied to breaking APS in half too?

ABQjournal.com: Albuquerque Journal login page
Thursday, September 21, 2006
West Siders Push for Break From APS
By Andrea Schoellkopf, Journal Staff Writer
Quote:

One day after voters approved a 5.6 percent property tax increase to build new schools, Albuquerque Public Schools faces efforts from both the city and West Side residents to wrest control from the district.

Leaders of the West Side Coalition of Neighborhood Associations have begun to plan for a feasibility study that could lead to creation of a new district west of the Rio Grande.
The article continues...

There were several "groups and associations" on the West side of ABQ pushing for a lot of changes during that 2003 to 2006, to include splitting from ABQ as well as APS. A lot of talk and rumors...

Rich

Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:

The article continues...

There were several "groups and associations" on the West side of ABQ pushing for a lot of changes during that 2003 to 2006, to include splitting from ABQ as well as APS. A lot of talk and rumors...

Rich
I knew that there has been that push to have separate school districts, but I was more interested in your comment on the west side wanting to become its own municipality. I can't read the whole article because I don't have a Journal subscription.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,637,360 times
Quote:
I knew that there has been that push to have separate school districts, but I was more interested in your comment on the west side wanting to become its own municipality. I can't read the whole article because I don't have a Journal subscription.
I think it was more 'taunting' by those Westsiders interested in breaking off from APS more than anything else. I can't recall exactly whether there was ever a serious push to break away from Albuquerque itself but if there was most certainly it was being advanced by certain political and neighborhood leaders on the Westside rather than being a grassroots movement or sentiment held by most people on the Westside.

Most of those secessionists on the Westside (AND the South Valley) just like to complain and have this feeling that somehow they are being shortchanged for everything in this city (the general term not just the actual City of Albuquerque).

Most of the secessionists, I think, don't truly appreciate what secession involves to succeed. You have to have the consent of the majority of the people in the area wanting to secede AND the majority of the entire entity they are trying to secede from. As was mentioned earlier, even if they succeed in their efforts they still will be on the hook for any bonds and other liabilities incurred while they were part of that former entity they broke away from.

In Los Angeles in the last decade or so there was a major push to break off the San Fernando Valley from the rest of the City of Los Angeles that caused a great stir. When it came down to an actual vote it was defeated quite handily by the residents of the entire city but passed by a very narrow margin in the San Fernando Valley itself. But since it needed majorities in both to succeed, it ultimately failed.

The most recent secession that has succeeded locally is in the last decade when all of Bernalillo County voters agreed to let the portion of Corrales inside the county break away and join with the rest of its village in Sandoval County. Some leaders in Corrales made a big hullabaloo over it like it wouldn't pass but it passed rather handily. So I think the people know what's involved and what's right when they vote on these things. That's why I think secessionist proposals for APS and Albuquerque itself will never pass. Just like the very recent efforts to incorporate the South Valley failed.

In the end it's a matter of what the people want not what the very inflammatory and vocal leaders have to say.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I can't read the whole article because I don't have a Journal subscription.
Go through the "Trial" portion and watch a 30 second ad... No obligation.... I tested it again (by not logging on) to see if it still works that way...

Rich

Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:

The article continues...

Rich
I read that article twice, and nowhere did it mention the West Side wanted to split from Albuquerque. I suspect that nobody was ever seriously considering that notion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque