Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 AM

241 posts, read 714,249 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering a move to ABQ and am looking for a house with a nice green yard with some trees. I have see a few on Zillow and am wondering what the following streets/areas are like in terms of walk-ability, safety, etc.

Royene Ave NE

Santa Clara SE

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,205,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Hi,

I am considering a move to ABQ and am looking for a house with a nice green yard with some trees. I have see a few on Zillow and am wondering what the following streets/areas are like in terms of walk-ability, safety, etc.

Royene Ave NE
Neighborhood is called Pill Hill. Very safe. As you can see from the satellite it's tract after tract of housing. Not particularly walkable, though the I-40 corridor does provide some excellent biking and walking trails. Plan on crossing the freeway to find shopping and eateries, or hiking up to and along San Mateo.

Quote:
Santa Clara SE
Perhaps more walkable, but not all that safe, or at least it's close to some not so safe places. The little enclave you're looking at may be perfectly fine, but for reasons I've never been able to figure out, that whole part of town (between the airport and the university) has been pretty rough and tumble for as long as I can remember.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
Maybe because I live closer to "less safe" areas (which is debatable), I think of Santa Clara (the area near Hyder Park) as a very safe and nice area, has beautiful (pricey) houses and is around the corner from the "Hyder Mansion" FWIW. It's convenient to Nob Hill and UNM. It is pretty similar in vintage to Royene, these are established neighborhoods with mature landscaping and decent parks with grass. South of Burton Park is a bit dicey. But this is common in much of ABQ, you find really nice areas and not-so-nice ones side by side.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Maybe because I live closer to "less safe" areas (which is debatable), I think of Santa Clara (the area near Hyder Park) as a very safe and nice area, has beautiful (pricey) houses and is around the corner from the "Hyder Mansion" FWIW. It's convenient to Nob Hill and UNM. It is pretty similar in vintage to Royene, these are established neighborhoods with mature landscaping and decent parks with grass. South of Burton Park is a bit dicey. But this is common in much of ABQ, you find really nice areas and not-so-nice ones side by side.
I really love houses with a nice yard (grass) and mature trees. These 2 areas are those where I've come across some houses for sale that look like what I would want in ABQ. I really can't see myself buying a place with a desert lot.

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Neighborhood is called Pill Hill. Very safe. As you can see from the satellite it's tract after tract of housing. Not particularly walkable, though the I-40 corridor does provide some excellent biking and walking trails. Plan on crossing the freeway to find shopping and eateries, or hiking up to and along San Mateo.
Isn't Pill Hill North of Central, East of I-40, West of University and South of Lomas? I could be wrong though.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,205,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Isn't Pill Hill North of Central, East of I-40, West of University and South of Lomas? I could be wrong though.
(assuming you meant E of I-25 as I-40 is basically an E-W freeway).

Have never heard that neighborhood referred to as anything besides Spruce Park, or perhaps Frat Row.

Pill Hill is where the doctors live, as the saying goes, and it's pretty much everything within a half-mile radius of the stopsign at Washington & Constitution NE. Some very expensive homes in that area, inconsistent with the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
Neighborhoods with grass and large trees in ABQ are a legacy of a bygone era when it was believed we had an unlimited supply of water. Newer developments usually are designed to conserve water as we've learned our water supply is dwindling. You may enjoy thirsty landscaping, but it is still a desert. A house with a "desert lot" (xeriscaping) using drought-tolerant plants can be very beautiful and seem very lush if properly designed.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
(assuming you meant E of I-25 as I-40 is basically an E-W freeway).

Have never heard that neighborhood referred to as anything besides Spruce Park, or perhaps Frat Row.

Pill Hill is where the doctors live, as the saying goes, and it's pretty much everything within a half-mile radius of the stopsign at Washington & Constitution NE. Some very expensive homes in that area, inconsistent with the surrounding neighborhoods.
Yes, I-25. I told you I could be wrong. Just thought up on the hill from Presbyterian there are some expensive homes also and figured that was it.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Neighborhoods with grass and large trees in ABQ are a legacy of a bygone era when it was believed we had an unlimited supply of water. Newer developments usually are designed to conserve water as we've learned our water supply is dwindling. You may enjoy thirsty landscaping, but it is still a desert. A house with a "desert lot" (xeriscaping) using drought-tolerant plants can be very beautiful and seem very lush if properly designed.
So is it unrealistic or irresponsible to think that these older lots can be maintained?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Any photos of these lush xeriscape yards/lots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque