Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,957,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wondered if it was the same Chipotle we have here--I guess so (been to one in NYC, it's OK, not a big fan of Mexican food anyway so I'm not one to judge).
Yes, it is the same you have there. There are over 1,000 of the "Chipotle Mexican Grill" chain restaurants in the United States (and some overseas) which produce burritos and tacos. The word "chipotle" is the Spanish name for a smoked, dried jalapeño chili pepper.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-30-2015 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 PM

995 posts, read 2,734,007 times
waited an hour & a half for a sack of 10 at PA's only whitecastle. I guess folks in these parts never had a murder burger.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,961,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But then what REALLY caught my eye in the post was the bolded above. I had no idea it got that cold in New Mexico. I would have thought "southwest, sun, hot all the time..."

Just looked up your weather, and while it's been warmer than usual here, you are about the same as NJ right now. Learn something new every day.
As a Philadelphia transplant I enjoy the fact that New Mexico often defies preconceptions, particularly east coast preconceptions.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM

1,568 posts, read 4,437,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The word "chipotle" is the Spanish name for a smoked, dried jalapeño chili pepper.
I buy chipotle chile powder at the Corrales growers' market and use it in various bbq rubs. It provides a tangy, somewhat exotic flavor.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-28-2011 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 PM

88,954 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Yes, it is the same you have there. There are over 1,000 of the "Chipotle Mexican Grill" chain restaurants in the United States (and some overseas) which produce burritos and tacos. The word "chipotle" is the Spanish name for a smoked, dried jalapeño chili pepper.

But if you ever get the opportunity to travel down through Mexico you will find a larger variety of Mexican food.

Rich
Thanks. I did know what "chipotle" meant. It's become very trendy and appears in everything over the past few years. Chipotle mayonnaise, chipotle this chipotle that.

I didn't realize the restaurant chain was so large.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM

88,954 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
As a Philadelphia transplant I enjoy the fact that New Mexico often defies preconceptions, particularly east coast preconceptions.
Sounds interesting! I can't say that I have many New Mexico preconceptions besides "one of those really big states out there in the southwest". And that it's geographically beautiful in that big-southwestern-state way.

I did look up Albuquerque after I first read this thread, though!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM

93 posts, read 240,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
sounds interesting! I can't say that i have many new mexico preconceptions besides "one of those really big states out there in the southwest". And that it's geographically beautiful in that big-southwestern-state way.

I did look up albuquerque after i first read this thread, though!

awesome!!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM

141 posts, read 223,677 times
I was wondering about that! I was driving down Menaul a couple days before Xmas and was wondering what that big 'ol line was about! There was Chipotle's in California where I lived but never once so a line like that! I figured that maybe it was because it was most people that work in the area's lunch hour or it's close proximity to Coronado Mall during Xmas shopping season. Other than that, I've never eaten there so I can't say whether their good or not.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM

265 posts, read 812,094 times
I think Chipotle's success is more about the business model than the menu - although they do emphasize "fresh" more than other fast-food joints. During their start-up years McDonald's was their majority owner, though now they're publicly held ... their IPO was red-hot back in 2006. The guy who started Chipotle's was in his 20s at the time, from Colorado.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, you can find more info in these articles:

The Next McDonald's is Chipotle Mexican Grill

Chipotle Mexican Grill: A Close Look

Old 12-31-2011, 06:40 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,009,910 times
Chipotle is very trendy at this time, esp. with the younger crowd. Part of it is the quality of the ingredients, but IMO it has more to do with the current trendiness. You'll find the same thing in many other parts of the country, lines clear out the door. Most of the people standing in line are young, I'd say in their late teens, or slightly older. Once those kids grow up or the next trendy food joint comes along, the lines will diminish.

Personally I like the food, but can't stomach the lines. On the other hand what I will not touch is their stock, which has gone from $40 to over $300 in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque