Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM

98 posts, read 216,100 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I are considering relocating from Pennsylvania in the next couple of years. Typical City Data stuff...

We've spent some time in Albuquerque but are looking for some insight into nearby areas that would best suit us. We would like to spend more time in some surrounding towns over the next year or so. Let me tell you a bit about us/what we are looking for as well as some of the areas that interest us.

We are late 30's:
-both teachers
-likely both working in albuqueque
-into running and cycling
-vegetarian
-foster animals / animal rescue
-no kids
-generally pretty quiet, friendly, and laid back.

Looking for:
-1500-2000 sq ft.
-an acre or so (give or take some...)
-30-45 minute max commute
-peace and quiet
-schools aren't that important, but at the same time we want to live somewhere that keeps families because they feel good about the schools
-budget is probably in the 275 area.

The areas we are interested: Corrales, Placitas, Cedar Crest, Tijeras, Sandia Park, Los Lunas, maybe Edgewood?

We are somewhat torn about the East Mountain areas as we don't mind the snow/cold, but we'd both be working in albuquerque and aren't sure how significant of a problem the weather would be for commuting in the winter.

Do any of those areas sound like good fits? Would we stick out like sore thumbs in any of these areas as two animal loving professionals? Any places you think we should be checking out?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,065,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egolise View Post
The areas we are interested: Corrales, Placitas, Cedar Crest, Tijeras, Sandia Park, Los Lunas, maybe Edgewood?

We are somewhat torn about the East Mountain areas as we don't mind the snow/cold, but we'd both be working in albuquerque and aren't sure how significant of a problem the weather would be for commuting in the winter.

Do any of those areas sound like good fits? Would we stick out like sore thumbs in any of these areas as two animal loving professionals? Any places you think we should be checking out?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
None of those areas are you going to stick out like a sore thumb. Lots and lots of animal loving people in those areas. Everything from animal loving hippies to animal loving professionals. NM is a live and let live type of place. As for the places you listed the most expensive are going to be Corrales and Placitas. Might be hard to find something in that price range with an acre. You can find something but it probably will need some work. The east mountain locations you will have to deal with the snow coming into Albuquerque in the winter. Several times a year the canyon will close and that may be a problem for you since you are teachers.

I really like Los Lunas. Matter of fact I will be moving there within the next couple of years. I already own some land that I will upon but it takes time. Lots of amenities close by and an easy drive to Albuquerque. I like the valley floor with the big cottonwood trees and agriculture all around.

Other places to consider are Bernalillo, Peralta, and Bosque Farms. Bernalillo is on the valley floor just west of Placitas. Peralta and Bosque Farms are on the East side of the Rio Grande from Los Lunas.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks for thye suggestions NMHacker. Any idea what a commute from Los Lunas area into central Albuquerque looks like during peak times?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,309,411 times
The commute to the Big I from LL (east or west of the Rio Grande) is 30 min at rush hr.

I recommend you check out offerings in El Cerro Loop (uses a Los Lunas mailing address, but is actually not in LL proper). Barryhill Farms comes to mind.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for thye suggestions NMHacker. Any idea what a commute from Los Lunas area into central Albuquerque looks like during peak times?
Los Lunas is fairly good size as it has a lot of agriculture land. It is going to depend on where you live in Los Lunas. A couple of days a week I take my son to Belen, which is 10 miles south of Los Lunas. I have timed from the Los Lunas off ramp to the Lead/Coal off ramp where I get off for work @ 7:30-8:00am at 22 minutes average. If you live near the Rio Grande add 10+/- minutes.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
N8!

Takes 35 min to Coal from north El Cerro Loop and Hwy 47.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions N8!

Anyone have thoughts on Alamagordo?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,190,705 times
Quote:

Alamogordo is about 4 hours away; definitely not in the metro area.

It's not significantly cheaper to live there. Perhaps not cheaper at all.

Weather's pretty similar; milder winters, hotter summers, windier and dustier at times.

Recommend more visiting.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 AM
N8!

Quote:

It's just my opinion, but Alamagordo always reminds me of a giant truck stop whenever I'm down there.

But then I'm not a resident, only visiting.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Alamagordo area has some good pistachios!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque