Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^Yeah, Albuquerque and San Diego are very different - obvious geographical differences aside. For one, there is considerably more wealth in the San Diego area, also more traffic, much more expensive etc. San Diego is probably my favorite city in California, though.

But, it sounds like the OP has been to ABQ? Or are you in love with the city because of internet research?

I personally think ABQ is pretty fantastic - there's a lot to love, as well as some things to really dislike, but that keeps it interesting. It's not a shiny happy burgh, which is sometimes the vibe I get from San Diego, but a down-to-earth sometimes-ugly-sometimes-spectacularly-beautiful place.

As far as housing, anywhere is going to be cheap, esp compared to either New Jersey or San Diego. ABQ isn't all that segregated, so many areas will have a decent demographic and economic mix. Safe? I would say given your experiences that you aren't the overly paranoid type, so I'd say you'll be fine. ABQ does have a fair amount of property crime, so keep an eye on things.

I personally like the older areas of town (loads of character) and would look around UNM, downtown, old town, and perhaps the North Valley.

Good luck!
True, there are no La Jolla's, Del Mar, Solana Beach or Rancho Santa Fe's to be had around ABQ. I will say, however, that homes in the NE Heights around La Cueva do tend become rather pricey, many north of 400, 500k. Living in the good school districts in ABQ comes with a huge price per square foot increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
True, there are no La Jolla's, Del Mar, Solana Beach or Rancho Santa Fe's to be had around ABQ. I will say, however, that homes in the NE Heights around La Cueva do tend become rather pricey, many north of 400, 500k. Living in the good school districts in ABQ comes with a huge price per square foot increase.
It depends on what you enjoy more. I was raised in SoCal. The beach does nothing for me. I lived less than 15 miles from the beach for quite awhile. I went probably 3 times a year. I visit the mountains at least once a month and hike the volcanoes at least 15 times a year.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
It depends on what you enjoy more. I was raised in SoCal. The beach does nothing for me. I lived less than 15 miles from the beach for quite awhile. I went probably 3 times a year. I visit the mountains at least once a month and hike the volcanoes at least 15 times a year.
As a New Jerseyan, I too went to the beach a few times every two or three years, but you had to pay! Yes, NJ is the only place in the free world, it seems, where you are charged for beach access.

Anyways, after being introduced to California beaches on the Pacific Ocean, those beaches did a hell of a lot to inspire. Totally superior in every way. But I do relate to what you say about how often a person might access a beach living proximate to the coast.

There is something undeniably magical about the Sandias, or for that matter, the Organs.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,749,287 times
There is not 100% true. Not all beaches have charges. Wildwood doesn't, neither do the smaller ones like Fortescue.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
There is not 100% true. Not all beaches have charges. Wildwood doesn't, neither do the smaller ones like Fortescue.
There are a select few that don't. Wildwood is free, Atlantic City is free, and there are, I think, two others.

Fortescue is essentially the Delaware Bay, and not what I would call a Jersey Shore beach. But it is very, very quirky, almost feels like Maryland Eastern Shore.

Never thought I would see the name "Fortescue" typed in a New Mexico fourm!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:40 PM

888 posts, read 1,189,282 times
I met my wife on the Jersey Shore (Long Branch, NJ) in 1971.
She absolutely adored the beach and while enjoying NM greatly, does miss it.
Later on, we lived within a few miles of the Appalachian Trail in Maryland, so I greatly enjoyed hiking it with my two dogs.
When we both want our....'Green Fix', we drive up to the Pecos Wilderness Area.
About a 40 minute drive from our house SE of Santa Fe.

Steve

Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Ooooops........................................... .................

Our house is located SE of Santa Fe, that is.

Steve

Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Ooooops........................................... .................

Our house is located SE of Santa Fe, that is.

Steve
That would mean in proximity to Bobcat Bite!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Yessiree.......................................... ......................

I can be in Bobcat Bites in 5 minutes driving time.
Even so, once the summer tourist season starts, then it's 'take-out' only.

Steve

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,749,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Never thought I would see the name "Fortescue" typed in a New Mexico fourm!
I used to spend my late summers/early fall fishing there. I caught my first Sea Bass there, it is also where I saw sea turtles and horseshoe crabs for the first time. Good memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque