Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM

5,071 posts, read 7,496,873 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I don't know why you would need to switch hotels. You can easily visit Rio Rancho from Uptown in Albuquerque if you have a car.

I can't remember if anyone mentioned the Sandia Peak Tramway. I would definitely consider a ride up to the top of the mountain while you're here, if it is not too cloudy or windy. If you visit Old Town ABQ, you can get New Mexican food at the Church Street Cafe. Downtown try the Slate Street Cafe for more contemporary food.

On the way to Rio Rancho you can drive through the village of Corrales, and eat in the patio of Village Pizza, or at Indigo Crow. Just about any restaurant has vegetarian options so you don't need to worry about where to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:12 PM

64 posts, read 131,694 times
With regards to what type of thread I started, my personal situation is that I want to move to ABQ this summer and have never visited. I've booked a trip for 4 days so I can get a feel of what it would be like to live there. (as much as you can in 4 days!) I lived in Las Vegas for over 10 years and would return there if the job situation was better. I love the desert and dry climate - I'm in Florida now and hate it here.

So the purpose of my trip is to see if ABQ is how I imagine it to be. I want to stay in two parts of the general area to get a bit of diversity so I'm staying 2 nights in Uptown and 2 in Rio Rancho. I've rented a car so I'll be able to go all over the place. For a few days I'll be able to discover what type of grocery stores an area has, what the views are (very important to me,) whether I can go out walking by myself and feel safe, the vibe of the area, the types of things I could do in my free time, what traffic is like and how commutes to different areas would be - just daily living.

When I first posted this I was going to stay in downtown but one poster changed my mind and I'm going to stay in Uptown at the Sheraton instead and I'm really grateful for that! I have some great recommendations for vegatarian food and I've learned about places like Jemez Springs (thanks lobo!) So this has been great for me - I've taken lots of notes and I'll be able to hit the ground running when I arrive! The only thing I'd still really like to know is where I can get really good Huevos Rancheros for breakfast! Thanks everyone

Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,077,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightongirl View Post
The only thing I'd still really like to know is where I can get really good Huevos Rancheros for breakfast! Thanks everyone
Barela's Coffee House. Get the Deluxe.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM

192 posts, read 258,607 times
Just noticed we are both going to be in the ABQ area at the same time.
If you and your friend are looking for a hiking companion on the weekend let me know. I don't live in ABQ yet......but I know of some pretty cool hiking areas.
I also know of a great place for huevos rancheros on the west side called "Hannah and Nates". It will be my first stop when my plane lands on the 20th. Can't wait

Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,478,624 times
Huevos Rancheros? Almost anywhere :-) It's like asking where you can get pancakes in Illinois.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
Just noticed we are both going to be in the ABQ area at the same time.
If you and your friend are looking for a hiking companion on the weekend let me know. I don't live in ABQ yet......but I know of some pretty cool hiking areas.
I also know of a great place for huevos rancheros on the west side called "Hannah and Nates". It will be my first stop when my plane lands on the 20th. Can't wait
Which H&N? I like both but enjoy taking the short drive to the one in Corrales.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM

5,071 posts, read 7,496,873 times
FWIW, unless you have a compelling reason to live in Rio Rancho I wouldn't waste time there except maybe to drive through once if you are curious. It is popular with retirees (although my parents didn't care for it at all when they looked there), or families with kids, or if you have a job there. There is not much going on there compared to Albuquerque. Even my elderly parents wanted to be closer to some life. If you are thinking "safer" well, it is that, but it's because there's not much happening, good or bad. Some prefer that.

It will be hard to get an idea of daily life while staying at a hotel/motel.

To go on a basic, scenic and easy hike, check out the Elena Gallegos Open Space. It is $1 to get in on weekdays, $2 on weekends. Turn east off Tramway Blvd just north of Academy Rd. Get a trail map at the entrance and then just go wandering, it is beautiful!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,904,153 times
I have to agree with aries63. Though, I don't live anywhere in the southwest, through research it seems like Rio Rancho is the Henderson to Las Vegas. When I'm old and falling apart, I'd like to retire to Henderson. Seems like Rio Rancho is the New Mexico version of what Henderson is to Nevada.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with that analogy.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I have to agree with aries63. Though, I don't live anywhere in the southwest, through research it seems like Rio Rancho is the Henderson to Las Vegas. When I'm old and falling apart, I'd like to retire to Henderson. Seems like Rio Rancho is the New Mexico version of what Henderson is to Nevada.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with that analogy.
I disagree with the statement of 'there is not much happening'. There are plenty of events and activities to do in RR. It is also very close proximity to the NW side of Abq, Corrales and Bernalillo that opens a lot of other opportunities. Of course it is not as populated with all the amenities of Abq but to say that a city of nearly 90k people that there is not much happening is being a little cynical.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

192 posts, read 258,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Which H&N? I like both but enjoy taking the short drive to the one in Corrales.
The one in Montano plaza. After my first trip to ABQ I stumbled upon their location and after many attempts, and many, many eateries, that has been the best food I have tasted in ABQ. The carne adovada was the best breakfast I have ever had...and that is saying alot since I grew up in NY.
I will definitely try the Corrales location when I relocate, but for now, why break what is not broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque