Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM

64 posts, read 131,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
FWIW, unless you have a compelling reason to live in Rio Rancho I wouldn't waste time there except maybe to drive through once if you are curious. It is popular with retirees (although my parents didn't care for it at all when they looked there), or families with kids, or if you have a job there. There is not much going on there compared to Albuquerque. Even my elderly parents wanted to be closer to some life. If you are thinking "safer" well, it is that, but it's because there's not much happening, good or bad. Some prefer that.

It will be hard to get an idea of daily life while staying at a hotel/motel.

To go on a basic, scenic and easy hike, check out the Elena Gallegos Open Space. It is $1 to get in on weekdays, $2 on weekends. Turn east off Tramway Blvd just north of Academy Rd. Get a trail map at the entrance and then just go wandering, it is beautiful!
I want to be in 2 areas and use them as bases. I really want to explore Corrales and visit a few areas over that side so I picked a cheap hotel in RR. Of course I can't get a full depiction of daily life in such a short time frame but this works for the way I operate! Thanks for the suggestion of Elena Gallegos Open space - I'll check that out too.

h0tmess - I get your analogy! Henderson, IMHO is very slow and not really close to much other than the gateway to Lake Mead & Hoover Dam .. before the freeway was expanded radically you had to take boulder Hwy! It was my introduction to the U.S. when I moved from England in 1986. Later on I lived in various parts of Vegas and the Green Valley area and much prefered that. From what I've read on this board, Rio Rancho would equate to Henderson.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,957,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Though, I don't live anywhere in the southwest, through research it seems like Rio Rancho is the Henderson to Las Vegas. When I'm old and falling apart, I'd like to retire to Henderson. Seems like Rio Rancho is the New Mexico version of what Henderson is to Nevada.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with that analogy.
I do not agree, however, I really don't know your intentions. And then I guess you could incorrectly say Albuquerque is like Las Vegas, NV... My part-time business partners of 20+ years live in Henderson. I've been to both areas many times.

I guess when we are "old and falling apart" then being in a climate controlled room in Rio Rancho or Henderson would be no different.

We have a home in Rio Rancho, Albuquerque and Florida for some specific reasons, which most likely might be different than what you are looking for.

Without going through each specific verifiable item, the climate, high and low temperatures, altitudes, geology, cost of living etc they are different.

But I have seen people who come out, hate it, and leave...

But then perhaps Henderson has more to offer, maybe that's why they have 175,381 people, 66,331 households, and 47,095 families residing in the city versus 51,765 people, 18,995 households, and 14,113 families in Rio Rancho...

REFERENCES YOU MIGHT LOOK AT:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Henderson-Nevada.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Rio-Ra...ew-Mexico.html

Henderson, Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rio Rancho, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good luck to you in your endeavors! You really need to at least visit.

Rich

Since City-data is primarily a relocation site, we can not allow some competing sites to be listed. Use a search engine, like perhaps Google.com

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-13-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM

5,071 posts, read 7,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
I disagree with the statement of 'there is not much happening'. There are plenty of events and activities to do in RR. It is also very close proximity to the NW side of Abq, Corrales and Bernalillo that opens a lot of other opportunities. Of course it is not as populated with all the amenities of Abq but to say that a city of nearly 90k people that there is not much happening is being a little cynical.
I don't think it's being cynical. I'm just comparing the two cities. But I know I'm biased by living in ABQ. I never have to go to Rio Rancho for anything, whether it's recreation, entertainment, food, shopping, you name it. I haven't been there for years and I have no reason to go (Rio Rancho folks are thinking "Thank God.") But I wonder how many Rio Rancho folks can say that about Albuquerque. I'm sure there are many who seldom if ever come to Albuquerque, they have all their needs met in RR, but I think a lot of them are over here all the time for one reason or another because ABQ has more to offer.

To the OP, that's fine that you have your mind made up an all, but just the idea of someone coming to visit for four nights and spending two nights in ABQ and two in RR seems bizarre to me, I've never heard of such a thing. It would be like spending two nights in Phoenix and two nights in Mesa, only it makes even less sense to me. There will be areas of ABQ you'll be missing while you're frittering away your time in Rio Rancho. But, whatever. You know best.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,077,224 times
Quote:
I don't think it's being cynical. I'm just comparing the two cities. But I know I'm biased by living in ABQ. I never have to go to Rio Rancho for anything, whether it's recreation, entertainment, food, shopping, you name it. I haven't been there for years and I have no reason to go (Rio Rancho folks are thinking "Thank God.") But I wonder how many Rio Rancho folks can say that about Albuquerque. I'm sure there are many who seldom if ever come to Albuquerque, they have all their needs met in RR, but I think a lot of them are over here all the time for one reason or another because ABQ has more to offer.
We'll I live in Albuquerque and go there all the time. It is a function of the proximity of where you live. Currently I live in Paradise Hills. When I lived in Downtown and Nob Hill I never went to Rio Rancho. Now that I live in Paradise Hills I go quite often. Whether it is to eat at a place like Turtle Mountain, Play golf at Chamisa Hills or Santa Ana (Not really in RR), attend the Pork and Brew, see a movie at the new theaters and many other things. Now what you state, of course applies to Bernalillo, Placitas, Algodones, Edgewood, Cedar Crest, Tijeras, Los Lunas, Bosque Farms, Peralta, Tome, Belen and any other smaller communities in the 'metro' area. It is not just a phenomenon of Rio Rancho.

Conversely I very rarely visit anything in the NE Heights. I do visit Nob Hill area some since I do work in Downtown. And if it were not for family I probably would never visit the South Valley.

Once I make the move to Los Lunas I am sure that the places I visit most will change. Of course Los Lunas will not have as many activities as Abq or Rio Rancho but as adults we make choices on where we want to live, how we live and what we need in activities. Being within walking distance to a Latte Shop or a Adult Self Serve Sex shop is not something I really care about. I do care about small tight nit communities, open spaces, good neighbors, less crime, more space, more real estate land bang for the buck and a few other things.

Being that I was raised in Los Angeles I know what having every stinking thing in the universe available to me is like. Most I just don't care about at 39 years of age. Smaller town living is more suited for me as well as lots of other people.

Good on the OP to explore two different types of communities so that she can figure out what will make HER happy.

Last edited by NMHacker; 04-13-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Being within walking distance to a Latte Shop or a Adult Self Serve Sex shop is not something I really care about. I do care about small tight nit communities, open spaces, good neighbors, less crime, more space, more real estate land bang for the buck and a few other things.
Now who's being cynical? I don't care and do care about mostly the same things, and I live in a tight-knit community with good neighbors in Fringecrest. But the "real estate bang" comes at a price, you have to drive everywhere to do everything, and I find that highly stressful. I enjoy living where my car stays in the garage most days of the week because I can bike to work, Nob Hill and UNM, can do light grocery shopping on the way home, and live in a neighborhood with mature trees and low traffic despite being close to all the conveniences. That's more important to my quality of life than an extra bedroom that I don't need. Your mileage obviously varies. If I had a kid like you I might feel as you do.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,077,224 times
Quote:
Now who's being cynical? I don't care and do care about mostly the same things, and I live in a tight-knit community with good neighbors in Fringecrest. But the "real estate bang" comes at a price, you have to drive everywhere to do everything, and I find that highly stressful. I enjoy living where my car stays in the garage most days of the week because I can bike to work, Nob Hill and UNM, can do light grocery shopping on the way home, and live in a neighborhood with mature trees and low traffic despite being close to all the conveniences. That's more important to my quality of life than an extra bedroom that I don't need. Your mileage obviously varies. If I had a kid like you I might feel as you do.
See, we are getting somewhere.

The land I bought in Los Lunas is less than 2 miles from a big box hardware store, grocery store, convenience drug store, latte shop, bunch of local business, gym, movie theater, restaurants and other things. Not obviously the choices I would get in Albuquerque but all the amenities I need. It sits on two acres with giant cottonwood trees and other assorted fruit trees. The house we will be building isn't any larger than what we have now. Different configuration with different architecture. Much more conducive to what we need for working from of our home.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Now what you state, of course applies to Bernalillo, Placitas, Algodones, Edgewood, Cedar Crest, Tijeras, Los Lunas, Bosque Farms, Peralta, Tome, Belen and any other smaller communities in the 'metro' area. It is not just a phenomenon of Rio Rancho.
And I agree, so I would ask the OP why she chose Rio Rancho for her overnights instead of any of these other communities. Is it a random choice? A throw of the dice?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Holy cow! Firstly, in order to understand why, you need accept that everyone has a unique way of approaching things. When I started to consider Albuquerque I immediately began to look at real estate because I didn't want to choose somewhere I wouldn't be able to afford property. My search went off on a tangent because I wanted to find properties on the outskirts so that I could enjoy desert views. I came across a house, MLS 201104492 which happened to be in 87144 zip code. Please look it up. I loved its location, price and style. (Turned out to be a model home in a failed development - only 4 model homes were built.) But I continued to look in the 87144 zip code which happened to be Rio Rancho. Although I came to realize I would be unlikely to buy property in RR, in the process I had discovered it was a safe location.

I know absolutely nothing about Albuquerque other than the economic data and general physical attributes. Maybe I'm wierd and quirky but when I planned the trip I wanted to be in 2 areas - pure and simple. When you drive to and from a place you take different roads, come across different sights, foods and drive through other neighborhoods .. on and on. So yes, RR is a random choice. Midtown is also a random choice. But they have distance between them and I found inexpensive hotel rooms.

I can't explain it any other way so please accept it - it makes sense to me and thankfully for you, you won't have to be with me!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,957,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightongirl View Post
My search went off on a tangent because I wanted to find properties on the outskirts so that I could enjoy desert views. I came across a house, MLS 201104492 which happened to be in 87144 zip code. Please look it up. I loved its location, price and style. (Turned out to be a model home in a failed development - only 4 model homes were built.) But I continued to look in the 87144 zip code which happened to be Rio Rancho.
That is Mariposa, is a master-planned community in Rio Rancho. It is large, over 6,000 acres and the primary developer is "High Desert Investment Corporation". Their websites are at: Mariposa, a master-planned community in Rio Rancho, New Mexico and Mariposa Community Association - Home Page My wife and I spent several hours driving around the area last year. I am not against Homeowner Associations (HOA's) and corporation governed communities, but some can get expensive. Interesting but not what we would be interested in...

The community is not failed, perhaps some of the builders could not work it out.

Reminds me a little bit like the residential part of Mesa Del Sol in Albuquerque: Overview

Good luck to you!

Rich

Old 04-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks Rich, very interesting info. I had no idea it was part of a huge master-planned community. I'm going to drive up there when I visit next week. If the community center opens (I assume it's not now?) it would be nice. I'll keep an eye on it because I really love the homes. I don't mind HOA's if you get something for your money and they don't have stupid rules like no trucks allowed. We have a place in Florida with an HOA and pay $350/month for just basics and landscaping - no pool, no communuty center .. absolutely nothing!

Enjoy your 2 acre lot! I'm very envious of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque