Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:43 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,479,678 times

Advertisements

You're welcome.
Please report back after your trip and let us know what you saw, what you liked best, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 12:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustosis View Post
The internet is full of so many options , I'm looking for a personal opinion.

I'd like to know the best scenic route from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon and from there to Monument Valley.

I don't care about museums or galleries on this trip, I want the best view out of my car window and cool places to stop on this route, and it doesn't necessarily have to be the quickest route.
I have driven to the Grand Canyon four times. The South Rim three times, and the last time was the North Rim in 1984. I have also overflown the area in private aircraft. The Grand Canyon is not to be ignored, but there are a lot of things to see on the way, and the Grand Canyon is large.

I've looked at rwjoyak's trip plan, looks good to me. I may borrow that with credit given...

I did not see Bryce Canyon National Park mentioned which was a place on my list to return to from our 1984 trip, followed by Zion National Park.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:08 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,479,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I did not see Bryce Canyon National Park mentioned which was a place on my list to return to from our 1984 trip, followed by Zion National Park.
There's definitely more in Utah to see, it's all a question of how far/long you want to detour off of heading from ABQ to the GC. Bryce and Zion are great, but there's also Capitol Reef, Canyonlands and Arches. Figured I wouldn't take the OP that far afield, but I agree those are also not to be missed if you have the time.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Default ABQ to williams Az.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest getting the Benchmark Maps Arizona and New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlases. These have larger scale maps with much greater detail as well as extensive lists of Recreation and Historical places. GTR Publishing also has very useful maps.
Does anyone know abt the Amtrak train from Abq to Williams Az. to take the little train ride up to the Grand Canyon ??

Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 AM
bzm

1 posts, read 549 times
thank you rwjoyak, I will be using your guide, taking the kids on a road trip to the grand canyon from Albuquerque NM.
love your planning, made my life so much easier thank you once again!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque