Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,805,593 times

Advertisements

How do people cope with these? Do you stay inside and avoid driving?

They seem to be worse in the south, but do they affect Albuquerque much? I have a HEPA air cleaner that I am trying to sell, but maybe I should keep it. I have allergies and a sensitivity to dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,282,414 times
If you have dust sensitivity, spring time is going to be hard to cope with.

It rarely gets so bad that you can't drive, usually it's just a heavy haze everywhere on windy days. I've seen a few in front of summer thunderstorms where visibility goes to zero - windy day visibility rarely gets below a mile (at least I've never seen it).

Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM

How long does the dust stay in the air? I imagine it settles down after a rain. The dust doesn't stay in the air for weeks, right?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Worst time will be in the spring when there's several days of wind and no rain to speak of. It doesn't really hang in the air for long after the wind drops, but it's nothing like the north east where you just don't get much dust. In the summer we can get rain every day, but the rest of the year we can go weeks without any.

Seems like after a week or so our house needs dusting in the spring. We have no central forced air climate control stirring it up (also good for filtering it if you keep on top of filters). The rest of the year it's more like a couple weeks until the house is getting dusty.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM

I suppose it's all manageable if you know what to expect and have a system in place to deal with it. At least it's not threatening like a hurricane that could blow, blow your house down (we get those).

Per your advice, I removed my Craigslist ad for the HEPA air filtration unit and will hang onto that.

Stupid question: is dust in the air bad for car engines? I imagine cars would draw dust inside as part of the exhaust.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,645,206 times
Dust storms? We have dust storms?

Sorry, someone says "dust storm" and I think of what PHX and SoCal deserts get.

I have air filters in all my rooms, based on room size, and they really do help for the dusty air here. Especially in the summer with the swamp coolers and no filtration to speak of.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM

963 posts, read 2,307,145 times
I have seen some windy days in the spring but haven't seen a dust storm yet. Having lived in Phoenix, I've seen a real dust storm when a mile high cloud literally covers you with near zero visibility. That is pretty exciting stuff!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I suppose it's all manageable if you know what to expect and have a system in place to deal with it. At least it's not threatening like a hurricane that could blow, blow your house down (we get those).

Per your advice, I removed my Craigslist ad for the HEPA air filtration unit and will hang onto that.
You can always sell the air filter later if you find you aren't using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Stupid question: is dust in the air bad for car engines? I imagine cars would draw dust inside as part of the exhaust.
At the levels we get, the car's intake air filter takes care of it. Just get your air filter changed every year.

As others have said, you don't see dust storms here in the sense you get them around Phoenix, it's more just days of prolonged wind moving dust around. I've driven through a couple Phoenix style storms on I-10, zero visibility, super high wind, both were associated with monsoon thunderstorms.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,925,385 times
Dust storms, high winds hit Albuquerque | Albuquerque Journal News

Dust storms, high winds hit Albuquerque
Journal Staff

Apr 13, 2014 - ALBUQUERQUE, N.M

High winds are expected throughout much of New Mexico today, and forecast to reach about 25 mph in Albuquerque.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..

Gusts of wind up to 55 mph are blowing up dust across the city, prompting city and National Weather Service officials to caution residents to stay out of the weather.

You might read: Windy Weather, Wind in ABQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Yes, it was windy today. My 88 second video:

YouTube - Sandstorm_3Mbs.wmv

Rich

Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,645,206 times
I'm guessing you don't live here yet? If that's true, my best advice is to be sure and rent or buy a place with regular air conditioning (refrigerated air). The swamp coolers are he!! on allergies - they don't filter like an A/C unit does so you don't really get to escape the pollen/dust. It also helps to run HEPA air filters, but be sure to get the right size for the rooms. I have two small units in each bedroom, and a very large Honeywell unit in my main area (LR/DR combo with kitchen on one end). That's made a big difference in the air quality inside, still gets dusty everywhere but not as quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque