Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:28 PM

9 posts, read 17,901 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find employment in Albuquerque for 2 months now.
Our savings is getting to a scary level and something has to give.

I don't know what to do any more. If anyone has any advise, Haha, or connections I'd so SO greatly appreciate it. My portfolio is at elisecalvillo.com, but this is more of a pitty party on my part.

I'm an award winning graphic designer, with 10 years experience. Frankly, I've never had to "Apply" for a job, my reputation has taken me thus far. I'm completely ignorant here. I've put in for over 60 positions both in my field and general office work, and have caught only 2 interviews and was passed up by each. One was only part time and I wasn't good enough!

We live in Gallup, my husband is from Albuquerque and has employment lined up now, his new employer expressed that he was uncomfortable hiring someone from Gallup, I guess a lot of people have "big dreams" but don't actually move? I suspect this might be part of my trouble getting a return call. That or, having lived in Gallup and finding it utterly detestable - I'm afraid employers might think I'm OF Gallup rather than a temporary resident.

I don't know if I priced myself out, I don't think I'm asking that much. I've been very clear that I am open to negotiation and am not set on making what I did here in Gallup. I was at 39,000 salary. But for an hourly position I wouldn't expect that much, I worked 50+ hours as a salary employee. Less work, less pay - that's completely expected.

I was told I'm over qualified, all I hear is "well qualified" haha. Why would I mind if not all of my skills are used? I've made a hobby of science and that's never been used. I mean, if I applied then I'm clearly ok with it being easier work. If my resume suggests one thing, it's that I'm loyal. I was $15 an hour for 6 years. I don't know how to communicate this in a letter of interest without sounding just as awkward about it as I do here.

I don't think desperation gets you hired does it? Confidence sure isn't working lol.

I know graphic degrees have been pushed as the new hot thing, and there are 1000 kids running around that now know how to push the buttons, and work for cheap. I don't want to rant about how a graphics degree does not make a marketing machine, or how fresh designers just want to re-brand and make t-shirts. It would be lovely if I could stay in my field, but I would be happier with a job! I almost wonder if "Graphic Designer" is a punchline these days.

I'm such a computer nerd it's not even funny. Graphics isn't my limit it's just the area I followed. I'd be a secretary on steroids! Corporate facebooks, website development, building databases. I don't mind starting from the bottom, because I know how much I do have to offer, how fast I work, and that I can prove my worth quickly with our without graphics.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
My wife and I are retired. She recommends applying for anything you qualify for here: https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?Keywo...eSelected=true

Or state jobs: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/newmexico/default.cfm

Old 10-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Thank you! Any resource helps. I've mostly used the papers, college and city job databases.

After posting I got a call on another interview too! Maybe I just needed to jostle the universe a little haha.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:46 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Here is a list of county jobs. If you can type pretty well and have some previous phone or data entry experience, they have a 911 communications position open. They have some other positions in other departments as well. Good luck to you. Hope you get that job you recently applied for.

List of All Jobs-Bernalillo County, New Mexico

For other positions try this link, it should list most or all jobs in the area.
Jobs, Employment in Albuquerque, NM | Indeed.com

Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise_Calvillo View Post
Thank you! Any resource helps. I've mostly used the papers, college and city job databases.
That is limiting your search. I've had 3 jobs in Albuquerque since 1996. Those 3 jobs were/are as an System Analyst/Programmer for HCM systems for some of Albuquerque's largest employers. In my experience many professional employers don't typically post jobs in papers, university sites or city job databases. They post on their own site or job/career specific sites such as dice.com, ieee.com, etc...etc. For more general jobs they may post on job sites such as indeed.com, monster...etc...etc Some see newspapers and other general listings as a shotgun approach which brings in hundreds of resumes. Most of which are not qualified for said position. That takes precious time to weed through them.

My advice would be to hit as many company direct websites, career specific sites and add those to your normal rotation.

Here is a list of NM's largest employers along with their websites. Hit each one of them and go to their career pages.

http://nmnetlinks.com/cms/kunde/rts/...xls_upload.htm

Remember, treat finding a job as a job itself. Make yourself get up at an early time and hit the road/internet.

Good Luck.

Edit: UNM and Colliers is looking for graphic designers right now. Graphic Design Jobs, Employment in Albuquerque, NM | Indeed.com

Old 10-02-2014, 04:53 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
I wouldn't suggest you're going through the same situation, but I changed careers in my late 30's and it was a rude shock to have to start at a salary that was a fraction of the job I'd left to go back to school and make myself more valuable. My ego didn't like it one bit but I didn't have a choice so I went to work. It took me all of 3 years to surpass my old salary and it has been routinely upward after that.

I know you situation doesn't involve school or changing careers but I think the most important lesson I learned, that you might relate to, is that barring the connection you'll have to get your feet in the door somewhere. Then you can shine and it won't be long before you're back in good shape.

I really don't mean to patronizing, sorry if I am so. Good luck

Old 10-02-2014, 05:38 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Elise, I agree, use Monster, indeed.com and simply hired. Key those in and punch away and you'll find some openings. I have a Graphic Arts/Printing diploma from Seattle and it helped me get in at Boeing as a Tech.Illustrator. Boeing let me go in 2003 and I'm a Respiratory Therapist/Sleep Tech. right now. I am always looking elsewhere for work even though I'm employed fulltime right now.

Don't give up and don't quit trying. You'll find one!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
Check your email here on the site, I sent you some names.

Also, a lot of people lurk here and some even check for public profiles. If you have a website showcasing your designs, please consider adding it to your profile. Just a thought

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 PM

Thank you guys for these awesome resources I really will utilize all that you've suggested! I've visited all of the print media and print shop web pages I could find, but that list of big companies is a huge resource. I found it odd that I've gotten so little reply from newspaper - my background is mostly newspaper advertising and even I underestimated it's response I guess.

I do have side clients, but freelancers are always struggling and I hope to not have to go to that level.

TKO - I've never had to try this hard for a job! I've absolutely thought to go back to school and try something else all together. I've made a hobby of science just as I've made a hobby of graphics and I'm seriously considering engineering - solar or chemical. I've just followed graphics/marketing because it's been the path of least resistance for me and I've kept advancing at a reasonable pace. I don't ever want to go through this again!

Yukon, I got that and was about to reply, thank you so much for that. I do have a portfolio its elisecalvillo.com. I'll look into those companies.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 PM

Funny story:
I was actually offered a job on Monday.
I sat in the burger king as my husband signed his new hire intake forms next door. I had my laptop out and was looking for new postings.
This old man was chit chatting with strangers, pushing a wheelchair and offering mini kit kats to people. I'm nice but tried to avoid engaging conversation. He eventually forced me by sitting one booth over, facing me. I'm not rude enough to outright ignore someone when they address me directly, and he did. He told me his wife died a few years back, and how he hurt his back in korea. Really touching story and I decided he was just a lonely old man, so I talked a while.
He asked what I was doing and I told him, job hunting.
He chirped up saying he needs a new manager for his barber shop. I'm about open to anything and he offered a reasonable pay. I know I'm organized enough, and smart enough to pick up anything quickly so I heard him out.
Boy he told me EVERYTHING about this business! From how many chairs there are, the personalities of the staff, the meaning behind his decor choice. He told me prices and the products they sell. Dress code, and even detailed descriptions of how the accounting software was managed. He praised me knowing I'm the kind of person who would do a good job. He told me about how his last manager worked there 8 years until she stole from a gambling habit. He talked so long that I wanted to do a good job for him, and prove not all people are crooked like that. We talked websites and facebook.
Seriously everything about this business was discussed. I practically had orientation.
I gave him my resume so he could have his sister contact me, my husband even offered to drive him back to the physical rehab center down the road where he was getting treatment because it was raining.

He talked so knowingly about this place that the only reason I had to question if this was fake, was that it happened in a burger king (which is more than enough right? haha)

We drove home saying "we'll see"
Of course the call never came, the next morning I even called "Foothills barber shop" and the owner is not a Craig, and they'd never heard of his sister Moncia either.

I guess I'll never learn "which stylists are faster so I'll figure out which ones to schedule tighter appointments for." Nor will I ever be able to deliver the results of the "secret shopper" first impression he was so excited to request of me. No free haircuts as he insisted. haha. He was SO elaborate with this story!

I know it's absurdly hilarious the whole thing, and I know I'll laugh about it very hard - say one year from now, when I know how everything happened. But right now, lol I gotta tell you I just cant believe the universe would give me such a bitter twist of irony, to even give me hope in such an absurd way. lol.

Oh life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque