Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 05:47 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,303,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I didn't even want to bother with them. Been using "fluorescent lamps/bulbs" wherever possible for over 20 years... The low energy bulbs keep getting cheaper and more efficient.

I have one incandescent bulb high up in the garage which has been operating daily since we moved into our current house in 1998. I'm considering what to name it.
Old Trusty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 AM

265 posts, read 809,374 times
I also posted my original question to my friends on Facebook. One friend there told me that when she moved into a new apartment, she would remove all of the landlord's original bulbs and replace them with new ones of her own, then switch them all back when she moved out.

This would never have occurred to me, and seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to, but it would solve the problem mentioned above of buying 10-year bulbs and leaving them behind!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,171,544 times
Thought I'd toss in the way I light my living room and studio - halogen lamps! I have three torchères (floor lamps). One lamp provides all the light I need to read by and light my entire living room. The lamps provide indirect (reflected) lighting from a reflective ceiling - in my case off white.

Yes, the halogen is hazardous if you are careless and let something flammable contact the bulb, but otherwise they are low energy users and produce an amazing amount of light for such tiny bulbs. And my bulbs have lasted several years before needing replacing.

For my studio space I've tried all sorts of lighting combinations trying to find a close match to sunlight and the halogen is as close as I've managed to get without spending much more for special color-corrected bulbs. My lamps also have dimmer switches, which is nice for subtler lighting. They were also inexpensive when I bought them at about $20 apiece.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Halogen lamps are an incandescent lamp, get a lot hotter than the non halogen incandescent lamp (can pose fire and burn hazards) and I do not believe they are as efficient as CFL and LED lamps. I quit using them when CFL and LED lamps became cheaper and last longer...

Old 10-31-2014, 12:31 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,667 times
I've got a few specialty halogen bulbs, I'd replace them all with LEDs but the options for the bulb type aren't that good yet... all the wrong color and don't dim well, as well as having too directional light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: