Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 PM

520 posts, read 612,680 times

Advertisements

A sad, devastating article about the troubled behavior of the APD: Shot by the Police in Albuquerque - The New Yorker

Hopefully the DOJ supervision will do some good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
A sad, devastating article about the troubled behavior of the APD: Shot by the Police in Albuquerque - The New Yorker

Hopefully the DOJ supervision will do some good.
Well, your article is from The New Yorker February 2, 2015 Issue...

Briefly, in April 2011 two Albuquerque Police Department detectives fatally shot Christopher Torres, a 27 year old mentally ill man attempting to serve a warrant for his arrest. You can read more from the 2011 news article: ABQJOURNAL NEWS/METRO: City Police Kill Son of County Official

A lot has happened since then, both good and bad....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-28-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 01:52 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times
Wow. Very eye opening.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,310,516 times
No way in hell I'd be a police officer in ABQ - thank goodness someone is willing to be though.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,177,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
No way in hell I'd be a police officer in ABQ - thank goodness someone is willing to be though.
As the saying goes...where there is smoke there is fire. And where there is fire, there is a need for fire fighters.

Same thing applies to crime and crime fighters.

In either instance, the more exposure the greater the danger of being "burned."

Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times
Yeah, but what's sad is there are probably some on the force (I'd like to think a lot) that would like the force cleaned up but don't feel they can speak out about it. The blue wall and all that stuff.

Heck, the cops are even giving the DA a hard time for her decision to prosecute (which I happen to agree with).

Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,455,553 times
Whatever you think of APD or the police in general, it's pretty clear the force picked up some bad officers during Chavez's push for expansion. The officer profiled in the article isn't the only individual at APD who you'd figure would have trouble getting hired for any job, let alone a police force. Hopefully the wave of mass retirement that has hit the department since the DOJ investigation began will help weed some of the bad seeds out. From what I have read locally, new training procedures are in place at the police academy and the new, much tougher admission standards imposed by Mayor Berry are starting to attract higher-quality recruits. Not enough of them - we would need to pay our police more for that - but all the problems created by Chavez's open-door policy surely demonstrate that quality beats quantity...

Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Whatever you think of APD or the police in general, it's pretty clear the force picked up some bad officers during Chavez's push for expansion. The officer profiled in the article isn't the only individual at APD who you'd figure would have trouble getting hired for any job, let alone a police force. Hopefully the wave of mass retirement that has hit the department since the DOJ investigation began will help weed some of the bad seeds out. From what I have read locally, new training procedures are in place at the police academy and the new, much tougher admission standards imposed by Mayor Berry are starting to attract higher-quality recruits. Not enough of them - we would need to pay our police more for that - but all the problems created by Chavez's open-door policy surely demonstrate that quality beats quantity...
You have some facts confused....

Chavez increased requirements to enter the police academy. Berry reduced or attempted to reduce them. You are correct that new training procedures are in place. I was, still am a fan of Mayor Chavez and Mayor Berry. But the whole issue is a bit more complex than just flapping your jaws.

Just my brief opinion...

Old 01-30-2015, 05:15 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,455,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You have some facts confused....

Chavez increased requirements to enter the police academy. Berry reduced or attempted to reduce them. You are correct that new training procedures are in place. I was, still am a fan of Mayor Chavez and Mayor Berry. But the whole issue is a bit more complex than just flapping your jaws.

Just my brief opinion...
I think in this case you're the one mistaken about the facts. Do your homework before you accuse someone of flapping their lips:

APD shrinking; Berry reveals incentive plan | Albuquerque Journal News

"Berry said his administration has increased admission standards at the police academy, which has dampened the number of new officers."

Mayor Announces Significant Changes to Police Academy — City of Albuquerque

"Starting with the 108th Cadet class, which is expected to begin this fall, potential cadets will be required to have at least 60 college-level credit hours or three years military experience..."

Editorial: There’s a backstory to APD’s 37 shootings | Albuquerque Journal News

"Now factor in that in the wake of an increasingly violent and disturbed population, Albuquerque under then-Mayor Martin Chávez pushed quantity over quality in APD’s ranks: removing the college requirement
[this part is untrue; it was actually removed a few years earlier under Jim Baca]; increasing the number of cadet classes each year (which reduced one-on-one training); and pushing to recruit lateral hires from other departments. Former APD Lt. Steve Tate, who ran training at the Police Academy from 2003 to 2006, says “political pressure” caused APD to “ignore and circumvent its own policies and practices to meet a number.” Many of the officers who have been involved in shootings were hired in the push to get to 1,100 sworn officers."

Regarding those lateral hires, this comes from the New Yorker article this thread is about:

"The department accepted officers from other police forces, even if they had been disciplined or fired, and it sometimes waived the psychological exam. Steve Tate, the director of training at the Albuquerque Police Academy, said that, after the hiring push, he noticed new cadets “exhibiting some characteristics that I thought were a little strange.” “They were not in charge of their emotions,” he told me. “People were breaking down into tears.” He spoke with the head of the department’s psychological unit, and asked why so many officers seemed psychologically unstable. “I could pick up a sense of worry from her,” he said. “She described to me feeling as though they were strong-armed into seating people that they didn’t feel were ready.” Peter DiVasto, a contract psychologist for the department, said in a deposition that psychologists felt that they were supposed to “err on the side of acceptance.” He testified that “deputy chiefs had been threatened with firing unless those numbers went up.”"

The slackening in admission requirements under Chavez has been extensively reported in pretty much every in-depth article or media piece about APD over the last couple years, and is described in detail in the Department of Justice report as well. Have you read that report? I am no fan of Berry or the way he's reacted to APD's problems, but am willing to give credit where credit is due...

Old 01-30-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
I think in this case you're the one mistaken about the facts. Do your homework before you accuse someone of flapping their lips:

APD shrinking; Berry reveals incentive plan | Albuquerque Journal News
From your reference above:
Quote:
APD shrinking; Berry reveals incentive plan
By Dan McKay / Journal Staff Writer
PUBLISHED: Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 12:03 am

The number of sworn officers in Albuquerque’s police force has fallen 15 percent over the last three years, according to figures provided by the city.
Mayor Richard J. Berry was sworn into office on December 1st, 2009. The claimed drops of "APD shrinking" would have begun after Mayor Berry had taken office...

Also from the reference above:

Quote:
The Berry administration reduced salaries for officers and other employees in 2010, a move Berry says was necessary to balance the budget amid a recession without raising taxes or cutting services.
End of discussion for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque